Oat Hay

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
HDRider
GURU
GURU

Re: Oat Hay

Post by HDRider » Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:38 am

I am going to look at triticale.

I am still afraid of it interfering with my Bermuda hay. That Bermuda hay is my lifeline.

bball wrote: "The juice wasn't worth the squeeze."
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

VaCowman
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by VaCowman » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:11 am

Richnm wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:04 am
T & B farms wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:00 am
Here we try to drill them mid feb here.Usually first part of May is when they need to Come off. Can be a very difficult time to get them put up. We have to wrap them every year. Oats loose there feed value very quickly when they start to head. In 5 years, we got them put up right once.

I planted 100 acres of triticale this fall. I’ve been told it holds its quality a little better. We will see.
We switched to triticale completely. Less waste, more tons, it’s also catching popularity. Just cut it at the right stage , if weather permits. Pre boot stage. Feed value and protein are hard to match. 3-4 tons per acre , per cut.
How many cuts are you getting with Fall planted triticale? We've grazed it in the fall, and then 2X in spring before terminating it for summer annuals.

T & B farms
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by T & B farms » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:06 pm

VaCowman wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:11 am
Richnm wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:04 am
T & B farms wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:00 am
Here we try to drill them mid feb here.Usually first part of May is when they need to Come off. Can be a very difficult time to get them put up. We have to wrap them every year. Oats loose there feed value very quickly when they start to head. In 5 years, we got them put up right once.

I planted 100 acres of triticale this fall. I’ve been told it holds its quality a little better. We will see.
We switched to triticale completely. Less waste, more tons, it’s also catching popularity. Just cut it at the right stage , if weather permits. Pre boot stage. Feed value and protein are hard to match. 3-4 tons per acre , per cut.
How many cuts are you getting with Fall planted triticale? We've grazed it in the fall, and then 2X in spring before terminating it for summer annuals.

I’m only planning on 1 cutting. I assumed they would just be done after getting cut like the oats usually are. I’d love for them to grow back 3-4” that would be awesome weed suppression for the no-till beans following them.