Foot question

Horse management, health, feeding and grooming.
User avatar
reeler
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 307
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:30 pm
Location: Land of Oz

Foot question

Postby reeler » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:41 am

I have an older gelding with a history of foot problems since he foundered 4 years ago.He's been doing fine, until it got muddy. Now he is limping & has 1 foot that stinks to high heaven. I'm treating it was an antifungal/thrush type product. The temps have gotten colder so mud isn't an issue right now-thus I'm Not keeping him penned up. Feedback appreciated.
0 x

User avatar
Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 10907
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:31 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Foot question

Postby Bigfoot » Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:48 pm

That could be a host of issues. Abcess, affects of the founder, thrush, frozen ground. Do you know how to pressure test a foot?
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

User avatar
reeler
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 307
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:30 pm
Location: Land of Oz

Re: Foot question

Postby reeler » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:52 pm

Bigfoot wrote:That could be a host of issues. Abcess, affects of the founder, thrush, frozen ground. Do you know how to pressure test a foot?

No,I don't, but i can tell you its sensitive. He'll let me pick it up, but is uncomfortable. I'll Google about pressure test & see what I can find. The extreme smell is why I've been treating for thrush.
0 x

wbvs58
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3045
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:45 am
Location: S.E. Queensland, Australia

Re: Foot question

Postby wbvs58 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:37 pm

It sounds like an abscess but what does his sole look like? Nice and concave like a normal horse with good tough feet, very flat or convex as in dropped like a horse that has foundered?

Ken
0 x

User avatar
reeler
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 307
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:30 pm
Location: Land of Oz

Re: Foot question

Postby reeler » Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:52 pm

wbvs58 wrote:It sounds like an abscess but what does his sole look like? Nice and concave like a normal horse with good tough feet, very flat or convex as in dropped like a horse that has foundered?

Ken

Bingo- abscess.It must have burst, but I don't see where. Previously its been by coronary band, but must have been on the sole this time. He's getting around better tonight, & took off with the rest of the herd.To answer your question, his sole is more flat.He stays barefoot, & I try to keep hooves short.Never been the same since foundered. Thanks for your input. It's an ongoing saga with him.
0 x

User avatar
reeler
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 307
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:30 pm
Location: Land of Oz

Re: Foot question

Postby reeler » Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:59 pm

Bigfoot wrote:That could be a host of issues. Abcess, affects of the founder, thrush, frozen ground. Do you know how to pressure test a foot?

Do you mean how to use a hoof tester?
If so, I don't personally have one, but have seen farrier & vet use one. Previously I've used a hammer & gently tapped to help locate an abcess.That's what I think it was, because he's better tonight. The smell through me off, & made me think it was thrush.It must have been the smell of abcess burst.Still can't see where abscess burst, though.Thank you for your interest.
0 x

talltimber
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1192
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:29 pm
Location: Southeast Missouri

Re: Foot question

Postby talltimber » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:41 pm

Believe I would get him up, clean up the foot and check it out. Take a hoof knife and careful pare away to where you can possibly see where it blew out.(or puncture, or whatever is going on)
If you find a place pare it out a little, soak in warm epsom salt water bath until the water cools, pack it with pine tar, pack the bottom with gauze, vet wrap it up but keep from getting too high/tight and cutting off the circulation at the fetlock. Check it, and repeat in a few days, sooner if he's in bad/muddy/manure conditions or if the wrap comes off. This was our standard method of treatment and it seems like it worked most of the time.
0 x
If you cross the river before, leave a good horse on this side.

User avatar
reeler
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 307
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:30 pm
Location: Land of Oz

Re: Foot question

Postby reeler » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:22 pm

talltimber wrote:Believe I would get him up, clean up the foot and check it out. Take a hoof knife and careful pare away to where you can possibly see where it blew out.(or puncture, or whatever is going on)
If you find a place pare it out a little, soak in warm epsom salt water bath until the water cools, pack it with pine tar, pack the bottom with gauze, vet wrap it up but keep from getting too high/tight and cutting off the circulation at the fetlock. Check it, and repeat in a few days, sooner if he's in bad/muddy/manure conditions or if the wrap comes off. This was our standard method of treatment and it seems like it worked most of the time.

Thank you for sharing your procedure. I was planning on doing a more thorough evaluation tonight, but he was feeling so much better he took off! I've done the soaking/ bandaging routine before, but never used pine tar. So if I can find the rupture, I'll give that a try.
0 x

User avatar
Boot Jack Bulls
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 661
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:03 pm
Location: NW WI

Re: Foot question

Postby Boot Jack Bulls » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:22 pm

I had a nice long post wrote, and then realized you found it was an abscess. A gauze soaked in iodine and sugar makes an excellent poultice also. We keep a bucket of gauze soaked in it in the barn office at all times. Safe for goats, cattle, horses, ect.
0 x
Boot Jack Cattle LLC & Boot Jack Boers

User avatar
reeler
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 307
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:30 pm
Location: Land of Oz

Re: Foot question

Postby reeler » Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:33 pm

Boot Jack Bulls wrote:I had a nice long post wrote, and then realized you found it was an abscess. A gauze soaked in iodine and sugar makes an excellent poultice also. We keep a bucket of gauze soaked in it in the barn office at all times. Safe for goats, cattle, horses, ect.

I appreciate your response, & am always eager to learn. Didn't know about iodine & sugar! Thanks
0 x

User avatar
Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 10907
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:31 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Foot question

Postby Bigfoot » Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:11 pm

I guess everybody has their favorite drawing paste for an abcess, but I like icmathol and allum.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

User avatar
Boot Jack Bulls
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 661
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:03 pm
Location: NW WI

Re: Foot question

Postby Boot Jack Bulls » Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:21 pm

Bigfoot wrote:I guess everybody has their favorite drawing paste for an abcess, but I like icmathol and allum.


Icthamol is a good one too! It can be hard to find up here. Its also too strong on the goats, so we keep the iodine/sugar on hand as well.
0 x
Boot Jack Cattle LLC & Boot Jack Boers


Return to “Horse Care”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest