Gripple contractor tool

Share knowledge or ideas about doing anything and everything.
callmefence
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3461
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:36 pm
Location: Fencemans place...central Texas

Gripple contractor tool

Postby callmefence » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:25 pm

Is not a one trick pony. Strippin net wire is extremely tedious. Not any more.

Image



Image[/ur








[url=https://postimg.org/image/kwkigr6gl/]Image





Image


And once striped , stretched and hooked up.
You can use it to get a little more tension and seat your tclips.


Image



Image
0 x
IF IT AIN'T TIGHT IT AIN'T RIGHT...


You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

User avatar
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3169
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:57 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Gripple contractor tool

Postby Bright Raven » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:34 pm

Hey. I can pop the barbs off barb wire now and never take the strand out of the tool. I have not used mine on net wire yet. Great tool.
0 x

User avatar
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3169
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:57 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Gripple contractor tool

Postby Bright Raven » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:36 pm

I see you are using the clips rather than a twist.
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3461
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:36 pm
Location: Fencemans place...central Texas

Re: Gripple contractor tool

Postby callmefence » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:42 pm

Bright Raven wrote:I see you are using the clips rather than a twist.


Raven..a skilled guy with young hands ( my son) takes 30 minutes to strip and properly neatly make off horse wire. With the tclips about 5 minutes and were getting faster.
This particular job has 52 hookups....do the math. Add to the fact that a guy not near as handy with his pliers as my son. Can do it almost as fast. And just as neat
0 x
IF IT AIN'T TIGHT IT AIN'T RIGHT...


You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

User avatar
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3169
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:57 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Gripple contractor tool

Postby Bright Raven » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:55 pm

callmefence wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:I see you are using the clips rather than a twist.


Raven..a skilled guy with young hands ( my son) takes 30 minutes to strip and properly neatly make off horse wire. With the tclips about 5 minutes and were getting faster.
This particular job has 52 hookups....do the math. Add to the fact that a guy not near as handy with his pliers as my son. Can do it almost as fast. And just as neat


Yes sir. It is the only way to fly. Wonder why you don't see more fencers using them?

BTW: I would still trade the tool to have the dexterity in my hands that I once had. :kid:
0 x

User avatar
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4509
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:29 pm
Location: Middle Georgia

Re: Gripple contractor tool

Postby True Grit Farms » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:12 pm

callmefence wrote:Is not a one trick pony. Strippin net wire is extremely tedious. Not any more.

Image



Image[/ur








[url=https://postimg.org/image/kwkigr6gl/]Image





Image


And once striped , stretched and hooked up.
You can use it to get a little more tension and seat your tclips.


Image



Image

That horse fence with 3 strands of barbed wire over the top makes a great looking security fence.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

callmefence
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3461
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:36 pm
Location: Fencemans place...central Texas

Re: Gripple contractor tool

Postby callmefence » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:14 pm

You don't have to even cut the stays. We find it easier to do so.
Image

About 800 feet of tornado horse wire. Stood up with no ties at all. Just pulled tight.



Image
0 x
IF IT AIN'T TIGHT IT AIN'T RIGHT...


You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

User avatar
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3169
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:57 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Gripple contractor tool

Postby Bright Raven » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:20 pm

Thanks a lot for that. Fencing is something I enjoy.
0 x

User avatar
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3169
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:57 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Gripple contractor tool

Postby Bright Raven » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:34 pm

callmefence wrote:Raven..a skilled guy with young hands ( my son) takes 30 minutes to strip and properly neatly make off horse wire. With the tclips about 5 minutes and were getting faster.
This particular job has 52 hookups....do the math. Add to the fact that a guy not near as handy with his pliers as my son. Can do it almost as fast. And just as neat

Fence:

I been wondering. Lots of fencing tools like the gripple torque tool, use a jaw to hold the wire. Same with a Golden Rod. Those jaws leave a laceration or etching on the wire, not sure the proper term but you know what I mean. I worry that those lacerations in the wire create a place where the wire is subject to breaking.

Tell me whether I should be worried?
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3461
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:36 pm
Location: Fencemans place...central Texas

Re: Gripple contractor tool

Postby callmefence » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:04 pm

Well with a gripple if you're stretching or tensioning as the foreigner's say. The wire your gripping is gonna end up being trimmed off. Right.
Different deal with a goldenrod, even a wire dog. But I don't think you'll hurt high tensile wire with a goldenrod. More the other way round. It's never been a problem for me. I think you can sleep tight...

