Bin run corn for grazing

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
Ky cowboy
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: Bin run corn for grazing

Post by Ky cowboy » Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:28 pm

What about adding a clover after corn sprouts. Something to fill in rows and continue grazing after corn is picked down and will mix good when crabb grass takes off in July. I'm thinking about sowing 2 acre feedlot in med. Red clover as a cover crop this spring just to square bale and flush sheep on

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Post by callmefence » Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:39 am

Do what your thinking with the corn.
But use Milo instead.
Support your local hardworking white boy.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Ebenezer
GURU
GURU

Post by Ebenezer » Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:11 am

Add cow peas or forage soybeans and some sudan or forage sorghum with the corn. If you want a species to compete with weeds be nice some brassicas. The corn can be a one time graze but with good management the peas and sudan can be regrazed. And with the seed blends sunhemp has become popular. I've seen several folks do the above mixes or variations and the guy in GA was getting 3+ lbs/day (maybe 4+) on the mix. But there is the N need and if you put a lot of N or over apply litter there is N accumulation. Oddly it was highest in the cowpeas which surprised me.

Lucky_P
GURU
GURU

Post by Lucky_P » Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:28 am

Yep, BF, that was him. Haven't heard from him in years... that MIG listserve, and the one that followed it, have died off.

Looking at the almost solid stand of 'volunteer' corn that comes up in some fields here after they combine it, I wonder what % of what they grew gets left on the ground. Of course, it's dead as a hammer after the first freeze, but some years, it gets to grow nearly 2 months before it gets nuked by Ma Nature. Don't know what % of high-moisture, dried corn would germinate, but the stuff left behind sure comes up readily!
I read all these articles about folks out in the Midwest overwintering cows on cornstalks, and think about how much 'forage' goes to waste on the thousands of acres of corn grown right here in this county, with no fences around 'em, and no cows picking through it.

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Bigfoot » Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:33 am

callmefence wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:39 am
Do what your thinking with the corn.
But use Milo instead.
You know, I hadn’t thought of that. We raised milo when I was a kid, and cattle would eat the stalks to the ground after we had combined it. I had bin run corn in mind, because of the cost to plant. I’ll have to ponder on that. Good suggestion though.
Your not a small business owner. Your a stay at home mom trapped in a pyramid scheme.

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Bigfoot » Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:47 am

Lucky_P wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:28 am
Yep, BF, that was him. Haven't heard from him in years... that MIG listserve, and the one that followed it, have died off.

Looking at the almost solid stand of 'volunteer' corn that comes up in some fields here after they combine it, I wonder what % of what they grew gets left on the ground. Of course, it's dead as a hammer after the first freeze, but some years, it gets to grow nearly 2 months before it gets nuked by Ma Nature. Don't know what % of high-moisture, dried corn would germinate, but the stuff left behind sure comes up readily!
I read all these articles about folks out in the Midwest overwintering cows on cornstalks, and think about how much 'forage' goes to waste on the thousands of acres of corn grown right here in this county, with no fences around 'em, and no cows picking through it.
I’ve refused to feed the machine for fertilizer on my pasture, for 20 years. I do fertilize my hay ground. I have subsequently lost my pasture to broomsedge. 2 or 3 years ago, it was spotty and I didn’t worry about it. I’ve lost half the place to it now. Had great luck last year (if it stays gone for a while). I just wanted something cheap to plant, that I could justify throwing some fertilizer at. Crabgrass seems to come on strong everywhere I spray, and disturb the soil, and fertilize. I have decent luck spreading bin run wheat on crabgrass in the fall, and just letting it rain on it till it germinates. I was hoping for $10 worth of corn, and $10 worth of wheat, and the volunteer crabgrass, I could make some good forage. My son is just 15, but I dropped him off at the Roeder sale today to bid on drills. I’m moving forward with a plan anyway.
Your not a small business owner. Your a stay at home mom trapped in a pyramid scheme.