Hay Profits

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
Soggy Bottom
Cowhand
Cowhand

Hay Profits

Post by Soggy Bottom » Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:41 pm

I have been running some rough numbers on the possible profits of a small hay business. I know this is a very loaded question and hard to answer but is there any rough numbers hay growers shoot for to profit of an acre per year? The numbers I have come up with for a good coastal field is around $100 for round bales and $300 for square bales of profit for acre. These are the numbers I am using.

5000lb per of hay per acre
$60 fertilizer per acre
$8 an acre weed spray
$60 round bales
$6 square bales
$25 round baler charge
$1 square baler charge
$1 square bale stack

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Re: Hay Profits

Post by 1982vett » Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:42 pm

Ya need to quantify what a round bale is....quite the range between a 4x5, 4x6, 5x5.5, 6x6....guess squares too as I stopped baling 70 lb squares 12 years ago.....about the time it went to $1.10 to get it hauled.
Aug 7, 2019 22:51GMT -5 the illustrious potentate said:
Because you have the freedom to say what you think, doesn't always mean that you should.

The right to speak freely is not free of consequences.

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Post by Stocker Steve » Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:45 pm

Need to back calculate from your goal, or else just compare to other crop options.
I set a per acre profit goal based on paying the family living expense.
or
Your extension or Finpak people will have some (often incomplete) but local numbers.
Stocker Steve

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Post by Caustic Burno » Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:04 pm

Soggy Bottom wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:41 pm
I have been running some rough numbers on the possible profits of a small hay business. I know this is a very loaded question and hard to answer but is there any rough numbers hay growers shoot for to profit of an acre per year? The numbers I have come up with for a good coastal field is around $100 for round bales and $300 for square bales of profit for acre. These are the numbers I am using.

5000lb per of hay per acre
$60 fertilizer per acre
$8 an acre weed spray
$60 round bales
$6 square bales
$25 round baler charge
$1 square baler charge
$1 square bale stack
IMO harvest tonnage is higher than I would figure. You go from drought to it won’t stop raining. Doesn’t matter how much grass is in the field if you can’t optimize your harvest. Lot of difference in one year you get four cuttings and the next, one cause of drought.
I had 36 dollars a bale in 4x5’s over ten years ago when I quit and sold my equipment.
:2cents:
Money doesn’t buy happiness, but the lack does buy misery.

Soggy Bottom
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by Soggy Bottom » Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:30 am

Thanks for the info. I know it was a very open ended question with many variables. I guess am looking at it as "is it worth the investment". I am trying to figure if I can pay my taxes on my place from the hay profits made.

HDRider
GURU
GURU

Post by HDRider » Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:04 am

This guy looks like he makes money from hay here in my area. It is not government land.

http://hillhayfarms.com/
bball wrote: "The juice wasn't worth the squeeze."
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Post by Caustic Burno » Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:22 am

There is money in hay for sure it has tremendous inputs as well.
My hay man bales roughly 7k 4x5’s a year and sells for 50 a roll. Sounds great that’s 350k in hay sales now comes the inputs 2 100HP John Deere tractors 2 10’ Krone cutters 2 Vermeer commercial balers along with hydraulics V takes and tedder.
Haven’t even got to maintenance, fuel, trucks and trailers to move all this stuff.

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Post by Stocker Steve » Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:06 pm

HDRider wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:04 am
This guy looks like he makes money from hay here in my area. It is not government land.

http://hillhayfarms.com/
Has a JI Case tractor so you know he is a top producer. :nod:
Stocker Steve

DCA farm
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by DCA farm » Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:49 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:22 am
My hay man bales roughly 7k 4x5’s a year and sells for 50 a roll. Sounds great that’s 350k in hay sales now comes the inputs 2 100HP John Deere tractors 2 10’ Krone cutters 2 Vermeer commercial balers along with hydraulics V takes and tedder.
Haven’t even got to maintenance, fuel, trucks and trailers to move all this stuff.
all that big fancy equipment is nice but it can be done with out all them notes my hay man runs older equipment he just does good maintaince and doesn’t treat it like it’s price of rent equipment sells his hay for $30 a roll and he must be doing ok he keeps doing it every year

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Post by Caustic Burno » Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:59 am

DCA farm wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:49 pm
Caustic Burno wrote:
all that big fancy equipment is nice but it can be done with out all them notes my hay man runs older equipment he just does good maintaince and doesn’t treat it like it’s price of rent equipment sells his hay for $30 a roll and he must be doing ok he keeps doing it every year
You can’t produce hay for 30 bucks a roll on today’s inputs with paid off equipment. You might if your not taking a penny out for yourself. As I stated earlier I had over that in a roll ten years ago with 180 dollar a ton fertilizer, that same ton today is 450.
And that fancy equipment you spoke of is all paid off.
Lot of difference in making some hay and being in the hay business.
When you have semi’s coming in every week for orders product has to be available or your customers will go elsewhere.

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Bigfoot » Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:02 am

I had the best hay year of my life. I should get through winter on what I was able to put up (normally end up buying some). Averaged 9.5 4’x5’ rolls on my grass hay and 6 on my sorghum/sudan. All said and done, I have about $35 a roll in it. I would gladly buy hay, but it’s just not available in the quantity I need, nor is the quality of what’s available comparable to what I can put up. If my yield had been less, the price per roll would go up. I personally see no way to make money on selling rolls, not here anyway. A quality square bale goes for $6, but it’s seldom available. A man could make some money on square bales here.
Your not a small business owner. Your a stay at home mom trapped in a pyramid scheme.

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Post by kenny thomas » Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:08 am

Off topic a little bit but I had a guy call last night wanting 1000 rolls or big square bales to go to Wisconsin. If anyone has any extra and can load a tractor trailer PM me and I will give you his name and number.
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Post by Caustic Burno » Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:16 am

Bigfoot wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:02 am
I had the best hay year of my life. I should get through winter on what I was able to put up (normally end up buying some). Averaged 9.5 4’x5’ rolls on my grass hay and 6 on my sorghum/sudan. All said and done, I have about $35 a roll in it. I would gladly buy hay, but it’s just not available in the quantity I need, nor is the quality of what’s available comparable to what I can put up. If my yield had been less, the price per roll would go up. I personally see no way to make money on selling rolls, not here anyway. A quality square bale goes for $6, but it’s seldom available. A man could make some money on square bales here.
Sounds like good numbers to me.
I have come to the conclusion the majority of people making hay or selling cattle have no clue their inputs.
Most are subsidizing the packers.

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Post by callmefence » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:09 am

Caustic Burno wrote:
In a previous discussion you talked of 12 percent hay at 100.00 a ton. Are you sure them 4x5 s weigh 1000 pounds.??
Support your local hardworking white boy.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

DCA farm
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by DCA farm » Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:46 pm

kenny thomas wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:08 am
Off topic a little bit but I had a guy call last night wanting 1000 rolls or big square bales to go to Wisconsin. If anyone has any extra and can load a tractor trailer PM me and I will give you his name and number.
It’s in Louisiana but gut says he has 7500 4x5 net wrapped barn kept 45 a roll