The way I unroll hay

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Re: The way I unroll hay

Post by kenny thomas » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:07 pm

SmokinM wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:24 pm
So I am new to the unrolling game and it is taking some getting used to. Seems like the cows “ highgrade” thru it then go stand at the gate expecting a new roll. Hay is pretty decent, put it in a ring they clean it up good. Not sure about the less waste part. Maybe they have to learn just like I do. The waste is spread out and I like that, plus I hate the mud circles rings leave. I can see how it would build your land up. I am feeding about 15 lbs. per head a day and there isn’t much picking left so I don’t think to much is the problem. Any tips to keep them from walking right up the middle of it? Any other tips? Up and down or across the hill? Thanks
A little more work but each day unroll the hay and then using step in posts place them down the middle of the hay with poliwire keeping them far enough away from it to not walk on it or lay on it. No crap on it either.
Much easier if you are still rotating them. Unroll and place fence before they are turned in to the area.

My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

bird dog
GURU
GURU

Post by bird dog » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:40 pm

They are not quite hungry enough Smokin.

pricefarm
GURU
GURU

Post by pricefarm » Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:12 am

I guess by unrolling hay you may save some money on hay but what about all the extra time it takes to feed hay every day and maybe even twice a day. I have enough hay rings where I only feed hay 1 maybe 2 times a week. The cows do make a mess of the feeding lot which I scrap up and let all the manure compost for a year then I spread it on the pasture or hay fields.

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Bigfoot » Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:21 am

pricefarm wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:12 am
I guess by unrolling hay you may save some money on hay but what about all the extra time it takes to feed hay every day and maybe even twice a day. I have enough hay rings where I only feed hay 1 maybe 2 times a week. The cows do make a mess of the feeding lot which I scrap up and let all the manure compost for a year then I spread it on the pasture or hay fields.
Time is free and money is the short crop here. I do it out if necessity.
Your not a small business owner. Your a stay at home mom trapped in a pyramid scheme.

chevytaHOE5674
Rancher
Rancher

Post by chevytaHOE5674 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:53 am

pricefarm wrote:
But how much time and money do you spend scraping up manure, loading, hauling, spreading, etc?

I spend more time feeding in the winter when time is more available and much less valuable. Come spring and summer when things are busy with calving, hay, etc, I don't spend any time or money dealing with mud and manure.

Also where you scrap up manure you most likely cant graze that ground, i have manure already spread and lose no grazing to a "sacrifice" area.

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Post by kenny thomas » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:35 am

Bigfoot wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:21 am
pricefarm wrote:
Time is free and money is the short crop here. I do it out if necessity.
When I was younger I told my boss that something took too much time. He told me , "What's time to a hog". Meaning the pay was the same in the end no matter what time it took.

pricefarm
GURU
GURU

Post by pricefarm » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:30 am

I agree with the last few post about time. I guess Iam saying that I don’t have the time to feed cows everyday. I have cows at three different farms. I would love to have enough land so they all would be at the same place but I don’t.
Also I really think that with the way our weather is and the amount of cows per acre I run that if I unrolled hay every day I would eventually tare up all my pasture. Iam still not feeding hay yet this year even with the drought we had earlier and I run a cow per acre with rotational grazing.
Iam not saying what y’all are doing is wrong because I would love to be able to do it but it just want work for me (I don’t think )

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Post by kenny thomas » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:00 am

A question and a thought? Do you check cows every day in the winter or could you easily? Since you already rotational graze how about unrolling in more than one pasture and only opening a gate to the next paddock as needed. Even 3-4 days it doesn't damage before the cows are turnedi n.
Many times in the winter after I finish the stockpile grazing I will sit out hay when it's frozen and I can unroll it off the hill as needed and turn the cows in. Granted i only do this for 3-4 days worth but it is easy for me. I just drive out on the side by side and give the roll a shove. If you don't have hills forget this.

chaded
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by chaded » Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:54 pm

sstterry wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:39 am
Does anyone one know what the transport costs on either of those rigs I posted is? It is just too far for me to go to MO to get one, however, I think the South Carolina dealer is within a reasonable distance.

What is a good 3-pt hitch unroller that is reasonable in price and works well?
Just wanted to update you on this. As I mentioned previously, I talked to Greg Judy and the only way he would ship is if I used Uship and set it up myself. I just talked to Baron (owner of hay-b-gone unroller) today and he said he will bring one up within the next few weeks, definitely by the end of the year.

He is delivering some other ones on the way and said he likes to get a few of them ordered before he delivers them so maybe if your interested you can give him a call and get in on this round?

sstterry
GURU
GURU

Post by sstterry » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:48 am

chaded wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:54 pm
He is delivering some other ones on the way and said he likes to get a few of them ordered before he delivers them so maybe if your interested you can give him a call and get in on this round?
Thanks for the update, but I am nowhere near you in Ohio. It would be a lot easier for me to make the 2-hour drive to his dealer in SC. but, thanks for thinking of me.

chaded
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by chaded » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:07 am

sstterry wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:48 am
chaded wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:54 pm
Thanks for the update, but I am nowhere near you in Ohio. It would be a lot easier for me to make the 2-hour drive to his dealer in SC. but, thanks for thinking of me.
No problem, I didn’t realize you were 2 hours away. The owner is actually located in South Carolina and is bringing them up this way. I didn’t know if maybe he could ‘swing’ that way on his way up.

pdfangus
GURU
GURU

Post by pdfangus » Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:08 pm

whether you think you can
or whether you think you can't
you are probably right...

someone famous is supposed to have said something like that.
Strength is of no value if it does not have a
useful application for good.
Jim Tate
pdfangus@gmail.com

Banjo
GURU
GURU

Post by Banjo » Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:21 pm

Henry Ford I think.

That's my opinion.....feel free to make it yours.

elkwc
GURU
GURU

Post by elkwc » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:48 pm

If a person is putting out hay close to their place where they can unroll each day it is a good option. Many of our pastures are 20-25 miles one way away and unless it is extremely cold or snow on the ground we feed every 3rd day. In this situation unrolling doesn't work. We do unroll during extreme bad weather where we will be visiting the pasture every day. We also roll out poor quality grass hay during these periods so they have a dry bed to lay on.

chaded
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by chaded » Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:29 pm

bird dog wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:45 am
If I have a roll on backwards, I just unroll in reverse. it won't hurt the hay unless its muddy. Most of it goes between the tires anyway.

I use on of these.
https://www.everythingattachments.com/4 ... u-4-5w.htm

More expensive than others but very well made almost to the point of overkill. It is way heavier built than others. The stand makes it easy to hook up. The initial expense is tough but the implement will last a lot longer than I will.
I ended up getting the unroller you linked here. Very well built. I got it today and started unrolling and I think I’m going to like this better than the rings.

The cows were chasing me and jumping around all excited until I pulled the bale up and left. They thought I was leaving the bale but I just rolled out some and took off. Lol. The calves and bull went to town on it but the cows protested. I reckon they will figure it out.

It’s definitely going to be a learning curve for me trying to figure out how much to unroll. I’d like to get a half of bale rolled out at a time but trying to to judge what’s half was a little hard. I guess I will see how hungry they are tomorrow.