Rygrass

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
Post Reply
User avatar
9 ER
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 359
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 10:11 am
Location: south of Houston

Rygrass

Post by 9 ER » Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:01 am

How many pounds of rygrass do yall put out per acre? Do you broadcast or disc it in?

Thanks



MikeC
Honcho
Honcho
Posts: 7636
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:32 am
Location: Alabama

Re: Rygrass

Post by MikeC » Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:08 am

9 ER wrote:How many pounds of rygrass do yall put out per acre? Do you broadcast or disc it in?

Thanks


I use a Tye no-till drill but have just "slung" it out with a fertilizer spreader and disked in also.

25-50 lbs. to the acre
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

User avatar
TXCOWBOY
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 68
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:45 am
Location: South Texas

Post by TXCOWBOY » Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:20 am

Put out 40 lbs of seed per acre. Do it Oct 15th. Set the gangs straight and lightly disk before seeding. Roll the field if you can after seeding. Apply 60 lbs of nitrogen per acre. You will see a stand in dec. and carry you through the end of feb. Crossfence or hotwire your winter pasture and rotate your cattle in and out.

MikeC
Honcho
Honcho
Posts: 7636
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:32 am
Location: Alabama

Post by MikeC » Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:29 am

TXCOWBOY wrote:Put out 40 lbs of seed per acre. Do it Oct 15th. Set the gangs straight and lightly disk before seeding. Roll the field if you can after seeding. Apply 60 lbs of nitrogen per acre. You will see a stand in dec. and carry you through the end of feb. Crossfence or hotwire your winter pasture and rotate your cattle in and out.


Tx Cowboy, If you only get 2 months of grazing from ryegrass, I'm not so sure it pays for you to seed and nitrate. You might need to put a pencil to it.

It lasts until end of May/first of June over here. I turn the cows in it on Nov. 15 or Dec 1st.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

User avatar
9 ER
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 359
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 10:11 am
Location: south of Houston

Post by 9 ER » Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:19 am

I coach baseball and I put 700 lbs out on the field each October. I dont disk or add nitrogen. I just spread it around and watch the birds get fat. I asked a friend how much an acre for pasture and he said 25-50 an acre with some nitrogen also. That just doesnt seem to be enough to me, but you guys are the experts when it comes to growing grass.
Thanks

User avatar
TXCOWBOY
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 68
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:45 am
Location: South Texas

Post by TXCOWBOY » Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:43 am

MikeC you are right. Ryegrass will last till May. Clover and spring forage come up in March to complement the ryegrass and the fertilizer will give it a good push lasting till the end of Feb. That is where my mind was going with the end of Feb comment.

MikeC
Honcho
Honcho
Posts: 7636
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:32 am
Location: Alabama

Post by MikeC » Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:38 pm

9 ER wrote:I coach baseball and I put 700 lbs out on the field each October. I dont disk or add nitrogen. I just spread it around and watch the birds get fat. I asked a friend how much an acre for pasture and he said 25-50 an acre with some nitrogen also. That just doesnt seem to be enough to me, but you guys are the experts when it comes to growing grass.
Thanks

You are correct for putting more ryegrass seed on a baseball field. You are wanting a carpet type playing field. But if put on a pasture in these amounts the plants will be spindly with less leaves equaling less forage.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

Post Reply