The way I unroll hay

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
chaded
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: The way I unroll hay

Post by chaded » Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:27 pm

sstterry wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:09 pm
$17.50 a bale??? That is dirt cheap. Are they 4x5's?

The guy who makes the Hay-b-gone is from Missouri if I recall. He also has a dealership in South Carolina. Greg Judy also makes a good one and he is also in Missouri.

https://www.goodlifegrassfarms.com/hay-bale-unroller

[/url]http://greenpasturesfarm.net/bale-unrollers[/url]

The cost is about the same.

Let me add, that when I first came to this board, I thought rings were the way to go to avoid waste. However, I have learned that by unrolling you are improving your pasture and not having all of the damage to the field (Again search Greg Judy and you will see his videos on this). With all of that said, if we are going to have a big snow, I will still put a roll or two in rings so that they can get to it and for my own peace of mind.
Yeah they are 4x5’s, netwrapped. He charges $17.50 and that’s for everything except hauling them off the field. He has more than he can do and told me he could do mine if he lost a certain property he was sure he was going to die to the owners selling the place.

But, if I can just use what I usually get then it is even cheaper. A guy I know does it all and we split it because he doesn’t have a field himself.

snoopdog
GURU
GURU

Post by snoopdog » Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:25 pm

I believe that there is a significant cost savings, if you are onsite and can unroll at morning and nite, all they will eat in an hours worth or so. But there are always other considerations, as have been mentioned, babies, cold wet ground etc, as well as having it available in a ring when not on premises. I like to roll my poor quality hay in bitter weather, and then stock the ring with good, especially if I won't see them for another day or so. Rolling hay will definitely develop a field, we've used it time and time again to reclaim overgrazed areas.Someday, I would like to be in a position where overgrazing wasn't necessary, until then, we'll just do the best we can.
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

bball
GURU
GURU

Post by bball » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:28 pm

Bigfoot wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:56 am
I had gotten to where I hated the impact that feeding rolls in rings made. I also hated the mess the tractor left getting the hay to the rings. The little red belly isn’t exactly a delight to drive, but it does start
On the coldest of days, and leaves almost no tracks.
Bigfoot, this may be a tough question to answer, but have you done any figuring to see how long it will take to pay for itself in saved hay/soil improvement? I really like the idea of that unroller and have considered it ever since M-5 posted his home made unroller. Wonder how it would fair across the snow?
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. -Aesop
Exercising compassion provides the most linear and fulfilling state of happiness.

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Bigfoot » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:56 pm

bball wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:28 pm
Bigfoot wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:56 am
I had gotten to where I hated the impact that feeding rolls in rings made. I also hated the mess the tractor left getting the hay to the rings. The little red belly isn’t exactly a delight to drive, but it does start
On the coldest of days, and leaves almost no tracks.
Bigfoot, this may be a tough question to answer, but have you done any figuring to see how long it will take to pay for itself in saved hay/soil improvement? I really like the idea of that unroller and have considered it ever since M-5 posted his home made unroller. Wonder how it would fair across the snow?
Hard to say on the soil improvement, but unrolling hay, does make a marked improvement in the soil. Previously, I was feeding from 25-30 pounds of hay per day per cow. I guess with that in mind, I’m somewhere I the ballpark of saving 10 pounds of hay per day per cow. Saving a lot more than that now, verses feeding in rings, because there is still plenty of grass around for them pick. Same will be true in the spring, when the green up starts. I will cut back to one roll per day, and let them pick. I call my hay worth $35 a roll, so I guess once I’ve saved 62 rolls it’s paid for. A hay unroller for the 3 point hitch would actually be cheaper. All of my hydraulics are tied up with my FEL. I didn’t want to be hooking and unhooking hydraulic hoses all the time to feed hay. That’s why I settled on this particular unroller. I needed something compatible with my little red belly ( which I already owned).
Your not a small business owner. Your a stay at home mom trapped in a pyramid scheme.

sstterry
GURU
GURU

Post by sstterry » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:39 am

Does anyone one know what the transport costs on either of those rigs I posted is? It is just too far for me to go to MO to get one, however, I think the South Carolina dealer is within a reasonable distance.

What is a good 3-pt hitch unroller that is reasonable in price and works well?

chaded
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by chaded » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:20 am

sstterry wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:39 am
Does anyone one know what the transport costs on either of those rigs I posted is? It is just too far for me to go to MO to get one, however, I think the South Carolina dealer is within a reasonable distance.

What is a good 3-pt hitch unroller that is reasonable in price and works well?
I don’t know what the transport cost is but I just talked to Greg (Green Pasture Farms) and he said people are using Uship and that they would load it up on their end. I looked into Uship since I hadn’t ever heard of it and I don’t think I am going to bother.

I am going to call the place in South Carolina today and see what they say. Driving to MO is out of the question for me, the place in SC is 8 hours one way and is likely out of the question as well.

