pelletized lime

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
User avatar
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 19557
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:11 am
Location: Free Rent ,VA
Has thanked: 20 times
Been thanked: 9 times

pelletized lime

Post by skyhightree1 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:03 pm

I got 2 pallets of pelletized lime from a friend of mine who owns a landscaping supply business they are ripped and busted bags ... has anyone ever used pelletized to put on a pasture or hay field? Should i even use it on a pasture or hayfield?


Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

User avatar
kenny thomas
GURU
GURU
Posts: 8697
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:16 pm
Location: SW tip of Virginia
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 128 times

Re: pelletized lime

Post by kenny thomas » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:17 pm

Its fine just a lot easier to spread. Usually too expensive for farm use but if it is free go for it.
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

User avatar
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 19557
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:11 am
Location: Free Rent ,VA
Has thanked: 20 times
Been thanked: 9 times

Re: pelletized lime

Post by skyhightree1 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:38 pm

Good I will spread it shis weekend... I normally used pulverized lime as you say and buy by the tons but I got this and figured id try it out.
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

User avatar
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 19557
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:11 am
Location: Free Rent ,VA
Has thanked: 20 times
Been thanked: 9 times

Re: pelletized lime

Post by skyhightree1 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:40 pm

I got a horse pasture im trying to correct and get it straight... Horses are he!! on pastures..
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

User avatar
kenny thomas
GURU
GURU
Posts: 8697
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:16 pm
Location: SW tip of Virginia
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 128 times

Re: pelletized lime

Post by kenny thomas » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:44 pm

Yep, only way is to put them in a barn and feed them hay. Or sell them. :lol:
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

User avatar
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 19557
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:11 am
Location: Free Rent ,VA
Has thanked: 20 times
Been thanked: 9 times

Re: pelletized lime

Post by skyhightree1 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:04 pm

I rent out 4 acres of pasture to a friend to keep his horses I wouldnt have a horse if you gave me 10 they would be sold asap.
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

Mid South Guy
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 217
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:48 pm

Re: pelletized lime

Post by Mid South Guy » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:23 pm

Pelletized lime will work quite well. You can get by using it a much lower rate than regular ag lime. About 200-300#/ac compared to 1 ton/ac. The reason for this is because the grind on the lime for pelleting is much, much finer than that of ag lime resulting in about a 10 fold increase in available surface area to react with the soil particles. This also allows pelletized lime to work much faster. About 30 days. The downside is that all neutralizing effect is gone in about 6-9 months. So it has to be applied every growing season. Whereas regular ag lime takes 6 months to begin working and will continue working for 2-4 years beacuse of the much larger particle size making it much harder to disolve into the soil. I remember a year back in the 90's when it got too wet after the harvest a lot of row crop farmers could not get on their fields until April. A lot of them mixed pelletized lime in with their pre-plant fertilizer which worked quite well for that year. They still came back and spread regular ag lime in the fall. It was too costly to use on yearly basis.

hayray
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1058
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:21 pm
Location: Southern Michigan

Re: pelletized lime

Post by hayray » Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:10 am

Mid South Guy wrote:Pelletized lime will work quite well. You can get by using it a much lower rate than regular ag lime. About 200-300#/ac compared to 1 ton/ac. The reason for this is because the grind on the lime for pelleting is much, much finer than that of ag lime resulting in about a 10 fold increase in available surface area to react with the soil particles. This also allows pelletized lime to work much faster. About 30 days. The downside is that all neutralizing effect is gone in about 6-9 months. So it has to be applied every growing season. Whereas regular ag lime takes 6 months to begin working and will continue working for 2-4 years beacuse of the much larger particle size making it much harder to disolve into the soil. I remember a year back in the 90's when it got too wet after the harvest a lot of row crop farmers could not get on their fields until April. A lot of them mixed pelletized lime in with their pre-plant fertilizer which worked quite well for that year. They still came back and spread regular ag lime in the fall. It was too costly to use on yearly basis.

Actually there is no research that supports it acts any faster then Lime meeting most state lime laws. If the calcium equivilent of quarry or pelletized lime is 90% then putting on 300 lbs. of pelletized vs. 2000 lbs. of ag lime in whatever form it is scientifically impossible to get more buffering capacity from the smaller amount of pelletized lime.

