The way I unroll hay

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
VaCowman
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: The way I unroll hay

Post by VaCowman » Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:35 am

I am intrigued by the pull type unroller. I may have to check into them a little more. I have PLENTY of hills, but with the wet weather we've been having, my fields are getting bad pretty quick. Some areas are already in poor enough condition that I do not try to unroll hay there because I don't want ruts going up and down a hill...they'll be there forever and only get bigger.
For those looking for an affordable 3pt hitch unroller, you might check with your local High School Ag department? I know our local FFA chapter makes 3 point hitch unrollers (among other useful implements, etc.) and sells them as a fundraiser for them. They are built similar to the one linked above, but without the user friendly stands for easily hooking up/unhooking. They are a BEACH to hook up by yourself if you do not put them up on blocks or something, but they work dang good.

sstterry
GURU
GURU

Post by sstterry » Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:19 pm

VaCowman wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:35 am
I am intrigued by the pull type unroller. I may have to check into them a little more. I have PLENTY of hills, but with the wet weather we've been having, my fields are getting bad pretty quick. Some areas are already in poor enough condition that I do not try to unroll hay there because I don't want ruts going up and down a hill...they'll be there forever and only get bigger.
For those looking for an affordable 3pt hitch unroller, you might check with your local High School Ag department? I know our local FFA chapter makes 3 point hitch unrollers (among other useful implements, etc.) and sells them as a fundraiser for them. They are built similar to the one linked above, but without the user friendly stands for easily hooking up/unhooking. They are a BEACH to hook up by yourself if you do not put them up on blocks or something, but they work dang good.
Get an inexpensive trailer jack and bolt-on or weld it to the unroller.

kickinbull
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by kickinbull » Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:30 pm

We sold/ scraped our rings. I didn’t like the mess it made. The boss cows ate most of hay. We used 1/3 less by unrolling it. And we are fertilizing and seeding and don’t have to spread manure.

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Post by 1982vett » Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:34 pm

sstterry wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:19 pm
VaCowman wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:35 am
Get an inexpensive trailer jack and bolt-on or weld it to the unroller.
Or set it on crossties....
Aug 7, 2019 22:51GMT -5 the illustrious potentate said:
Because you have the freedom to say what you think, doesn't always mean that you should.

The right to speak freely is not free of consequences.

Chocolate Cow2
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by Chocolate Cow2 » Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:50 pm

I have unrolled hay for years for my cows. It saved my neck when that first cow tested positive with Johnes disease. My herds exposure was limited because they were always spread out and the hay was unrolled on clean ground.