Jeanne - Simme Valley
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Jeanne - Simme Valley » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:10 am

That is super slick!!!
If you have the ability to feed daily, I can see where rolling would really work - in the right environment. You have to have the land that cattle can be on all winter - and not have a couple feet of snow. We have to have "sacrifice" areas that the cattle trample early winter & early spring.
Thanks for sharing. That guy has made a really useful piece of equipment. Trying to see where that "could" work for me, but not coming up with anything - yet.
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

hurleyjd
GURU
GURU

Post by hurleyjd » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:46 am

Will you still have to have a tractor with a front end loader to get the hay out of the barn or out of the row you have it stacked in. Also when you load a bale and is opposite of the way it rolled will you have to reload for it to unroll. I do not have a loader but do not unroll but do scatter the hay with the loader. I get off and take the net or twine from the bale. set the bale on the ground and stick the forks about a foot from the top of the bale and pickup the bale the hay will split and fall on each side. I do this each time until the bale is near nothing. Works to me.

chevytaHOE5674
Rancher
Rancher

Post by chevytaHOE5674 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:52 am

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:10 am
You have to have the land that cattle can be on all winter - and not have a couple feet of snow. We have to have "sacrifice" areas that the cattle trample early winter & early spring.
Thanks for sharing. That guy has made a really useful piece of equipment. Trying to see where that "could" work for me, but not coming up with anything - yet.
I unroll hay all winter long without too much issue. I have a big mfwd tractor so snow isn't too much issue. I have some fields with mixed open and brush, ugly weather I unroll in the brush better days i unroll in the open. Best thing I've done, my pastures are much better, no manure to handle, no cattle in knee deep muck in the in between weather.

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Bigfoot » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:00 am

hurleyjd wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:46 am
Will you still have to have a tractor with a front end loader to get the hay out of the barn or out of the row you have it stacked in. Also when you load a bale and is opposite of the way it rolled will you have to reload for it to unroll. I do not have a loader but do not unroll but do scatter the hay with the loader. I get off and take the net or twine from the bale. set the bale on the ground and stick the forks about a foot from the top of the bale and pickup the bale the hay will split and fall on each side. I do this each time until the bale is near nothing. Works to me.
Yes, I use the FEL to get the hay out of the stack. I actually set out several days worth at once. I can never tell which direction it unrolls. Sometimes I get lucky, sometimes I don't. Basically if you load it the wrong way, you just have to drive twice as far to unroll it. It might even be better that way.
Your not a small business owner. Your a stay at home mom trapped in a pyramid scheme.

bird dog
GURU
GURU

Post by bird dog » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:45 am

If I have a roll on backwards, I just unroll in reverse. it won't hurt the hay unless its muddy. Most of it goes between the tires anyway.

I use on of these.
https://www.everythingattachments.com/4 ... u-4-5w.htm

More expensive than others but very well made almost to the point of overkill. It is way heavier built than others. The stand makes it easy to hook up. The initial expense is tough but the implement will last a lot longer than I will.

chevytaHOE5674
Rancher
Rancher

Post by chevytaHOE5674 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:17 am

I prefer unrolling then backwards to the way they were baled. I'm able to cover more distance and spread it out more.

bball
GURU
GURU

Post by bball » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:38 pm

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:10 am
That is super slick!!!
If you have the ability to feed daily, I can see where rolling would really work - in the right environment. You have to have the land that cattle can be on all winter - and not have a couple feet of snow. We have to have "sacrifice" areas that the cattle trample early winter & early spring.
This has been one of my concerns and slowed my purchase. When i bring the cows home in Jan off of cornstalks, the home farm is only 35 acres. Most of that is in hayfields. I keep a 3 acre area for the barnyard where they water and the corrals are. They loaf here quite a bit. Then I have another 4 acres I feed hay in rings; sacrifice area as you can imagine. I could open up access to the hayfields after the ground freezes and u roll on that. Thoughts or considerations.
I could feed daily I reckon.
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. -Aesop
Exercising compassion provides the most linear and fulfilling state of happiness.

snoopdog
GURU
GURU

Post by snoopdog » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:02 pm

hurleyjd wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:46 am
Hurley, I lower the bucket or forks to the bottom and ease out on the clutch while raising, once it gets rolling its actually pretty easy to keep it rolling
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

SmokinM
Rancher
Rancher

Post by SmokinM » Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:24 pm

So I am new to the unrolling game and it is taking some getting used to. Seems like the cows “ highgrade” thru it then go stand at the gate expecting a new roll. Hay is pretty decent, put it in a ring they clean it up good. Not sure about the less waste part. Maybe they have to learn just like I do. The waste is spread out and I like that, plus I hate the mud circles rings leave. I can see how it would build your land up. I am feeding about 15 lbs. per head a day and there isn’t much picking left so I don’t think to much is the problem. Any tips to keep them from walking right up the middle of it? Any other tips? Up and down or across the hill? Thanks