Haying equipment suggestions for 25 horsepower pto

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
Texasmark
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Haying equipment suggestions for 25 horsepower pto

Post by Texasmark » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:52 am

Caustic Burno wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:55 am
sassafras manor wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:00 am
Do you happen to know what brand it is? Also aside from a sickle bar are there any viable mower conditioners that can be operated at a lower horsepower? I have 5-7 Acres at my place and then another 8 Acres at the greenhouse that it would be nice to have baled on time instead of waiting for my custom baler. Thanks
No I don’t know the brand. It’s green that much I know.
A stand alone crimper, for the crops requiring crimping, pull type is a New Holland 404. Popular before the advent of the MOwer COnditioner available back in the 1960's like the JD 1207 (7 ft) or 1209 (9 ft for larger equipment).

I find that unless you are cutting Sudan-Sorghum "Haygrazer" type crops, the tedder works very well as a "crimper" even though it's main task is scattering hay. The tines rotate at a reasonably high speed and when they smack the clippings, inertia in the tine overcomes the resistance of the stem of the grass lying on the ground and causes it to "kink", thus allowing an exit point for moisture. Going out to a field that has been teddered and picking up a stem of grass like would be with Dallisgrass, or Fescue, or Rye, or such, you will find half a dozen cracks in one stem. Spend your money on the tedder and forget the crimper.

sassafras manor
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by sassafras manor » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:30 pm

Thanks for all of the helpful info. I already have a bale spear on my rear 3 pt to move our current large round bales out of the field/feed during the winter. Lots to consider.

kentuckyguy
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by kentuckyguy » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:17 am

I will add that I also ran a case 8420 baler with a Mahindra 3616. It actually was less work on the tractor than the square baler is.

All the baking was done on flat ground. The biggest issue is the baler with a roll of hay in it is pushing 3000lbs.

hurleyjd
GURU
GURU

Post by hurleyjd » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:48 pm

sassafras manor wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:28 am
Aside from getting a larger tractor are there any worthwhile options for haying equipment for a 30 horse engine/25 horse pto tractor? Thanks again
Look fora 380 Hesston baler should be bought for around $4000. IH 7 foot 1300 sickle mower and a pull type side delivery rake John Deere New Holland are two that comes to mind. The baler lists 40 hp but you tractor will probable handle it. Check on line for tractorhouse and look for something close to you.

sassafras manor
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by sassafras manor » Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:15 am

Thanks for the advice. Lots to consider. Talking with my neighbor last night we came to the conclusion that if I purchase everything aside from a baler and cut the same time as him that he would bale for me. In exchange for some of the baling costs I would also help gim cut, tet and rake. That would allow me to use my tractor and limit my equipment needs.