Cereal Rye over Rye grass

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
El_Putzo
GURU
GURU

Cereal Rye over Rye grass

Post by El_Putzo » Thu Jun 09, 2005 8:55 am

We have a failing stand of brome that we normally cut for hay that we are debating on what to do with. Have any of you all ever tried using a forage (annual) rye as a cover crop for a perennial rye (like Marshall Rye grass)? I was thinking if it worked out we could get lots of hay off of the forage rye and the perenial rye would be there for fall pasture and as hay the following years.

I have heard good things about Marshall Rye. One of my neighbors has several fields and pastures with it. He claims it makes similar tonage of hay as fescue, but without the endophyte. Also he said it's like Kentucky 31, short of a nuclear fallout, you can't kill the stuff. Anyone have experience with the stuff?

TIA

James

Gun control means using both hands!

Stocker Steve
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Stocker Steve » Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:03 pm

Folks here will fall plant (higher yielding) annual forage oats with cereal rye (which they will graze again the next spring). We can not get annual or "perennial" rye to overwinter. Life can hard in the north!

I am trying festolium (a perennial rye and meadow brome cross) with clover and improved fescue for a muli year seeding.
Stocker Steve

MrBilly
Rancher
Rancher

Post by MrBilly » Thu Jun 30, 2005 6:38 am

We plant Wrens Abruzzi rye over our costal Bermuda in the fall. It gets a quick start, tolerates winter weather here in the SE better than annual rye-grass, and does not last as long in the spring. The latter is good so that it does not compete with the oncoming Bermuda we want to grow and use as hay in the summer. We start grazing it for 3 hr per day in late November and continue into spring. The girls love it.

Our costal field was pretty high in crabgrass when we began using rye two or three years ago. This year, so far, there is a marked decrease in crab grass stand. I know there are some studies of using rye in organic vegetable plots to reduce weeds, don't know whether what I see is important, but if it continues I will be a happy man.

Billy
Registered Angus and Angus based commercial cattle; direct Angus beef sales

bigbull338
Beefmaster Breeder
Beefmaster Breeder

grass

Post by bigbull338 » Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:16 pm

id use the marshall rye grass. you will get to graze and hay it so its use is double. but i would also plant clover in with it as well. scott

polledbull
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by polledbull » Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:18 pm

we used a mix this past winter of graze master rye and ribeye rye grass. we had the most grass we ever had over the winter and was still getting alot of grazing from the ribeye rye grass on into late may.the graze master kinda died off as it got warm into april but the rye grass just kept on putting out.

Medic24
GURU
GURU

Post by Medic24 » Sun Jul 17, 2005 2:32 pm

hye bull, would you be in the higher elevations of NC, peidmont or coastal area? :cboy:
I am poor, but yet I am rich, fore I till the soil......naw....... who am I fooling? I am just plain dirt poor!

J. T.
GURU
GURU

Post by J. T. » Sun Jul 24, 2005 11:29 am

Just passing along some info....years ago the extension guys talked of mixing wheat, rye, oats, and clover. Very costly. New research says Marshall ryegrass gives about as good a performance as any of the mixtures. My philosophy in life is KISS-Keep It Simple, Stupid. ;-)
J.T.

preston39
GURU
GURU

Post by preston39 » Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:45 pm

J. T. wrote:Just passing along some info....years ago the extension guys talked of mixing wheat, rye, oats, and clover. Very costly. New research says Marshall ryegrass gives about as good a performance as any of the mixtures. My philosophy in life is KISS-Keep It Simple, Stupid. ;-)
J.T.

=======
jt,
Someone else mentioned that...do you know a study reference? I would like to see it...interesting.
G. Preston
"Without Christ you are alone....can you handle it?"
If you must doubt something...doubt your limits.

J. T.
GURU
GURU

Post by J. T. » Sat Jul 30, 2005 8:48 pm

That information came from a forage meeting I attended last winter at our county extension office. I'll try to find the literature verifying this research.
J. T.