Rygrass

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
9 ER
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Rygrass

Post by 9 ER » Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:01 am

How many pounds of rygrass do yall put out per acre? Do you broadcast or disc it in?

Thanks

MikeC
Honcho
Honcho

Re: Rygrass

Post by MikeC » Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:08 am

9 ER wrote:How many pounds of rygrass do yall put out per acre? Do you broadcast or disc it in?

Thanks

I use a Tye no-till drill but have just "slung" it out with a fertilizer spreader and disked in also.

25-50 lbs. to the acre
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

TXCOWBOY
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by TXCOWBOY » Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:20 am

Put out 40 lbs of seed per acre. Do it Oct 15th. Set the gangs straight and lightly disk before seeding. Roll the field if you can after seeding. Apply 60 lbs of nitrogen per acre. You will see a stand in dec. and carry you through the end of feb. Crossfence or hotwire your winter pasture and rotate your cattle in and out.

MikeC
Honcho
Honcho

Post by MikeC » Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:29 am

TXCOWBOY wrote:Put out 40 lbs of seed per acre. Do it Oct 15th. Set the gangs straight and lightly disk before seeding. Roll the field if you can after seeding. Apply 60 lbs of nitrogen per acre. You will see a stand in dec. and carry you through the end of feb. Crossfence or hotwire your winter pasture and rotate your cattle in and out.

Tx Cowboy, If you only get 2 months of grazing from ryegrass, I'm not so sure it pays for you to seed and nitrate. You might need to put a pencil to it.

It lasts until end of May/first of June over here. I turn the cows in it on Nov. 15 or Dec 1st.

9 ER
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by 9 ER » Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:19 am

I coach baseball and I put 700 lbs out on the field each October. I dont disk or add nitrogen. I just spread it around and watch the birds get fat. I asked a friend how much an acre for pasture and he said 25-50 an acre with some nitrogen also. That just doesnt seem to be enough to me, but you guys are the experts when it comes to growing grass.
Thanks

TXCOWBOY
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by TXCOWBOY » Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:43 am

MikeC you are right. Ryegrass will last till May. Clover and spring forage come up in March to complement the ryegrass and the fertilizer will give it a good push lasting till the end of Feb. That is where my mind was going with the end of Feb comment.

MikeC
Honcho
Honcho

Post by MikeC » Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:38 pm

9 ER wrote:I coach baseball and I put 700 lbs out on the field each October. I dont disk or add nitrogen. I just spread it around and watch the birds get fat. I asked a friend how much an acre for pasture and he said 25-50 an acre with some nitrogen also. That just doesnt seem to be enough to me, but you guys are the experts when it comes to growing grass.
Thanks

You are correct for putting more ryegrass seed on a baseball field. You are wanting a carpet type playing field. But if put on a pasture in these amounts the plants will be spindly with less leaves equaling less forage.