fence tips and tricks

Share knowledge or ideas about doing anything and everything.
libertygarden
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: fence tips and tricks

Post by libertygarden » Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:21 pm

Split both ends, free of barbs, then bring them crotch to crotch and twist each strand counter to the other.

My adventures in ranching and gardening.
http://www.youtube.com/c/LibertyGarden

david1852
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by david1852 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:27 pm

Gotcha, thanks

GoWyo
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by GoWyo » Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:00 pm

Scissor splice:

david1852
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by david1852 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:25 pm

GoWyo wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:00 pm
Scissor splice:

Thanks for the video. Using the scissor method looks like it works very well when using newer wire. In my case with repairing old rusty wire, it would snap right in two.

What I'm doing now when repairing the rusty fences is using the Splice It tube style ferrules and crimping with modified bolt cutters. It has worked great when splicing together a broken strand or tightening . Just put the Goldenrod
on the slack wire, take up the slack, cut out the excess and splice it back. It has worked very well so far.

I also have a Stay Tuff crimp tool and the correct Stay Tuff crimp sleeves on order to use on new fences using height tensile fixed knot net wire and high tensile barbed wire. I've been using Gripples on new fences but wanted to try crimp sleeves since they're cheaper.

Col Reb
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by Col Reb » Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:21 pm

This has probably already been addressed but I don’t have time to read through all 110 pages. Folks around home(MS) are using washed gravel for posts. I have always used quikrete but they are saying the posts are supposed to last a lot longer with the gravel. Says it the gravel locks in place & keeps the posts tight. What are your thoughts?
Papaw always said It’s a lot easier to shut the gate than getting a bunch of cows out of the road....

libertygarden
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by libertygarden » Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:07 pm

I use roadbase in black clay soil. It works better than quikrete.

david1852
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by david1852 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:47 pm

I had been using crusher run but made the switch to washed small stone. Its about the same size as pea gravel, which is round, but it's small crushed granite. I still have to tamp it around the posts but it packs so much faster and it's irregular shapes makes it pack harder too.

My land is red clay.

libertygarden
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by libertygarden » Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:23 am

The only reason I use road base is that it's cheaper than washed stone or gravel. Early on I realized that in black clay it doesn't matter much if you have a ball of concrete at the bottom. When the soil contracts in summer, the post with the ball of concrete at the bottom moves under the pull pressure. Base or gravel, on the other hand, not being cemented to the post, settle when the soil contracts.

The other alternative is to bury the post 4' deep where the soil temp is more stable and soil does not expand or contract. I do that sometimes when I don't have road base and dump 1 bag of krete and the rest I back fill with dirt.

sstterry
GURU
GURU

Post by sstterry » Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:14 am

Col Reb wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:21 pm
This has probably already been addressed but I don’t have time to read through all 110 pages. Folks around home(MS) are using washed gravel for posts. I have always used quikrete but they are saying the posts are supposed to last a lot longer with the gravel. Says it the gravel locks in place & keeps the posts tight. What are your thoughts?
Rock will allow the water to drain. Any type of concrete will hold the water against the post and eventually cause rot, treated or not.

david1852
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by david1852 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:49 am

It finally stopped raining long enough to replace a section of a cross fence this weekend. I used a lot of the great tips/ materials in this thread that made things go quicker and smoother than the way I used to do things... 6 strands Gaucho 15.5ga high tensile barb wire, Gripple T-Clips, Medium Gripples, Strainrite chain strainer, Danuser T3 T-post driver. Wooden posts set and tamped with washed gravel at 42" deep.
Now I can close off this pasture to make ready for hay cutting in a few months.

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Bigfoot » Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:07 am

I've got a couple of friends that tamp fence post with gravel. I usually use concrete on my corners and just dirt in line. You guys using gravel, any problems with the post leaning when you strain? Also you stretching on the same day you tamp?
Your not a small business owner. Your a stay at home mom trapped in a pyramid scheme.

david1852
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by david1852 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:18 pm

I didn't have any problems with leaning posts and I could pick a tune on the wire. I was afraid I was going to break the HT wire. I was unsure how tight to pull it without breaking.

I stretched my wire the next day after tamping but only because I ran out of daylight. When I use gravel I can stretch right away, doesn't effect the post.

What is the best way to tell when the wire is tight enough without breaking?

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Bigfoot » Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:34 pm

david1852 wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:18 pm
I didn't have any problems with leaning posts and I could pick a tune on the wire. I was afraid I was going to break the HT wire. I was unsure how tight to pull it without breaking.

I stretched my wire the next day after tamping but only because I ran out of daylight. When I use gravel I can stretch right away, doesn't effect the post.

I have been known to intentionally break HT wire, to get all the give out of it. Splice, and restretch. Not recomending this practice, just saying I sometimes do it.
Your not a small business owner. Your a stay at home mom trapped in a pyramid scheme.

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Post by wbvs58 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:24 pm

david1852 wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:18 pm

I bought a tensionometer and thought it was money well spent. I get it correctly tight now without damaging the wire. It is similar to the one I have seen Farmfence use in his videos.

Ken

ccr
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by ccr » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:39 pm

We used a chevy s10 pickup and a come-a-long once to stretch some fence and when the come-a-long started pulling the little truck back we figured it was tight enough. That was about 15 years ago and it's still tight.
i know as much about this as anything else i don't know much about
happiness is healthy cattle