hired sprayer...100$ ac for grazon?

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
User avatar
dieselbeef
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5819
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:55 am
Location: myakka city fl
Has thanked: 15 times
Been thanked: 58 times

hired sprayer...100$ ac for grazon?

Post by dieselbeef » Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:41 am

trying to control my blackroot infestation. I'm being over run with it...on about 30 ac. it is scattered but about 10 ac is like carpet. ufs said grazon or weedmaster. hes just gonna do the 15 ac piece that's heaviest. but neghbors place is covered and he wont do anything I'm sure.

so..is 1200 bucks reasonable or crazy high. I mean I only have 15 cows so that becomes alotta money to spend and then fertilize the whole 45 ac. don't know the cost of the fert job yet..two diff guys.


Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
einstein


sooner or later im gonna be all beefmasters...probly be later

callmefence
GURU
GURU
Posts: 6782
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:36 pm
Location: Fencemans place...central Texas
Has thanked: 727 times
Been thanked: 1126 times

Re: hired sprayer...100$ ac for grazon?

Post by callmefence » Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:52 am

That's insane.
Grazon running about 12.00 to 15 a quart.
30 per acre should be plenty, being a small job you might expect to pay a little more.
But for a hundred a acre go buy your own equipment
Support your local hardworking white boy.




You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

User avatar
Brute 23
GURU
GURU
Posts: 8652
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:59 pm
Location: Gulf Coast of South Texas
Has thanked: 568 times
Been thanked: 494 times

Re: hired sprayer...100$ ac for grazon?

Post by Brute 23 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:03 am

That's robbery. Depending on your dose $20-30.

For that amount of country a 3pt sprayer from tsc will work fine. Your going to have to do it every year any way. It's not a one shot and done deal. Your probably looking at less that $15/ac doing it yourself.
Well, if ranching's so hard, why do we do it?
Because its one be nice of a life, Tate. One be nice of a life.
- John Dutton

I would rather cut off my right arm, than live under tyranny!

MO-Ruminants
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 97
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:06 am
Location: North Central Missouri
Has thanked: 44 times
Been thanked: 18 times

Re: hired sprayer...100$ ac for grazon?

Post by MO-Ruminants » Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:47 am

Sheep and goats. My smart answer for everything.

User avatar
bird dog
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1991
Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:33 pm
Location: Navarro County, Texas
Has thanked: 311 times
Been thanked: 371 times

Re: hired sprayer...100$ ac for grazon?

Post by bird dog » Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:12 am

I don't know anything about blackroot but what the other have said is correct on pricing. I have become a big fan of weedmaster or one of its copies. I am using Brash this year. I like it because it works well and reasonably priced. You could do your whole 45 acres for $300 worth of chemical and surfactant.

I would do like Brute mentioned and get me a sprayer. Maybe you could do the neighbors place also and make a few bucks.
You will probably need to spray twice a year for a couple years to get it under control.

User avatar
sstterry
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2747
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:04 am
Location: Bulls Gap, TN
Has thanked: 988 times
Been thanked: 612 times

Re: hired sprayer...100$ ac for grazon?

Post by sstterry » Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:57 pm

It is the wrong time of year, but around here, they can add Grazon to the fertilize. That way you kill two birds with one stone.

callmefence
GURU
GURU
Posts: 6782
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:36 pm
Location: Fencemans place...central Texas
Has thanked: 727 times
Been thanked: 1126 times

Re: hired sprayer...100$ ac for grazon?

Post by callmefence » Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:36 pm

sstterry wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:57 pm
It is the wrong time of year, but around here, they can add Grazon to the fertilize. That way you kill two birds with one stone.
It's also not real efficient. The 24d is basically wasted being a foliar herbicide it has very little effect.
The pyridine 6.24 percent of grazon does have soil residual. It takes 200 pounds of fertilizer per acre to carry enough herbicide to be effective. And you must get rain before it takes effect. Almost a toss up with paying to much to get the grazon applied correctly.....
Support your local hardworking white boy.




You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Texas G@l
Beginner
Beginner
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:41 am
Location: Montague County,TX
Been thanked: 10 times

Re: hired sprayer...100$ ac for grazon?

Post by Texas G@l » Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:01 pm

Check with your fertilizer guy and local tractor houses to see about a rental sprayer. I rented one for less than $200 a couple of years ago while our spray rig was down waiting on a part.

