fence tips and tricks

Share knowledge or ideas about doing anything and everything.
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Re: fence tips and tricks

Postby True Grit Farms » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:05 am

Be careful when working with HT wire, and carry a cutting tool and cell phone. I almost lost a finger and foot releasing a tensioner. I shot the wire with my pistol after making 4 phone calls for help, and that was probably one of the dumbest moves of my life. I must of flinched when I pulled the trigger and the bullet just nicked the wire and a piece of the bullet went in my foot. Talking about shooting yourself in the foot, I did it. The worst part is I still had to wait for my wife to bring me the fence pliers from the barn to cut myself out.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:07 am

True Grit Farms wrote:Be careful when working with HT wire, and carry a cutting tool and cell phone. I almost lost a finger and foot releasing a tensioner. I shot the wire with my pistol after making 4 phone calls for help, and that was probably one of the dumbest moves of my life. I must of flinched when I pulled the trigger and the bullet just nicked the wire and a piece of the bullet went in my foot. Talking about shooting yourself in the foot, I did it. The worst part is I still had to wait for my wife to bring me the fence pliers from the barn to cut myself out.

That's a good story Greybeard! :lol: Glad you survived it.
The guy I started in the fence business with was a tightwad. He would try to salvage anything of "value" on a tear out to take home and use. He was stripping HT out of ratchets one day when an end coiled back and stabbed him in the left thumb......The same thumb he had just landed a 28 oz silent swing on that morning. Fast forward a few days, and the thumb was infected from the wire stab. Doc was going to amputate if the thumb was broken from the hammer landing. Lucky for him, no broken bone in there. (He swings like a girl) I now have a rule against salvaging ratchets for safety's sake, not to mention the deficit it puts you in if you value your time.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:22 am

Calhoun103 wrote:I've been reading through this discussion. Someone mentioned a friend losing a finger to HT wire. I have very little experience with HT, but one of my concerns is breakage of wire strained so tight. It seems it could really do some damage over a wide area given wide post spacing. Does rThat concern anyone?

Also, what is the traditional woven wire fence used in the Texas Hill country? I know it's 12 inch vertical stays, but I have heard / seen 32" wire built up with barbed wire and taller woven wire.

Thanks

Hands down the most popular net wire in the hill country is 93912.
9 horizontal
39" tall
12" stays
We build this fence with 4 stands of barbwire.
1 under
1 flush with top of net
2 on top for a finished height of 4 1/2 feet
0 x
The more I work the luckier I get...TexasBred

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:34 am

Farm Fence Solutions wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:Be careful when working with HT wire, and carry a cutting tool and cell phone. I almost lost a finger and foot releasing a tensioner. I shot the wire with my pistol after making 4 phone calls for help, and that was probably one of the dumbest moves of my life. I must of flinched when I pulled the trigger and the bullet just nicked the wire and a piece of the bullet went in my foot. Talking about shooting yourself in the foot, I did it. The worst part is I still had to wait for my wife to bring me the fence pliers from the barn to cut myself out.

TG..not Greybeard.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:09 am

greybeard wrote:

TG..not Greybeard.

My mistake. I got over excited catching up on everything I've missed in the past week. Still glad you didn't die.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

libertygarden
Beginner
Beginner

Postby libertygarden » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:11 pm

callmefence wrote:Sure sounds like your brace is giving. When your pulling a wire and the other wires get slack you braces are leaning in.
Build a stronger brace. In just black soil 3' is probably you problem. Another foot can make a big difference.
Good luck

Absolutely correct, upon closer inspection, the posts are loose. I can see a gap where they leaned. I’ll need to go a foot deeper. Would it help to use quickrete or just more depth and tamping?

Thanks,
0 x

fence_it
Beginner
Beginner

Postby fence_it » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:54 pm

This is an interesting and informative thread. Glad I found it.

One question I have, mainly for Farm Fence Solutions, is are they any major differences between fixed knot Tornado wire and other fixed knot wire like Stay Tuff or Toughstrand?
0 x

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:13 am

fence_it wrote:This is an interesting and informative thread. Glad I found it.

One question I have, mainly for Farm Fence Solutions, is are they any major differences between fixed knot Tornado wire and other fixed knot wire like Stay Tuff or Toughstrand?

Yes, in my opinion the differences are major. Tornado is a fence wire manufacturer, while Stay Tuff and Toughstrand are in the steel business. (Deacero Steel and Tree Island Steel, respectively.) They are, and will remain in the business of moving tons of steel. Quality and customer satisfaction are top priority with Tornado, and it shows in their products. All of the people in the factory have been on fencing crews to see what a difference the quality makes, and how a bobble in the process can really flub things up in the field. Tornado was started by fence builders, and they are still there making sure that things are done right. One of the founders visited callmefence with me, and I think that Fence would agree that they take the fence business very seriously. You will always get dead even line wire tension with Tornado. Stay Tuff is the next best, in my testing, but always has a 20% variance in line wire tension on the same roll. Tornado just goes up easier and tighter. I've managed to get a few guys on here converted to our barbed wire, and they seem to be hooked. We also have 1/4 mile rolls of net and mile rolls of barbed, so for a serious contractor, we can help with efficiency. The best way to see the difference would be to give some a try one of these days. I think you'd be pleasantly surprised. Welcome to the forum. :wave:
1 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:27 am

