fence tips and tricks

Share knowledge or ideas about doing anything and everything.
Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Re: fence tips and tricks

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:52 pm

callmefence wrote:We always roll out the bottom wire backwards on purpose so the barbs point down.
Makes the pigs squeak.

That's why they call you Fence....You think of everything. ;-)
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:16 pm

Farm Fence Solutions wrote:
greybeard wrote:
Farm Fence Solutions wrote:

But then, if you were going south, the barbs would be upside down....wouldn't they? :???:

Just 1/2 of them...

Seems like twice as many would be upside down if it was 4 point instead of 2 point??? You sure it's just half?

Yes, I'm sure. The other 1/2 would be downside up.
1 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Tbrake
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Tbrake » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:24 am

I wouldn’t use high tensle wire if it was free. Hate that crap. 100% Oklahoma brand 12.5 gauge here. More expensive, but 100x better. Lasts longer, stronger, easier to work with.
0 x

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:00 am

Anybody ever intentionally put a Jakes wire tightener in a strand of electrified barbed wire, to be able to add tension as the need arises? Better solution available? Soon as snakes go in, I'm going to overhaul my bull pen.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:08 am

No. I've used them recently to effect quick repairs after the flood, but from what I've seen, they are good for one or 2 twists at the most, but I wouldn't try to use one as a permanent fixture to continually tighten with another twist every 6 months or so..asking for the wire to break.

Now, a gripple, should fit the bill just fine. You'd just have to loosen or remove a barb as you pulled 'fresh' wire into the gripple.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:16 am

greybeard wrote:No. I've used them recently to effect quick repairs after the flood, but from what I've seen, they are good for one or 2 twists at the most, but I wouldn't try to use one as a permanent fixture to continually tighten with another twist every 6 months or so..asking for the wire to break.

Now, a gripple, should fit the bill just fine. You'd just have to loosen or remove a barb as you pulled 'fresh' wire into the gripple.

I didn't know the Jake's were so limited.
0 x

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:18 am

Tons of persimmon trees in my bull pen. Deer pretty well constantly hanging the wire. I only send the juice to it, the few months out of the year the bulls are in it.
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:39 am

Bigfoot wrote:
greybeard wrote:No. I've used them recently to effect quick repairs after the flood, but from what I've seen, they are good for one or 2 twists at the most, but I wouldn't try to use one as a permanent fixture to continually tighten with another twist every 6 months or so..asking for the wire to break.

I didn't know the Jake's were so limited.

Well, there's just so much room on the thing to begin with and I have bent more than one trying to get too much slack pulled out, and had to add another down the line in a different location, but mine was an extreme case where 1000' of fence had been stressed all the way down the line from water borne debris. Jakes tighteners are pretty strong, but they ain't 'that' strong.
Your bull pen may be manageable with them.
0 x

ChrisB
GURU
GURU

Postby ChrisB » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:24 pm

They make heavier Jakes tighteners now but haven't tried any. I use them, but it seems you only get one chance to tighten heavier wire with them. Go back a year later and they have collapsed and if it needs to be tightened again you have to add another one. But I don't like the fence too tight as it seems to just assist the frost in pulling the corners out.
0 x

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:21 pm

Tbrake wrote:I wouldn’t use high tensle wire if it was free. Hate that crap. 100% Oklahoma brand 12.5 gauge here. More expensive, but 100x better. Lasts longer, stronger, easier to work with.

High tensile wire is a pretty broad spectrum. Care to elaborate?
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:24 pm

Bigfoot wrote:Anybody ever intentionally put a Jakes wire tightener in a strand of electrified barbed wire, to be able to add tension as the need arises? Better solution available? Soon as snakes go in, I'm going to overhaul my bull pen.

If you ever warm up to Gripples, you'll never look back. Give me a shout if you want to sample a few.
0 x

Tbrake
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Tbrake » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:40 pm

Any type of Groucho wire. (However it’s spelled) stay tuff or something like that. Beyond electric fence, that stuff is useless.
0 x

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:13 pm

Tbrake wrote:Any type of Groucho wire. (However it’s spelled) stay tuff or something like that. Beyond electric fence, that stuff is useless.

With evidence like that, how could I argue?
0 x

M.Magis
GURU
GURU

Postby M.Magis » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:15 pm

Funny how opinions differ. Gaucho HT barbed wire is my first choice, by a large margin. I don’t plan to ever use 12.5 guage again. Costs twice as much and cows respect it about as much as smooth wire.
0 x

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:15 am

M.Magis wrote:Funny how opinions differ. Gaucho HT barbed wire is my first choice, by a large margin. I don’t plan to ever use 12.5 guage again. Costs twice as much and cows respect it about as much as smooth wire.

McArthur Lumber and Post, about 2 hours from you, has 14 and 16 gauge Tornado HT barb in stock. If you ever have the chance, stop in and buy a roll of the 14 gauge and give it a try. You'll have a new first choice, by an even larger margin. :tiphat:
0 x

Return to “Tips 'n Tricks”