planting Johnson grass early

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
SDM
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: planting Johnson grass early

Post by SDM » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:09 am

The neighbor cuts it as I don't have the equipment. Sometimes it's "past optimal maturity" to make good hay. But the seed heads get handled enough to drop quite a few seeds. That along with spring fertilization seems to be working. There's not enough cool spring weather here for the cool seasons to use it all. Here, I think fall is the time to fertilize the cool season grasses.

Texasmark
GURU
GURU

Post by Texasmark » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:48 am

chaded wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:46 am
SDM wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:43 am
This field is a volunteer stand. The right management can encourage it. This would be the fourth cutting on this field last year. Like mentioned the first one is mostly fescue and a little OG.
What are you doing to manage it?
Since you didn't get an answer as yet, Looks like a good supply of N for one thing. Best I can remember plants of such origin, use a 3-1-2 ratio of the primary elements, as I read, like a 15-5-10 mix which is popular at the feed/fert. store here. The other thing I find about balancing out the mix is that I use a conical 500# 3 pt. applicator and it doesn't jam up on me like happens when high percentages, or pure N are in the hopper. My only concern in going overboard is that Prussic Acid is said to decay as the plant decays in the haying process. Nitrates absorbed during excessive fertilization with limited moisture to provide plant growth, don't......as I read. Now, how the economy of scale balances out with investment vs returns, you'd have to put a pencil to it for your particular operation.

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Post by Brute 23 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:09 am

I dont think JG would be my first choice in a grazing situation. It's very easy to kill out by grazing. It's great for hay.
Well, if ranching's so hard, why do we do it?
Because its one be nice of a life, Tate. One be nice of a life.
- John Dutton

I would rather cut off my right arm, than live under tyranny!

Texasmark
GURU
GURU

Post by Texasmark » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:44 pm

Brute 23 wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:09 am
I dont think JG would be my first choice in a grazing situation. It's very easy to kill out by grazing. It's great for hay.
Deepends on stubble length. If it's grazed or cut below 4" or so expect negative results.....ref. published Ag. school data. Key to grazing is watching the weather and rotation.

When I got here in 1978, the only hay that I could get was JG and that is what my daughter's horse ate for hay. Never had a problem. Since then, JG is a preferred feed and I have yet to know of personally, nor hear of anybody losing an animal due to one of it's 2 main cautions; Nitrous Oxide or Prussic Acid.

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Post by Brute 23 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:16 pm

Texasmark wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:44 pm
Brute 23 wrote:
Deepends on stubble length. If it's grazed or cut below 4" or so expect negative results.....ref. published Ag. school data. Key to grazing is watching the weather and rotation.

When I got here in 1978, the only hay that I could get was JG and that is what my daughter's horse ate for hay. Never had a problem. Since then, JG is a preferred feed and I have yet to know of personally, nor hear of anybody losing an animal due to one of it's 2 main cautions; Nitrous Oxide or Prussic Acid.
We have a JG hay field still and have it scattered in the pasture. Like I said... great hay... pia trying to manage for grazing. The juice isn't worth squeeze IMO.
Well, if ranching's so hard, why do we do it?
Because its one be nice of a life, Tate. One be nice of a life.
- John Dutton

I would rather cut off my right arm, than live under tyranny!

Texasmark
GURU
GURU

Post by Texasmark » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:54 am

Brute 23 wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:16 pm
Texasmark wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:44 pm
Brute 23 wrote:

We have a JG hay field still and have it scattered in the pasture. Like I said... great hay... pia trying to manage for grazing. The juice isn't worth squeeze IMO.
I wouldn't graze it. They would do to it the same thing they would do to a stand of Corn, Milo, Sorghum, Sudan or Haygrazer....eat the leaves and seed heads off and leave the stems...sticking 2,3 4 feet in the air.

SDM
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by SDM » Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:03 pm

I cut the field in the picture I posted above the first time in mid May. That was mostly orchard/fescue with some red clover and way more plantain than I'd like. The first pic below is early June. We had a cool spring with a late frost and think it held the JG back. The second picture is last Monday when I cut it. Not many seed heads at all but I was a little late. It's a little stemmy. This one worked out to about 1.5T/acre. That's about 50% more than the cool season cutting. I should get two more before frost if we get rain...we need rain yesterday.

bird dog
GURU
GURU

Post by bird dog » Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:06 pm

that will make some good hay.. I planted some in April and some in May. The may stuff is better, taller and thicker.

Where you at?

kentuckyguy
Rancher
Rancher

Post by kentuckyguy » Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:16 pm

Just wanted to up date this. We started laying down about 12 acres of this today

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Post by kenny thomas » Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:36 pm

kentuckyguy wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:16 pm
Just wanted to up date this. We started laying down about 12 acres of this today

Great looking hay.
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

anewcomer
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by anewcomer » Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:57 pm

Bird dog, would you be willing to PM your seed source?

bird dog
GURU
GURU

Post by bird dog » Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:06 pm

Will do. One of them is Turner seed. Breckenridge TX

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Bigfoot » Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:47 pm

I’m slowly losing my yard to JG. Been progressing towards that for the 25 years I’ve lived here. Never tried to kill it, I just assumed it was a battle I couldn’t win. I scalp my yard when I mow, and mow weekly. How well it does in my yard (and has never been allowed to go to seed) has always made me think it would be great for grazing. I see too many comments here to the contrary for my assumption to be correct.
Your not a small business owner. Your a stay at home mom trapped in a pyramid scheme.

kilroy60
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by kilroy60 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:30 am

LOL - most in my area try to kill it. I personally would plant something else other than JG if I were going to the expense and trouble.

Texasmark
GURU
GURU

Post by Texasmark » Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:09 am

Brute 23 wrote:
My questioning that comment would be the timing of bovine removal. If they gnaw it down to the dirt, yes. If 4" of stubble is left, and grazing is the only variable, I'd say I doubt it.