Yes, in my opinion the differences are major. Tornado is a fence wire manufacturer, while Stay Tuff and Toughstrand are in the steel business. (Deacero Steel and Tree Island Steel, respectively.) They are, and will remain in the business of moving tons of steel. Quality and customer satisfaction are top priority with Tornado, and it shows in their products. All of the people in the factory have been on fencing crews to see what a difference the quality makes, and how a bobble in the process can really flub things up in the field. Tornado was started by fence builders, and they are still there making sure that things are done right. One of the founders visited callmefence with me, and I think that Fence would agree that they take the fence business very seriously. You will always get dead even line wire tension with Tornado. Stay Tuff is the next best, in my testing, but always has a 20% variance in line wire tension on the same roll. Tornado just goes up easier and tighter. I've managed to get a few guys on here converted to our barbed wire, and they seem to be hooked. We also have 1/4 mile rolls of net and mile rolls of barbed, so for a serious contractor, we can help with efficiency. The best way to see the difference would be to give some a try one of these days. I think you'd be pleasantly surprised. Welcome to the forum. :wave:

I couldn't imagine why a person would travel across a ocean. Then drive several hours to est lunch with a small town fence contractor.
To be quite honest I was expecting to meet a high pressure sales team. I even had my handler attend the meeting. Instead I met Stevie. Who simply wanted to talk fence, look at fence and I m pretty sure if had some ready he would have built some fence.
I'm not quite sure what's wrong with Stevie, but his passion can be seen in his product. Tornado wire.
1 x

David Crockett

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:40 am

libertygarden wrote:
callmefence wrote:Sure sounds like your brace is giving. When your pulling a wire and the other wires get slack you braces are leaning in.
Build a stronger brace. In just black soil 3' is probably you problem. Another foot can make a big difference.
Good luck

Absolutely correct, upon closer inspection, the posts are loose. I can see a gap where they leaned. I’ll need to go a foot deeper. Would it help to use quickrete or just more depth and tamping?

Thanks,

As far as fixing what you already have. The best solution is to make a double brace. And make sure you plant that new post to kingdom come. The brace has probably done most of its leaning as it's compacted some soil in doing so. Buy go ahead and get it fixed up right when you can. Because you can bet when it gives it will be when you don't have time to work on it.
0 x

David Crockett

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:06 pm

http://www.farmfencetalk.co.uk/

I'm not trying to drive business away from the CT forums, but this is a good place to see what the guys that have been using Tornado for decades have to say about it.
0 x

fence_it
Beginner
Beginner

Postby fence_it » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:58 pm

Thanks for the replies Farm Fence Solutions and callmefence. Me and my dad are running a fence install company and we are always looking for better products. I'll show him Tornado's website. We finally entirely switched over our woven wire from hinge joint H&W to fixed knot Toughstrand. We have put up about 10,000 feet in the last month and really love it. Stretches so much nicer and makes a much better fence.
0 x

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:46 pm

fence_it wrote:Thanks for the replies Farm Fence Solutions and callmefence. Me and my dad are running a fence install company and we are always looking for better products. I'll show him Tornado's website. We finally entirely switched over our woven wire from hinge joint H&W to fixed knot Toughstrand. We have put up about 10,000 feet in the last month and really love it. Stretches so much nicer and makes a much better fence.

I assume you are somewhere west of the Rockies since you are using Toughstrand? It's hard to use hinge joint once you've had your hands on fixed knot. :nod:
0 x

fence_it
Beginner
Beginner

Postby fence_it » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:02 pm

fence_it wrote:Thanks for the replies Farm Fence Solutions and callmefence. Me and my dad are running a fence install company and we are always looking for better products. I'll show him Tornado's website. We finally entirely switched over our woven wire from hinge joint H&W to fixed knot Toughstrand. We have put up about 10,000 feet in the last month and really love it. Stretches so much nicer and makes a much better fence.

I assume you are somewhere west of the Rockies since you are using Toughstrand? It's hard to use hinge joint once you've had your hands on fixed knot. :nod:

Yes. We are in Oregon. With Toughstrand coming out of BC it is readily available here. If I remember right, we used some Stay Tuff several years ago but I don't know how we got ahold of it as I have never seen it for sale here.
0 x

libertygarden
Beginner
Beginner

Postby libertygarden » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:44 pm

callmefence wrote:
libertygarden wrote:
Good luck

Thanks,

As far as fixing what you already have. The best solution is to make a double brace. And make sure you plant that new post to kingdom come. The brace has probably done most of its leaning as it's compacted some soil in doing so. Buy go ahead and get it fixed up right when you can. Because you can bet when it gives it will be when you don't have time to work on it.

This is mind boggling. In dry, caliche, rocky terrain I've never had to go deeper than 60 CM (2 foot) and the corner posts stay firm for decades. I'll dig out the brace and go down 1 more foot. I just wonder if 3' was not enough, what's so magical about 4'. When the rains come, which is what happened after I did the brace, the black clay soil becomes very soft.

Thanks.
0 x

Return to “Tips 'n Tricks”