Rained on Bales before Wrapping ?

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Rained on Bales before Wrapping ?

Post by Stocker Steve » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:44 pm

Any issue or benefit from getting rain on 35 to 40% moisture rolls before they get wrapped the next day ?
Last edited by Stocker Steve on Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stocker Steve

Silver
GURU
GURU

Re: Rained on Bales before Wrapping ?

Post by Silver » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:47 pm

I'd only be concerned with the next day part of the equation.

jltrent
GURU
GURU

Post by jltrent » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:50 pm

If they are air tight, will be like haylage which has a 60%+ moisture content.

When forage is cut, it has 75 to 80% water and must be dried down to 60 to 65% moisture content for haylage and down to 12 to 16% moisture content for hay (lower figures for larger bales). respiration continues after the plant is cut.

chevytaHOE5674
Rancher
Rancher

Post by chevytaHOE5674 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:07 pm

Bales that get rained on will not end up like haylage. There is no stem moisture for the fermentation process just external moisture.

My experience has been very very bad with wrapping bales that got heavy rain on them and didnt dry out before wrapping. Lots and lots of black slimy mold and nasty. From now on they sit and try before wrapping after rain.

Silver
GURU
GURU

Post by Silver » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:13 pm

Maybe I misunderstood the OP. It sounded to me like Steve baled wet hay (baleage) to be wrapped the next day, and the bales got rained on right after baling. Is that correct?

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Post by Stocker Steve » Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:35 pm

Silver wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:13 pm
Maybe I misunderstood the OP. It sounded to me like Steve baled wet hay (baleage) to be wrapped the next day, and the bales got rained on right after baling. Is that correct?
Yes. Getting light rain every couple days, so dry hay does not work well with legume grass mixes.
Stocker Steve

Silver
GURU
GURU

Post by Silver » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:15 am

Stocker Steve wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:35 pm
Silver wrote:
Yes. Getting light rain every couple days, so dry hay does not work well with legume grass mixes.
Then I wouldn’t be concerned with rain on the bales, as long as it’s not raining while you wrap. I just wouldn’t want to wrap the day after I baled if I could help it.

bball
GURU
GURU

Post by bball » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:45 am

Silver wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:15 am
Stocker Steve wrote:
Silver wrote:
Then I wouldn’t be concerned with rain on the bales, as long as it’s not raining while you wrap. I just wouldn’t want to wrap the day after I baled if I could help it.
Agreed silver. We get them wrapped just as soon as we get them baled up. We have had to wrap a few in a light drizzle, but never noticed a remarkable difference in those bales from the ones put up under ideal circumstances. Lucky maybe.
We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are. -Anais Nin
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. -Aesop

gcreekrch
Rancher
Rancher

Post by gcreekrch » Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:49 am

Silver wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:15 am
Stocker Steve wrote:
Silver wrote:
We quite often wrap on the day following if short handed to no ill effect that we’ve noticed. Legumes in the baleage might make the story different.

A drizzle on bales or while wrapping hasn’t been an issue either.

It is nice to be perfect and be able to do everything according to the book but things don’t always work that way. Glad you are getting some feed up.
Vaccinations, cheaper than whiskey. ;-)

Silver
GURU
GURU

Post by Silver » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:13 am

Rain while wrapping is proven to affect the seal / stickiness of the plastic, allowing more oxygen in.
The most noticeable affect for me is the plastic getting wrapped around the conveyor / rollers and as the bales head down the ramp. This ends up in a real mess and spoiled baleage.
We've too have wrapped the next day when forced into it.

gcreekrch
Rancher
Rancher

Post by gcreekrch » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:26 am

Silver wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:13 am
Rain while wrapping is proven to affect the seal / stickiness of the plastic, allowing more oxygen in.
The most noticeable affect for me is the plastic getting wrapped around the conveyor / rollers and as the bales head down the ramp. This ends up in a real mess and spoiled baleage.
A bucket of dust or flour with a handful thrown on the lead roller occasionally stops that issue.

Stickney94
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by Stickney94 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:18 pm

In that situation I'm not sure there is much you can do other than wait for the rain to stop, let them dry off a bit, and wrap.

I've wrapped two or three after getting rained on and sitting overnight and I don't recall them being dramatically worse in terms of spoilage (speaking to alfalfa and alfalfa/grass mixed baleage).

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Post by Stocker Steve » Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:19 pm

gcreekrch wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:26 am
[quote=Silver
A bucket of dust or flour with a handful thrown on the lead roller occasionally stops that issue.
[/quote]

I believe there is a slip agent on one side of the plastic so they can handle it at the factory. Need that side on the rollers for best result.
Stocker Steve

Silver
GURU
GURU

Post by Silver » Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:39 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:19 pm
gcreekrch wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:26 am
[quote=Silver
I believe there is a slip agent on one side of the plastic so they can handle it at the factory. Need that side on the rollers for best result.
[/quote]

I wouldn't doubt you, but there is no indication on the package as to which way to put the plastic on, even the diagram on the wrapper shows the roll either under wound or over wound.
If it were on backwards it might not stick to itself very well either.

gcreekrch
Rancher
Rancher

Post by gcreekrch » Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:49 pm

Loaded backwards they won’t feed either.