fence tips and tricks

Share knowledge or ideas about doing anything and everything.
libertygarden
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: fence tips and tricks

Post by libertygarden » Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:41 pm

Finsished repairing an 80 yard stretch of old fence. I added a new line of low carbon and pulled the old wire as tight as possible. A couple of strands broke but after patching them, the fence turned out decent.

My adventures in ranching and gardening.
http://www.youtube.com/c/LibertyGarden

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Post by wbvs58 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:23 am

I always find it very satisfying when you get to tidy up an old fence like that. No reason why you can't get another 10 or 20 years out of it.

Ken

libertygarden
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by libertygarden » Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:17 pm

Yes, the wire is a little toasted but it'll do as an internal fence.

Hippie Rancher
GURU
GURU

Post by Hippie Rancher » Fri May 01, 2020 11:03 am

david1852 wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:45 am
Any tips for catching the SOB that does this and then flees the scene? Bad part is that I just finished it last week.

Took out a corner with 8" posts broke off all at the ground, high tensile fixed knot wire and a strand of HT barbed wire.

rock and concrete corner structure might stop them long enough to see who it was next time :mrgreen:

david1852
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by david1852 » Fri May 01, 2020 10:59 pm

rock and concrete corner structure might stop them long enough to see who it was next time :mrgreen:
[/quote]

I know, right? I just about have everything built back but went back with wood posts again. Only have to put the top strand of barbed wire back up.

My fence is on a straight stretch of road with good visibility all around. By looking at the skid marks, he ran off the road, over corrected, swapped ends and went through my fence sideways. I can't believe the vehicle was still drivable but it was gone. The only part laying around was a passenger side mirror. No glass or plastic debris. One thing for sure is that the driver went for a heck of a ride.

While working on it I've been checking out the cars that pass by hoping to spot one that's been wrecked and missing a mirror but around here that's pretty much the norm. :D

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Post by wbvs58 » Sat May 02, 2020 3:24 am

It should be easy to find, the one with the corner post impression on its side.

Ken

Dave
GURU
GURU

Post by Dave » Sat May 02, 2020 8:35 am

I hate fixing fence. In the last 4 months or so different people cut my fence 4 different times. All for legitimate reasons. Twice for cows and twice for equipment. But in none of these cases did they fix the fence after cutting it. They always left it for me to do. Did I mention that I hate fixing fence.

david1852
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by david1852 » Sat May 02, 2020 5:39 pm

In addition to the guy tearing this section down. Also this week, had one guy slide through the stop sign/ intersection and comes to rest against another section of fence but didn't tear it up. Pulled him out of the ditch and he offered to pay but I just sent him on his way. Two days later another guy slides through the same intersection and didn't do any damage. He was gone before I got there.

Got lucky 2 out of three times.

sstterry
GURU
GURU

Post by sstterry » Sat May 02, 2020 6:07 pm

david1852 wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 5:39 pm
In addition to the guy tearing this section down. Also this week, had one guy slide through the stop sign/ intersection and comes to rest against another section of fence but didn't tear it up. Pulled him out of the ditch and he offered to pay but I just sent him on his way. Two days later another guy slides through the same intersection and didn't do any damage. He was gone before I got there.

Sounds to me like they need flashing lights and rumble strips. Is this a State or County Road? They need to get an engineer out there to look at it. Someone is going to get killed.

ccr
Rancher
Rancher

Post by ccr » Sat May 02, 2020 6:28 pm

A corner of our property is at a 90 degree bend in the road with the ditch along the road about 3' deep. After someone running off of the road, jumping the ditch and into our fence and tearing out a few hundred feet. We set the fence back 10' and put in new 'h' braces so the next time only about 200' of fence would be affected. We also put chevron turn signs on the fence to hopefully have a visual to alert the traffic this is a sharp corner. We also dug a ditch and built a berm so the next time maybe we can keep the vehicle from easily being moved. Next time our fence gets destroyed we plan on moving back another 10' and put in panels so that we will only have to replace a 10' panel and a post instead of 200' of fence.

The county wasn't much help, but did install a big turn indicator sign and cut back some trees on the inside of the corner to help with being able to see. We put the red panels up thinking it maybe would help with a visual.

This happened last year on a straight part the of road.

i know as much about this as anything else i don't know much about
happiness is healthy cattle

david1852
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by david1852 » Sat May 02, 2020 10:36 pm

sstterry wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 6:07 pm
david1852 wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 5:39 pm

Sounds to me like they need flashing lights and rumble strips. Is this a State or County Road? They need to get an engineer out there to look at it. Someone is going to get killed.
Rumble strips was exactly what I had in mind. I actually went to the DOT last Monday and spoke with the secretary, the engineer was off that day. She was to give my contact info to him and have him call me but he hasn't called yet.

ccr- the panels sounds like a great idea. Replacing a couple panels and t-posts at midnight would be a whole lot faster and easier than trying to put back a temporary barbed wire fence in the dark.

sstterry
GURU
GURU

Post by sstterry » Sun May 03, 2020 5:09 am

david1852 wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 10:36 pm
Rumble strips was exactly what I had in mind. I actually went to the DOT last Monday and spoke with the secretary, the engineer was off that day. She was to give my contact info to him and have him call me but he hasn't called yet.
Write a letter to the Regional Supervisor of DOT. Send a cop tho the State Commissioner and also their Legal Dept. Tell them in the letter that there have been multiple accidents at the intersection and there is a real threat that someone will be seriously injured or killed. Document everything with them and call and write them each time this happens. My guess is, that will get their attention to fix the situation.

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Post by Caustic Burno » Sun May 03, 2020 6:17 am

I don’t know if anything will work as you are most likely dealing with distracted drivers ( cell phone).
I have an intersection about 2 miles from my house where a FM meets a major US Hwy. This is a tee with all kinds of signage everywhere . About once a month someone blows through the stop sign crosses five lanes of highway and ends up in the woods.
“All I’m for is the liberty of the individual.” – John Wayne

greggy
GURU
GURU

Post by greggy » Tue May 05, 2020 7:53 am

david1852 wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 10:59 pm
I know, right? I just about have everything built back but went back with wood posts again. Only have to put the top strand of barbed wire back up.

My fence is on a straight stretch of road with good visibility all around. By looking at the skid marks, he ran off the road, over corrected, swapped ends and went through my fence sideways. I can't believe the vehicle was still drivable but it was gone. The only part laying around was a passenger side mirror. No glass or plastic debris. One thing for sure is that the driver went for a heck of a ride.

While working on it I've been checking out the cars that pass by hoping to spot one that's been wrecked and missing a mirror but around here that's pretty much the norm. :D

Your top barb sure would have made a mess of the paint work though....lol...

If you put stronger concrete posts sunk deep, then you would be fixing all broken wires.

I would prob build some substantial barrier behind this, and then run another internal fence far enough back to retain any stock and keep others out, then you only need to see if they are there and if the inner fence got damaged, fix the other later.

Then they will totally miss the corner :)

libertygarden
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by libertygarden » Tue May 05, 2020 9:46 am

I got this wire gap built over the weekend.