Fwiw we don't pull to full tension with either of these tools. They are for finishing a stretch and hooking up..wether it be a gut stretch like Luke does . Or stretched properly like I do...
Image

Luke finishes in the middle. I finish at end
0 x
IF IT AIN'T TIGHT IT AIN'T RIGHT...


You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

User avatar
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3169
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:57 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Gripple contractor tool

Postby Bright Raven » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:08 pm

callmefence wrote:Well with a gripple if you're stretching or tensioning as the foreigner's say. The wire your gripping is gonna end up being trimmed off. Right.
Different deal with a goldenrod, even a wire dog. But I don't think you'll hurt high tensile wire with a goldenrod. More the other way round. It's never been a problem for me. I think you can sleep tight...

Fwiw we don't pull to full tension with either of these tools. They are for finishing a stretch and hooking up..wether it be a gut stretch like Luke does . Or stretched properly like I do...
Image

Luke finishes in the middle. I finish at end


Yes. I know what you mean by the gut stretch. I have a hard time thinking that is correct. I do end stretches with all my barb wire. Then I hold it with the Goldenrod. Which leaves the lacerations.
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3461
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:36 pm
Location: Fencemans place...central Texas

Re: Gripple contractor tool

Postby callmefence » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:20 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
callmefence wrote:Well with a gripple if you're stretching or tensioning as the foreigner's say. The wire your gripping is gonna end up being trimmed off. Right.
Different deal with a goldenrod, even a wire dog. But I don't think you'll hurt high tensile wire with a goldenrod. More the other way round. It's never been a problem for me. I think you can sleep tight...

Fwiw we don't pull to full tension with either of these tools. They are for finishing a stretch and hooking up..wether it be a gut stretch like Luke does . Or stretched properly like I do...
Image

Luke finishes in the middle. I finish at end


Yes. I know what you mean by the gut stretch. I have a hard time thinking that is correct. I do end stretches with all my barb wire. Then I hold it with the Goldenrod. Which leaves the lacerations.


Sounds like your doing it right to me. :nod:
If your worried about the scratches give it a squirt of cold galvanized spray paint.
1 x
IF IT AIN'T TIGHT IT AIN'T RIGHT...


You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

fence_it
Beginner
Beginner
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:31 pm

Re: Gripple contractor tool

Postby fence_it » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:57 pm

As a fence builder, gripples really interested me for awhile. But not sure I see the advantage anymore. The cost seems to be a lot more substantial than crimp sleeves. I know they allow for tensioning, but we use Hayes chain grabs or permanent wire strainers for tensioning braces/smooth wire and stretcher bars for woven wire. Definitely a learning curve with these, but once you get some experience with these tools a guy can use them quite quickly and still do a good job, just takes some practice.

Right now we are using either Hayes or Kiwi sleeves(Very high quality-not the farm store junk) with nicopress crimpers from Kencove. They work very well and make a good strong join. It does take some skill to use them quickly and correctly. But compared to the gripples, 100 of them can be bought for about $15. Not sure what a 100 gripples would cost but I'm sure it would be much more.

One final thought, it almost seems as if gripples take the skill out of fence building. I may just be weird, but I enjoying tying off wires by hand and making a good-clean looking wrap. If I want to confuse the new guy on the crew I just start snapping off wires when I'm tying off high-tensile :lol:

Not trying to start an argument or anything, just my :2cents: on the topic. I know some fence contractors around here who use gripples and they all put up good strong fences.
1 x

User avatar
greybeard
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 14478
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:51 pm
Location: Cleveland Tx

Re: Gripple contractor tool

Postby greybeard » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:22 pm

Ron, you'll risk doing more damage (and not much then ) tying and stapling than you will with goldenrod or gripple tool's little jaws. But, I've lately followed Fenceman's lead and mostly use wire dogs on shackles with a golden rod or comealong. Not because the dogs don't have jaws, but just because they hold better. Tighter you pull, the more they grip.
2 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

User avatar
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3169
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:57 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Gripple contractor tool

Postby Bright Raven » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:26 am

fence_it wrote:
One final thought, it almost seems as if gripples take the skill out of fence building. I may just be weird, but I enjoying tying off wires by hand and making a good-clean looking wrap. If I want to confuse the new guy on the crew I just start snapping off wires when I'm tying off high-tensile :lol:


They can't if you don't have fencing skill to Start with. Like me. Lol

It helps me a lot. I like the brace kit. None of my braces before the torque tool would hold tension with brace wire because I didn't do enough of them to obtain the necessary skill. I can do that with the gripple torque tool. I guess it may be cheating but for the land owner who builds and maintains just his own fence, it is literally, another tool in the box.
1 x


Return to “Tips 'n Tricks”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests