SODA APPLE (Noxious weed problem)

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
J-CCCC
Cowhand
Cowhand

SODA APPLE (Noxious weed problem)

Post by J-CCCC » Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:05 pm

Several states have identified infestations of this weed which, if not controlled, can really mess up pastures and woodland. It also affects the health of garden plants such as tomato, pepper, potato and eggplant plants.

Have any of the Texas contingent identified it through TAMU or county extension agents? I heard it had been found in East Texas. If yes, what county and what control methods have been used? Have others found it in Texas?

See http://ceris.Purdue.edu/napis/pests/tsa/tsa2004-fs.pdf

Jay

flaboy
GURU
GURU

Post by flaboy » Fri Aug 05, 2005 6:33 am

I had one field with them that got them from some new cows I brought in. They came with baggage so to speak. Fortunately I confined it to the one field while I let them get used to the place. I used Remedy and hand sprayed directly on the plant. About two weeks latter I started the arduous task of pulling them with a tatter rake. You gotta get the fruit up or they will just come back. Each apple has about 200 seeds in it. After that I spent a couple weeks in the evening walking around pulling any new little plants up before they could bear fruit. Very time consuming task but I have them whipped now. I think total field spraying will work with Remedy also but you need to check to see what you Ag agent says to use. Always follow up to get anything missed or you will be doing it again.
Just because you have one doesn't mean you have to act like one.

alabama
GURU
GURU

Post by alabama » Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:53 am

Grazon Will kill it but it will also get your clover.