Cattle are strange

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
Dave
GURU
GURU

Cattle are strange

Post by Dave » Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:34 pm

I am feeding my heifers about 2 pounds of corn, all the good grass hay they will clean up, and 3 or 4 pounds of alfalfa. So this morning I had fed and all the heifers were lined up with heads in the feed bunk. Neighbor's hired man had fed the fall pairs so they were out west in the field and busy eating. I figured it was a good time to get into the hay yard without being disturbed. In the back corner of the hay yard there is 12-15 3x3x6 mid size square bales. I inherited them from the previous owner. They have to be at least 4 years old. Maybe older. So I very carefully get one to put into the shed for bedding. I manage to get it to the shed before it falls apart. I start spreading it around. 8 heifers quit their good grass and alfalfa to come eat on this old mostly rotten hay. Well I guess they will do a better job of spreading it around than I did.

bird dog
GURU
GURU

Re: Cattle are strange

Post by bird dog » Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:42 pm

Yeah for some reason it is appealing to them. I know some of it caramelizes and makes it sweet smelling. I guy gave me some old round bales to use in some erosion spots. It was so old you couldn't carry it with a tractor, just lift it up and ease a trailer under it. I backed the trailer up to a ravine and pushed them into it. A couple days later I saw the cows in it. I thought they were just scratching but they had ate about half of it. Yes they were scratching, It seems like they wanted that smell all over them.

greggy
Rancher
Rancher

Post by greggy » Wed Dec 25, 2019 4:45 am

They will eat anything that fits in the mouth it seems too me.

I was given some old straw, was gonna use it for bedding, but they eat it, sheep wont.

MurraysMutts
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by MurraysMutts » Wed Dec 25, 2019 7:32 pm

People are strange!
Have u seen some of the things they eat???
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Crossbred for high bread vinegar....

Texasmark
GURU
GURU

Post by Texasmark » Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:21 pm

My take on cattle is be careful what you expect of them as guaranteed response will be opposite to your expectations. So I got in the habit of expecting the exact opposite of what I was expecting and things worked out better.

The one I love (sarcasm) is where you are moving the herd through a gate, straight line thing, everybody is behaving, except for a few calves (always an instance) decide that they know more about how things are done and they are going to show every body else how smart they are.

So I would put the gates in the corners of the pasture, or make a wedge preceding the gate. Didn't matter, they'd turn around and come back out or veer of to the side before entering and run up and down the fence bawling for mommie......pffffffffff!

On punching through perimeter fencing....calf takes a nap while mommie is grazing....bar none, calf gets up from the nap but just happens to be on the neighbor's side of the fence. After some years of frustration, I decided sucker, you got over there, you can get back. Course mommie helps out when her udder swells and starts hurting and she starts bawling for her little brat.

snoopdog
GURU
GURU

Post by snoopdog » Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:46 pm

Texasmark wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:21 pm
My take on cattle is be careful what you expect of them as guaranteed response will be opposite to your expectations. So I got in the habit of expecting the exact opposite of what I was expecting and things worked out better.

The one I love (sarcasm) is where you are moving the herd through a gate, straight line thing, everybody is behaving, except for a few calves (always an instance) decide that they know more about how things are done and they are going to show every body else how smart they are.

So I would put the gates in the corners of the pasture, or make a wedge preceding the gate. Didn't matter, they'd turn around and come back out or veer of to the side before entering and run up and down the fence bawling for mommie......pffffffffff!

On punching through perimeter fencing....calf takes a nap while mommie is grazing....bar none, calf gets up from the nap but just happens to be on the neighbor's side of the fence. After some years of frustration, I decided sucker, you got over there, you can get back. Course mommie helps out when her udder swells and starts hurting and she starts bawling for her little brat.
Aint that the truth
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Nesikep » Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:35 pm

Yup.. we have some old wheat straw, kept in a shed, but it's gotta be nearly a decade old now.. There is great excitement when I go spread that around for bedding, jumping, rubbing, romping, and of course eating.. Usually after I've done it a few times they jump in it and promptly lay down to test it out

Texasmark, I found that with really young calves (every try to get them to go through an open electric fence gate they haven't been through before?) I used to have a bunch of very contrary cows that would always have to duck to the side of the gates, and it was always a PITA with them.. I've shipped all the offenders now and lo and behold, the rest of the herd does exactly what I want of them, no more messing around

Look at this, they know exactly where they're going
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

Dave
GURU
GURU

Post by Dave » Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:49 pm

Years ago over on the coast I had a dairy farmer as a neighbor. He had a big pile of haylage bales that opossums got into a chewed holes in the plastic. I didn't want to mix it into his TMR. Sold it to me for next to nothing. He said I didn't have to pay him for any the cows wouldn't eat. There was no such bale. They gobbled it all right up. But that is when I decided that you just don't look at or smell baleage. There were bales I was certain they wouldn't eat. Ones that turned my stomach to pull the plastic off. Come morning the bale would be gone and they would be begging for more. They did great on that throw away feed.

greggy
Rancher
Rancher

Post by greggy » Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:22 am

Nesikep wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:35 pm
Yup.. we have some old wheat straw, kept in a shed, but it's gotta be nearly a decade old now.. There is great excitement when I go spread that around for bedding, jumping, rubbing, romping, and of course eating.. Usually after I've done it a few times they jump in it and promptly lay down to test it out

Texasmark, I found that with really young calves (every try to get them to go through an open electric fence gate they haven't been through before?) I used to have a bunch of very contrary cows that would always have to duck to the side of the gates, and it was always a PITA with them.. I've shipped all the offenders now and lo and behold, the rest of the herd does exactly what I want of them, no more messing around

Whats the straggler...a speckle park hereford...the third or so from end.

Last bull calf was busy with the girls....says thanks for that.....

greggy
Rancher
Rancher

Post by greggy » Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:37 am

MurraysMutts wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 7:32 pm
People are strange!
Have u seen some of the things they eat???
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Not to mention what reality tv contestants will eat for a few bucks......lol

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Nesikep » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:39 am

greggy wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:22 am
Whats the straggler...a speckle park hereford...the third or so from end.

Last bull calf was busy with the girls....says thanks for that.....
He's a mostly Shorthorn/Gelbvieh steer
Last bull calf was probably fast asleep somewhere and had to catch up!
-Christopher Hitchens

Texasmark
GURU
GURU

Post by Texasmark » Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:36 am

Nesikep wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:35 pm

Close neighbor has a Jersey herd. That "Orchestra" doesn't need a director.....self directed. Fun watching them go through their routine and pecking order with total obedience.

Good looking bovines you have there.

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Nesikep » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:57 pm

Thanks,
They are real creatures of habit.. at the far end of the property there was a gate that made aboslutely no "cow sense", as the cattle would have to double back, meaning any of them that didn't go through with the group would be stuck looking at the herd and not figure out where the gate was
I decided to fix that and made a new gate where it does make "cow sense" to have it, still had the old gate open at the time, Nearly all of them went through the old gate!
-Christopher Hitchens