Angus Cowman
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7151
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:35 pm
Location: the Great State of Mental Distress ( Florida)

Re: pelletized lime

Post by Angus Cowman » Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:54 am

hayray wrote:
Mid South Guy wrote:Pelletized lime will work quite well. You can get by using it a much lower rate than regular ag lime. About 200-300#/ac compared to 1 ton/ac. The reason for this is because the grind on the lime for pelleting is much, much finer than that of ag lime resulting in about a 10 fold increase in available surface area to react with the soil particles. This also allows pelletized lime to work much faster. About 30 days. The downside is that all neutralizing effect is gone in about 6-9 months. So it has to be applied every growing season. Whereas regular ag lime takes 6 months to begin working and will continue working for 2-4 years beacuse of the much larger particle size making it much harder to disolve into the soil. I remember a year back in the 90's when it got too wet after the harvest a lot of row crop farmers could not get on their fields until April. A lot of them mixed pelletized lime in with their pre-plant fertilizer which worked quite well for that year. They still came back and spread regular ag lime in the fall. It was too costly to use on yearly basis.

Actually there is no research that supports it acts any faster then Lime meeting most state lime laws. If the calcium equivilent of quarry or pelletized lime is 90% then putting on 300 lbs. of pelletized vs. 2000 lbs. of ag lime in whatever form it is scientifically impossible to get more buffering capacity from the smaller amount of pelletized lime.

the pelletized lime will have a higher% of ENM than a quarried lime because of the smaller particle size

pelletized is 90% dissolvable ENM from what I have seen
and most quarried lime will run in the 4-700 range of ENM pr ton
so therefore if you use pelletized you can put out 2/3 less and get the same ENM as you get in putting out quarried But the pelletized does dissolve faster and will not last as long
If they had to actually work with a Spade and Hoe versus electing them we would all be better off (Caustic Burno 2011)

hayray
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1058
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:21 pm
Location: Southern Michigan

Re: pelletized lime

Post by hayray » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:00 am

Thanks AC for that ENM information, I was not sure what that value meant as that now seems to be a newer term. University of Missouri had info. on that. Seems that on average you could apply about 75-80% of the value of bulk ag lime because of the average ENM values of most types of limes. Studies at Michigan State showed that pelletized lime actually reacted slower with the soil because of the time it takes for the binding agent to break down and that bulk ag lime being spread more as a dust is more evenly distributed. Either way, pelletized lime is hardly cost effective in most cases.

smuff76
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 89
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:43 am
Location: Missouri

Re: pelletized lime

Post by smuff76 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:58 am

and what's the bonding agent in pelletized lime?

Angus Cowman
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7151
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:35 pm
Location: the Great State of Mental Distress ( Florida)

Re: pelletized lime

Post by Angus Cowman » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:42 pm

smuff76 wrote:and what's the bonding agent in pelletized lime?

not sure but I would guess that is ithe same type of DIRT that is used to make pelletized feed I have hauled some of it out of Kansas but can remember the correct name for it
If they had to actually work with a Spade and Hoe versus electing them we would all be better off (Caustic Burno 2011)

Limepro
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:43 pm
Location: North Alabama

Re: pelletized lime

Post by Limepro » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:02 pm

Actually there is research available at the national fertilizer foundation that clearly shows smaller aglime particles react much faster than larger ones. Basically particles in the 40-60 mesh range react in the 18 - 30 months. This size is very common in aglime produced in aggregate quarries who have crushers designed to make base for roads and larger rock sizes. Aglime passing a 100 mesh screen will react in approximately 3 months. There is a publication " Aglime Facts" that has this chart available in it. I would urge anyone buying aglime to ask their supplier for its RNV (relative neutralizing value), the higher the number the more bang for your buck and the faster it will act!

User avatar
kenny thomas
GURU
GURU
Posts: 8697
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:16 pm
Location: SW tip of Virginia
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 128 times

Re: pelletized lime

Post by kenny thomas » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:22 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:I rent out 4 acres of pasture to a friend to keep his horses I wouldnt have a horse if you gave me 10 they would be sold asap.


Hey Sky, look at this from 3 years ago. Sell ASAP huh. :lol2:
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

User avatar
Deepsouth
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3078
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:05 pm
Location: where the Mason-Dixon line is considered the far north

Re: pelletized lime

Post by Deepsouth » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:54 pm

kenny thomas wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:I rent out 4 acres of pasture to a friend to keep his horses I wouldnt have a horse if you gave me 10 they would be sold asap.


Hey Sky, look at this from 3 years ago. Sell ASAP huh. :lol2:



:lol2: :lol2: :lol2:
Time to put up or shut up big boy!
I don't plant taters and I don't plant cotton but I keep rolling along.

Post Reply