What to do after stacking

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
spartacus
Cowhand
Cowhand

What to do after stacking

Post by spartacus » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:54 am

Howdy y’all

We just had about 300 acres stacked in south Texas and we will probably spray in spring/summer as a follow up.

However while some fields look pretty clean, some look terrible with lots of blackbrush and small mesquite that remain as vertical sticks and lots of brush that just bent. Outside of rootplowing and raking (I don’t have the budget for that), is there something we can do as a follow up to clean up the remaining junk? Can it be shredded or will that tear up the shredder?

BC
GURU
GURU

Re: What to do after stacking

Post by BC » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:24 am

Shredding will not kill the sprouts. A good herbicide program next spring/,,early summer followed by shredding next fall to clean up.

You msy have to spray for a couple of years to get the seedlings thst germinated. That pasture didn't get overtaken in one year and it will not becleaned up in a year.

bird dog
GURU
GURU

Post by bird dog » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:34 am

BC is correct. Let the sticks ups and brush remains leaf out good and spray a good herbicide with residual when it gets good and hot. Wait a month and do it again. Don't shred if you can avoid it. Shredding tends to trigger the root systems the send out more sprouts.

You will have a tremendous amount of small mesquites come up next year. That is just part of the process and has to be dealt with. With 300 acres. I hope you have a good sprayer.

spartacus
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by spartacus » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:56 am

Thanks gents

I have a guy with a spray truck and a 70ft boom so he can blow through it pretty quick

Mainly I was thinking just cleaning up the visibility this winter as with just a little rain the winter weeds and grasses are already coming in in some fields that were cleared a week ago and better visibility would help the hunting a little

Lucky
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Lucky » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:15 pm

As said above spraying is key. Be sure to talk with a good rep so you spray the right chemical. Shredding won’t hurt a thing to pretty it up. Use a heavy shredder with chain guards if the left over is very heavy.