Rolls with plastic string

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
DCA farm
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 203
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:45 am
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 15 times

Rolls with plastic string

Post by DCA farm » Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:12 pm

Bought some rolls today baled with blue plastic string should I remove it when I feed rolls or don’t bother I normally don’t remove the strings but this crap is plastic.



User avatar
TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 13411
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:49 pm
Location: Live in Franklin, TN farm in Warsaw, KY
Has thanked: 537 times
Been thanked: 503 times

Re: Rolls with plastic string

Post by TennesseeTuxedo » Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:14 pm

DCA farm wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:12 pm
Bought some rolls today baled with blue plastic string should I remove it when I feed rolls or don’t bother I normally don’t remove the strings but this crap is plastic.
Yes, yes, yes, a thousand times yes.
You're not paranoid, they really are out to get you!

User avatar
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty
Posts: 24094
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Big Thicket East Texas
Has thanked: 182 times
Been thanked: 469 times

Re: Rolls with plastic string

Post by Caustic Burno » Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:22 pm

Oh yes and burn it as it will take a thousand years to deteriorate.
Money doesn’t buy happiness, but the lack does buy misery.

DCA farm
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 203
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:45 am
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 15 times

Re: Rolls with plastic string

Post by DCA farm » Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:27 pm

Didn’t know it had plastic string till I got there to get loaded up only bought 1 trailer load of it luckily

DCA farm
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 203
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:45 am
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 15 times

Re: Rolls with plastic string

Post by DCA farm » Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:29 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:22 pm
Oh yes and burn it as it will take a thousand years to deteriorate.
I’m sure it will

User avatar
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty
Posts: 24094
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Big Thicket East Texas
Has thanked: 182 times
Been thanked: 469 times

Re: Rolls with plastic string

Post by Caustic Burno » Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:34 pm

DCA farm wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:27 pm
Didn’t know it had plastic string till I got there to get loaded up only bought 1 trailer load of it luckily
Plastic was common here as lots of hay is stored outside.
Net wrap has rapidly replaced string except for a few running old bailers.
Money doesn’t buy happiness, but the lack does buy misery.

User avatar
sstterry
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1227
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:04 am
Location: Bulls Gap, TN
Has thanked: 186 times
Been thanked: 135 times

Re: Rolls with plastic string

Post by sstterry » Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:36 pm

You have the message from these posts. Fields covered in the plastic string are not good! I have a hard enough time with the twine I miss from time to time.

User avatar
BFE
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 145
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:24 pm
Location: Southeast Illinois
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 8 times

Re: Rolls with plastic string

Post by BFE » Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:33 am

I hate the plastic twine. I'm partial color blind, and have trouble spotting them all sometimes. I'm to the point where I'll only buy bales with it as a last resort, net wrap is the way to go.

Texasmark
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 786
Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:56 pm
Location: N. Texas
Has thanked: 41 times
Been thanked: 36 times

Re: Rolls with plastic string

Post by Texasmark » Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:47 am

For those of limited means, STOs, or retired and having downsized, the old twine baler (1991 JD 375) just has to get-r-done, preferred or not.

Twine gets wrapped around the animal's legs and causes big problems, when plowing or mowing it gets wrapped around the blades/spindles or tines.

Net wrap does a much better job of helping rounds resist outside storage no doubt and I'd upgrade if it was the thing to do.

User avatar
Brute 23
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7804
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:59 pm
Location: South Texas Gulf Coast
Has thanked: 94 times
Been thanked: 85 times

Re: Rolls with plastic string

Post by Brute 23 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:52 am

The hay guys tried to make a push for wrap around here a couple years back. No one will use it any more. I tell my hay guy every year before he start that I wont pay for net wrap bales. That crap is a mess, especially when it get old and starts rotting. After feeding one day the whole bed of my truck will be plum full of wrap. With strings it's a nice neat 5 gallon bucket.
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

User avatar
Silver
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1664
Joined: Tue May 19, 2009 12:08 am
Location: BC Peace River country
Has thanked: 519 times
Been thanked: 456 times

Re: Rolls with plastic string

Post by Silver » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:26 am

No net wrap allowed here anymore. I tried hard, I wanted it to work, but it doesn't.

hurleyjd
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4143
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:52 am
Location: Yantis, Texas
Has thanked: 26 times
Been thanked: 72 times

Re: Rolls with plastic string

Post by hurleyjd » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:48 am

Texasmark wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:47 am
For those of limited means, STOs, or retired and having downsized, the old twine baler (1991 JD 375) just has to get-r-done, preferred or not.

Twine gets wrapped around the animal's legs and causes big problems, when plowing or mowing it gets wrapped around the blades/spindles or tines.

Net wrap does a much better job of helping rounds resist outside storage no doubt and I'd upgrade if it was the thing to do.
There is no reason not to remove the plastic either twine or net and burn it. I have burn barrels that I put it in and burn after each feeding. Even with careful control of the net and twine I still have some problems. The problems are with cows ingesting the twine and string and geting it balled up between their stomachs and dieing from it. I have found this after dragging a dead cow to the back of the woods and after decaying and the buzzards feasting have found the plastic there will be a ball and another ball attached to each other with a string of the plastic between the balls. Have also found the plastic shopping bags in this mess. Shopping bags blow across the fields from people throwing them out of the car windows after emptying them.

User avatar
Hippie Rancher
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1587
Joined: Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:38 pm
Location: Arizona
Has thanked: 94 times
Been thanked: 65 times

Re: Rolls with plastic string

Post by Hippie Rancher » Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:51 pm

what the heck was wrong with actual baling wire??!!! I have to buy a box of it every year or so now.

DCA farm
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 203
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:45 am
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 15 times

Re: Rolls with plastic string

Post by DCA farm » Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:02 pm

hurleyjd wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:48 am
Texasmark wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:47 am
For those of limited means, STOs, or retired and having downsized, the old twine baler (1991 JD 375) just has to get-r-done, preferred or not.

Twine gets wrapped around the animal's legs and causes big problems, when plowing or mowing it gets wrapped around the blades/spindles or tines.

Net wrap does a much better job of helping rounds resist outside storage no doubt and I'd upgrade if it was the thing to do.
There is no reason not to remove the plastic either twine or net and burn it. I have burn barrels that I put it in and burn after each feeding. Even with careful control of the net and twine I still have some problems. The problems are with cows ingesting the twine and string and geting it balled up between their stomachs and dieing from it. I have found this after dragging a dead cow to the back of the woods and after decaying and the buzzards feasting have found the plastic there will be a ball and another ball attached to each other with a string of the plastic between the balls. Have also found the plastic shopping bags in this mess. Shopping bags blow across the fields from people throwing them out of the car windows after emptying them.
Busted a bale last year it had a flat basket ball and about a bunch of shredded bud light beer cans in it I ended up burning the whole bale before cows got to it I wasn’t gonna risk them eating nothing stupid out of it

User avatar
greybeard
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 18666
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:51 pm
Location: Cleveland Tx
Has thanked: 106 times
Been thanked: 465 times

Re: Rolls with plastic string

Post by greybeard » Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:39 pm

I burned that plastic net and string for the last 2 years.most of it just melted into a big plastic lump in the bottom of the barrel and emitted a black smoke worse than burning car tires..
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke
Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.
It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Post Reply