Planting Pearl Millet

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
User avatar
JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4789
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:51 pm
Location: Middle Georgia
Has thanked: 441 times
Been thanked: 488 times

Re: Planting Pearl Millet

Post by JMJ Farms » Tue May 19, 2020 7:31 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 1:07 pm
Would there be improved N utilization if you applied it a couple weeks after seeding?
Possibly but you would likely damage a good portion of the crop. However, if N is incorporated and you don’t have several 3-4” rains to cause it to leach, I think the difference would be negligible. But that’s just my opinion. I’m not positive.


Until we remember that the left wing and the right wing belong to the same bird and we come together as a nation then this country is in for more turmoil - Jogeephus

User avatar
JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4789
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:51 pm
Location: Middle Georgia
Has thanked: 441 times
Been thanked: 488 times

Re: Planting Pearl Millet

Post by JMJ Farms » Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:01 pm

Tift leaf 3 Pearl millet sowed on Memorial Day. Be ready to graze within 2 weeks.

Image

Image
Until we remember that the left wing and the right wing belong to the same bird and we come together as a nation then this country is in for more turmoil - Jogeephus

User avatar
pricefarm
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1506
Joined: Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:05 pm
Location: Southwest Va
Has thanked: 123 times
Been thanked: 48 times

Re: Planting Pearl Millet

Post by pricefarm » Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:58 pm

JMJ Farms wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:01 pm
Tift leaf 3 Pearl millet sowed on Memorial Day. Be ready to graze within 2 weeks.

Image

Image
Looks nice. I planted mine on May 19th it’s about 6” high.

Allenw
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 434
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:37 pm
Location: NW OK
Has thanked: 150 times
Been thanked: 34 times

Re: Planting Pearl Millet

Post by Allenw » Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:59 pm

JMJ Farms wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:01 pm
Tift leaf 3 Pearl millet sowed on Memorial Day. Be ready to graze within 2 weeks.

Image

Image
How many pounds per acre did you plant? I've seen recommendations from 6 to 15 lbs per acre.

User avatar
JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4789
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:51 pm
Location: Middle Georgia
Has thanked: 441 times
Been thanked: 488 times

Re: Planting Pearl Millet

Post by JMJ Farms » Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:02 pm

Allenw wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:59 pm
JMJ Farms wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:01 pm
Tift leaf 3 Pearl millet sowed on Memorial Day. Be ready to graze within 2 weeks.

Image

Image
How many pounds per acre did you plant? I've seen recommendations from 6 to 15 lbs per acre.
25#. Broadcast on top of well prepared seedbed and 3 days of slow on and off rain following. Didn’t cover seed at all.
Circumstances just dictated a different technique. Normally I drill it in at 15# acre. We have been super busy and I didn’t have time to get it done so I tried this and it worked well. Mainly bc I was confident we were gonna have enough rain in the forecast to get it sprouted. But I believe every single hill come up. It’s as thick as the hair on a dogs back.
Until we remember that the left wing and the right wing belong to the same bird and we come together as a nation then this country is in for more turmoil - Jogeephus

Allenw
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 434
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:37 pm
Location: NW OK
Has thanked: 150 times
Been thanked: 34 times

Re: Planting Pearl Millet

Post by Allenw » Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:08 pm

JMJ Farms wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:02 pm
Allenw wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:59 pm


How many pounds per acre did you plant? I've seen recommendations from 6 to 15 lbs per acre.
25#. Broadcast on top of well prepared seedbed and 3 days of slow on and off rain following. Didn’t cover seed at all.
Circumstances just dictated a different technique. Normally I drill it in at 15# acre. We have been super busy and I didn’t have time to get it done so I tried this and it worked well. Mainly bc I was confident we were gonna have enough rain in the forecast to get it sprouted. But I believe every single hill come up. It’s as thick as the hair on a dogs back.
Rain three days in a row I haven't seen that in so long I don't remember what it's like. It does look like it came up thick.

User avatar
JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4789
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:51 pm
Location: Middle Georgia
Has thanked: 441 times
Been thanked: 488 times

Re: Planting Pearl Millet

Post by JMJ Farms » Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:06 pm

Allenw wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:08 pm
JMJ Farms wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:02 pm
Allenw wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:59 pm


How many pounds per acre did you plant? I've seen recommendations from 6 to 15 lbs per acre.
25#. Broadcast on top of well prepared seedbed and 3 days of slow on and off rain following. Didn’t cover seed at all.
Circumstances just dictated a different technique. Normally I drill it in at 15# acre. We have been super busy and I didn’t have time to get it done so I tried this and it worked well. Mainly bc I was confident we were gonna have enough rain in the forecast to get it sprouted. But I believe every single hill come up. It’s as thick as the hair on a dogs back.
Rain three days in a row I haven't seen that in so long I don't remember what it's like. It does look like it came up thick.
Yeah it’s an anomaly here as well during most seasons. Stars just line up once in a while.
Until we remember that the left wing and the right wing belong to the same bird and we come together as a nation then this country is in for more turmoil - Jogeephus

User avatar
pricefarm
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1506
Joined: Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:05 pm
Location: Southwest Va
Has thanked: 123 times
Been thanked: 48 times

Re: Planting Pearl Millet

Post by pricefarm » Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:24 am

Looking pretty good about 24” tall. Think it’s time to graze?