User avatar
Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 12755
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:31 pm
Location: Kentucky
Has thanked: 269 times
Been thanked: 416 times

Re: hired sprayer...100$ ac for grazon?

Post by Bigfoot » Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:23 pm

I built a sprayer for $300. It’s been over a few thousand acres at this point. Paid for itself many times over. You can grow grass or weeds, but you can’t grow both.
Your not a small business owner. Your a stay at home mom trapped in a pyramid scheme.

User avatar
Brute 23
GURU
GURU
Posts: 8652
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:59 pm
Location: Gulf Coast of South Texas
Has thanked: 568 times
Been thanked: 494 times

Re: hired sprayer...100$ ac for grazon?

Post by Brute 23 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:41 pm

callmefence wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:36 pm
sstterry wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:57 pm
It is the wrong time of year, but around here, they can add Grazon to the fertilize. That way you kill two birds with one stone.
It's also not real efficient. The 24d is basically wasted being a foliar herbicide it has very little effect.
The pyridine 6.24 percent of grazon does have soil residual. It takes 200 pounds of fertilizer per acre to carry enough herbicide to be effective. And you must get rain before it takes effect. Almost a toss up with paying to much to get the grazon applied correctly.....
Doesnt it help with wind drift to add a little fertilizer?
I don't know if there is any science behind it but I swear I get a better kill mixing the two. I always put a little p+d in with my fert in the spring and if I have a little left over I take off thru the pasture. It wacks it but it's not economical to do all the pasture like that.
Well, if ranching's so hard, why do we do it?
Because its one be nice of a life, Tate. One be nice of a life.
- John Dutton

I would rather cut off my right arm, than live under tyranny!

callmefence
GURU
GURU
Posts: 6782
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:36 pm
Location: Fencemans place...central Texas
Has thanked: 727 times
Been thanked: 1126 times

Re: hired sprayer...100$ ac for grazon?

Post by callmefence » Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:45 am

Brute 23 wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:41 pm
callmefence wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:36 pm
sstterry wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:57 pm
It is the wrong time of year, but around here, they can add Grazon to the fertilize. That way you kill two birds with one stone.
It's also not real efficient. The 24d is basically wasted being a foliar herbicide it has very little effect.
The pyridine 6.24 percent of grazon does have soil residual. It takes 200 pounds of fertilizer per acre to carry enough herbicide to be effective. And you must get rain before it takes effect. Almost a toss up with paying to much to get the grazon applied correctly.....
Doesnt it help with wind drift to add a little fertilizer?
I don't know if there is any science behind it but I swear I get a better kill mixing the two. I always put a little p+d in with my fert in the spring and if I have a little left over I take off thru the pasture. It wacks it but it's not economical to do all the pasture like that.
Yes but I believe Terry was talking about the practice of mixing grazon with granular and slinging it out. And your talking about adding liquid fertilizer to your spray tank. Two very different applications
Support your local hardworking white boy.




You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

User avatar
dieselbeef
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5819
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:55 am
Location: myakka city fl
Has thanked: 15 times
Been thanked: 58 times

Re: hired sprayer...100$ ac for grazon?

Post by dieselbeef » Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:48 am

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
einstein


sooner or later im gonna be all beefmasters...probly be later

User avatar
Rafter S
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4316
Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:13 am
Location: Grimes County, TX
Has thanked: 105 times
Been thanked: 128 times

Re: hired sprayer...100$ ac for grazon?

Post by Rafter S » Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:17 am

MO-Ruminants wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:47 am
Sheep and goats. My smart answer for everything.
No offense intended, but I think I'd rather have the brush. Plus I don't think they'd stay behind a 5-wire fence.
Life is too short to drink cheap beer or dance with ugly women.

littletom
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 999
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:01 pm
Location: southern Ky
Been thanked: 39 times

Re: hired sprayer...100$ ac for grazon?

Post by littletom » Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:21 am

8 bucks an acre plus price product. What cost here

User avatar
dieselbeef
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5819
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:55 am
Location: myakka city fl
Has thanked: 15 times
Been thanked: 58 times

Re: hired sprayer...100$ ac for grazon?

Post by dieselbeef » Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:57 am

I bought a small rig for what I need...40 gallon..grazon or weedmaster is the rec product..so how do I arrive at the corrct application rate..i can get ground speed but the gear chart on the tractor but how about the sprayer settings?
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
einstein


sooner or later im gonna be all beefmasters...probly be later

Post Reply