Where have all the acres gone ?

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
Stocker Steve
Mentor
Mentor

Where have all the acres gone ?

Post by Stocker Steve » Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:16 am

Sounds like some decided not plant unprofitable corn this spring. A bit of a surprise, especially with the recent history of Trump checks.

Not sure what took corns place? It was not soy beans. In the north - - we are seeing a little more small grains and hay in the rotation. What are you seeing in your area?

Stocker Steve

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Where have all the acres gone ?

Post by TennesseeTuxedo » Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:33 am

Houses
Making Cattle Today Great Again!
Sometimes you do have to throw out the babies with the bath water.

bird dog
GURU
GURU

Post by bird dog » Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:08 am

Some are making a go with sunflowers again this year. The field is along side of I35. The farmer could make way more money if he could charge all the folks stopping to take selfie pictures. It worse than when the Bluebonnets are at their best.

Texasmark
GURU
GURU

Post by Texasmark » Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:25 am

bird dog wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:08 am
Some are making a go with sunflowers again this year. The field is along side of I35. The farmer could make way more money if he could charge all the folks stopping to take selfie pictures. It worse than when the Bluebonnets are at their best.
I was on my way to visit my sister in Lubbock one year. Once on the Caprock I was driving along and came upon this enormous field of sunflowers growing like crazy....in July-August time line????? As I passed I saw the Ford Industrial engines running irrigation pumps and little canals of water. Was a very odd sight when everything around it was dead.

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Post by Brute 23 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:57 am

When I was in high school and younger we literally hunted a couple hundred thousand acres of farm and ranch land. Most of it started as being brought in for the corn fields but it would evolve in to hunting the whole properties. Quite a few of the fields we use to hunt are just pasture land now. The die hard corn guys are actually planting milo now. I've seen more milo down here this year than I have ever seen.

Been meaning to ask a good friend that farms but we always end up talking about some other nonsense and I forget.
Well, if ranching's so hard, why do we do it?
Because its one be nice of a life, Tate. One be nice of a life.
- John Dutton

I would rather cut off my right arm, than live under tyranny!

Stocker Steve
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Where have all the acres gone ? THer

Post by Stocker Steve » Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:22 pm

Sunflowers were a brief fad here, but you seldom see them anymore. There are some in ND.

Hay acres have been dropping for decades, but the trade war may spur a limited comeback. I will be planting some alfalfa again next year.
Stocker Steve

Dave
GURU
GURU

Post by Dave » Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:37 pm

Here it is all hay or pasture. The same hay and pasture it has been for years. It has been decades since a new house was built on a new site. There are lots of old houses falling down that need a match. The only new house to get built is on the site of an old shack they tore down.

Little Joe
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by Little Joe » Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:47 pm

There are quite a few in eastern Arkansas planting peanuts now. A family that was in the cotton gin business opened a huge peanut processing plant over there. Quite a bit of milo also. Rice used to be big in eastern Arkansas but not as much as it is very labor intensive so price has to be good. Used to be when I was a kid all the row crop farmers planted winter wheat but there are very few acres in wheat anymore.