Image

User avatar
JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4789
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:51 pm
Location: Middle Georgia
Has thanked: 441 times
Been thanked: 488 times

Re: Planting Pearl Millet

Post by JMJ Farms » Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:46 am

pricefarm wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:24 am
Looking pretty good about 24” tall. Think it’s time to graze?


Image
Yep. It’s time. Graze down to around 8” and pull them off. Mine is burning up. We need some rain bad. 90+ degrees and no rain for weeks won’t work!
Until we remember that the left wing and the right wing belong to the same bird and we come together as a nation then this country is in for more turmoil - Jogeephus

User avatar
pricefarm
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1506
Joined: Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:05 pm
Location: Southwest Va
Has thanked: 123 times
Been thanked: 48 times

Re: Planting Pearl Millet

Post by pricefarm » Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:14 am

JMJ Farms wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:46 am
pricefarm wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:24 am
Looking pretty good about 24” tall. Think it’s time to graze?


Image
Yep. It’s time. Graze down to around 8” and pull them off. Mine is burning up. We need some rain bad. 90+ degrees and no rain for weeks won’t work!
We had a couple weeks with very little rain but we have been getting some the past few weeks. So graze it down then hit it with some more N ?

User avatar
JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4789
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:51 pm
Location: Middle Georgia
Has thanked: 441 times
Been thanked: 488 times

Re: Planting Pearl Millet

Post by JMJ Farms » Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:20 pm

pricefarm wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:14 am
JMJ Farms wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:46 am
pricefarm wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:24 am
Looking pretty good about 24” tall. Think it’s time to graze?


Image
Yep. It’s time. Graze down to around 8” and pull them off. Mine is burning up. We need some rain bad. 90+ degrees and no rain for weeks won’t work!
We had a couple weeks with very little rain but we have been getting some the past few weeks. So graze it down then hit it with some more N ?
If the pocketbook will allow. It will make it jump again if you get the rain. But it also depends on how much you put at planting. It may not need much if any. 30 to 50 units should be plenty
. I have grazed it shorter than 8”. I think no less than 6” is the recommendation but I’ll have to dig it up. My mind ain’t what it used to be.
Until we remember that the left wing and the right wing belong to the same bird and we come together as a nation then this country is in for more turmoil - Jogeephus

User avatar
pricefarm
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1506
Joined: Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:05 pm
Location: Southwest Va
Has thanked: 123 times
Been thanked: 48 times

Re: Planting Pearl Millet

Post by pricefarm » Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:22 pm

I put 60 units of N when I planted it

User avatar
JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4789
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:51 pm
Location: Middle Georgia
Has thanked: 441 times
Been thanked: 488 times

Re: Planting Pearl Millet

Post by JMJ Farms » Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:48 am

pricefarm wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:22 pm
I put 60 units of N when I planted it
It probably won’t need anymore. I can see where 25-30 units would give it a boost after grazing it down but the millet will probably reach maturity before it utilizes the extra N. Maybe someone smarter than me will elaborate further.
Until we remember that the left wing and the right wing belong to the same bird and we come together as a nation then this country is in for more turmoil - Jogeephus

User avatar
JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4789
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:51 pm
Location: Middle Georgia
Has thanked: 441 times
Been thanked: 488 times

Re: Planting Pearl Millet

Post by JMJ Farms » Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:49 am

pricefarm wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:24 am
Looking pretty good about 24” tall. Think it’s time to graze?


Image
From UGA recommendations
Growers can begin to graze pearl millet once the plants reach 20 to 24 inches, but regrowth rate and animal performance is best if a 9 to 12 inch stubble height is maintained. Pearl millet tillers well, making it very suitable for grazing.
Until we remember that the left wing and the right wing belong to the same bird and we come together as a nation then this country is in for more turmoil - Jogeephus

User avatar
pricefarm
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1506
Joined: Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:05 pm
Location: Southwest Va
Has thanked: 123 times
Been thanked: 48 times

Re: Planting Pearl Millet

Post by pricefarm » Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:33 pm

I turned some weaned calves out on it today they went to town on it like they hadn’t ate in weeks.

Post Reply