A Hay Calamity

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
Bright Raven
Mentor
Mentor

A Hay Calamity

Post by Bright Raven » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:01 pm

My 74 year old supplier of hay, says this is the worse hay year he has seen. It is the middle of June. There was only a single 3 day stretch that provided the conditions for harvesting hay. Most producers missed that window. The hayfields are over mature. Protein levels are going to be low. It rained most of today. It is dry tomorrow but starts raining Saturday afternoon and continues all next week. It just cannot get much worse than this. Most have not rolled a single roll of hay yet.

"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Re: A Hay Calamity

Post by TennesseeTuxedo » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:39 pm

We only have 54 rolls put up. Just picked up 50 acres to cut but our weather is much like yours.
Making Cattle Today Great Again!
Sometimes you do have to throw out the babies with the bath water.

Bright Raven
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Bright Raven » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:42 pm

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:39 pm
We only have 54 rolls put up. Just picked up 50 acres to cut but our weather is much like yours.
To add insult to injury, those are not good hay making temperatures, even if you miss the rain. And suppose to be humid. Not good hay weather.
Diogenes.

Texasmark
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Texasmark » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:33 pm

I too spelled doom and gloom but end of May I got a small window, took a chance, hay dried out by mid afternoon and baled it got.....all of it.

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Post by True Grit Farms » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:47 pm

I fed all my first hay cutting trying to make it through the drought. I bought another load of hay which should get me through for awhile. We put 90 units of N out per acre so I can't put the cows on grass for 10 days. Looks like the grass has been growing a couple of inches every night.
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Post by Son of Butch » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:52 pm

Grass Hay 14% m testing 8-11% protein sold for 120-$150 ton last week here in Mn.
Alfalfa brought $210 - $265 ton plus delivery
Last edited by Son of Butch on Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Fire Sweep Ranch
GURU
GURU

Post by Fire Sweep Ranch » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:53 pm

We are the same in SW MO. I have 30 acres waiting to cut... it is way to mature and will be rank IF we ever get a window to get it cut, dried, and baled....
God, family, and Simmental cattle; that's what makes life worth living!

snoopdog
GURU
GURU

Post by snoopdog » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:29 pm

I will never gripe about the rain, it sucks that you can't cut at peak production and value. But the other way sucks more.
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

bball
GURU
GURU

Post by bball » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:59 pm

Took a chance 2 days ago and knocked down 20 acres. Left it piled up due to a chance of rain last night. Fortunately, only got a tenth on it. Tedded it all out this afternoon. Looks like the grass will make dry hay tomorrow. The heavy clover field is going to have to be wrapped I suspect because more rain coming again on Saturday. It's do or die for tomorrow.
Have another 22 acre field that is heavy clover and alfalfa that I left alone this go round. Good thing I did; will have my hands full getting this baled and put up before the rain hits again.
We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are. -Anais Nin
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. -Aesop

cowrancher75
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by cowrancher75 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:11 am

True Grit Farms wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:47 pm
I fed all my first hay cutting trying to make it through the drought. I bought another load of hay which should get me through for awhile. We put 90 units of N out per acre so I can't put the cows on grass for 10 days. Looks like the grass has been growing a couple of inches every night.
they feed urea to animals all day.. never heard of waiting 10 days

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Post by True Grit Farms » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:32 am

cowrancher75 wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:11 am
True Grit Farms wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:47 pm
they feed urea to animals all day.. never heard of waiting 10 days
The stuff I sprayed is really nasty looking and stinks, but works excellent. I think it was a 24-0-0-3 mixture? And supposedly will kill a cow dead if they get into it? IDK, but I'm doing what I was told buy the folks that sell it.
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Post by Caustic Burno » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:58 am

Bright Raven wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:01 pm
My 74 year old supplier of hay, says this is the worse hay year he has seen. It is the middle of June. There was only a single 3 day stretch that provided the conditions for harvesting hay. Most producers missed that window. The hayfields are over mature. Protein levels are going to be low. It rained most of today. It is dry tomorrow but starts raining Saturday afternoon and continues all next week. It just cannot get much worse than this. Most have not rolled a single roll of hay yet.

Might want to heed the advice TT gave me and move, if you can’t handle low humidity and a little rain.
Money doesn’t buy happiness, but the lack does buy misery.

Bright Raven
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Bright Raven » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:00 am

Caustic Burno wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:58 am
Bright Raven wrote:

Might want to heed the advice TT gave me and move, if you can’t handle low humidity and a little rain.
Do you pay any attention to TT? :compute:
Diogenes.

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Post by Caustic Burno » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:58 am

Bright Raven wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:00 am
Caustic Burno wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:58 am
Bright Raven wrote:

Do you pay any attention to TT? :compute:
No I don’t.
It unusually cool here this morning at 63. Calves wanted to play.
Took this picture this morning of a 1/2 SH Hereford I have. Only reason I have her is I bought from my good friends widow during his herd sale after he died.
She must give pure cream wished I had bought more.

Money doesn’t buy happiness, but the lack does buy misery.

millstreaminn
Rancher
Rancher

Post by millstreaminn » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:41 am

Same weather pattern here. One field to go, made 115 wrapped bales, 32 dry. Thank God for the hay wrapper.
When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others. It is the same when you are stupid.