We were making hay

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
Dave
GURU
GURU

We were making hay

Post by Dave » Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:38 am

This equipment will make a lot of hay in a hurry. Until it doesn't....... Blow a hydraulic line on the 4th of July and you might as well go watch the fireworks because that is where all the people from the repair shops are at.

39 big square bales in less than two hours. This thing will eat up the hay. But when the rake is parked waiting for a hose, everything else gets parked. I was hoping to get the hay off the fields so I could turn the water on but it is looking like that will be waiting until Monday.

JW IN VA
Rancher
Rancher

Re: We were making hay

Post by JW IN VA » Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:57 am

I'm sure most of us have been there.It's frustrating.
Not everything your neighbors do is wrong-Not everything they do is right,either.

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Post by farmerjan » Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:28 pm

Yep, been there done that. At least we can get hydraulic hoses made at the truck stop garage if need be but they are more expensive. Ours always seem to break when it is looking like rain before evening and you are pushing to try to get done.

chevytaHOE5674
Rancher
Rancher

Post by chevytaHOE5674 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:51 pm

People wonder why I have boxes of hoses, adaptors, field serviceable ends, etc on hand 24/7. Because with our weather windows I cant afford to be parked for something simple like a hydraulic hose.

Dave
GURU
GURU

Post by Dave » Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:16 pm

Rain is not an issue here. In fact most people would be happy to trade a little rained on hay for rained on range land. We get 10 inches annual. The average rainfall for June is 1.18 inches and July it is 0.67 inch.
The rake is going and almost finished. Grass cut by a big MF swather with a 16 foot header. The rake is a 9 wheel V rake that brings two windrows together. That is 32 feet of grass into one windrow. These are some real big windrows.

snoopdog
GURU
GURU

Post by snoopdog » Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:37 pm

Yeah, I've been stopped this year on a saturday by a flat, odd size, and just recently by a bearing, on a holiday. The hayfield has not been kind, with the window of opportunity and parts availability, but we do what we do and roll on. I wouldn't have it any other way, and if I could only worry about equipment, life would be peaceful.
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is