Storing Round Bales Outside

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
User avatar
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU
Posts: 9544
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:57 pm
Location: Kentucky
Has thanked: 415 times
Been thanked: 432 times

Storing Round Bales Outside

Post by Bright Raven » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:07 am

I discussed this with Jeanne and she may not agree. Elwood was just here. He is 74 and the biggest hay supplier in the County. I buy all my hay from him. He recommends putting the round bales end to end with about 6 inches at a minimum between rounds. Jeanne said to push them together end to end and apply pressure with the tractor.

Both Elwood and Jeanne agree, do not let the rows touch. Allow a minimum of a foot says Elwood.


"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

rollinhills
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 222
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:06 pm
Location: Central Ky along the Ohio River
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 6 times

Re: Storing Round Bales Outside

Post by rollinhills » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:25 am

That would be correct, need room on the sides for water run off and to dry off.

User avatar
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU
Posts: 9544
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:57 pm
Location: Kentucky
Has thanked: 415 times
Been thanked: 432 times

Re: Storing Round Bales Outside

Post by Bright Raven » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:50 am

rollinhills wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:25 am
That would be correct, need room on the sides for water run off and to dry off.
Thanks. The difference in opinion is whether you push the flat ends up against each other end to end. Or allow a few inches open between rolls.
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

callmefence
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5487
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:36 pm
Location: Fencemans place...central Texas
Has thanked: 167 times
Been thanked: 262 times

Re: Storing Round Bales Outside

Post by callmefence » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:16 am

Jeanne is right. Jam the ends up tight.
As you pull bales out to feed you'll see the ends are as fresh as the day it was put up. Enough room to walk through between the rows.
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.




You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

User avatar
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 9250
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:29 pm
Location: Middle Georgia
Has thanked: 168 times
Been thanked: 456 times

Re: Storing Round Bales Outside

Post by True Grit Farms » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:32 am

The quality hay producer's here leave a space between the rolls. I jam mine together tight but see mold at times between the folls.
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

User avatar
bigbluegrass
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 291
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:39 pm
Location: Northern KY
Has thanked: 57 times
Been thanked: 21 times

Re: Storing Round Bales Outside

Post by bigbluegrass » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:43 am

I would agree with Jeanne. I stack mine tight, end to end in rows. Most years, the ends look fresh when pulled out of the stack - sometimes, with heavy rain, they have mold.

There are many regional difference in how hay is stacked. In the drier part of the Dakotas for example, they stack round bales three high with three wide on the bottom, two in the middle row and one on top. I have seen hay in stacks like that 5 years old that still looked good and the livestock ate fine. This is in an area where the average annual precipitation is 14", most of it coming in the winter as snow. That stack won't work in KY unless you have it under a good tarp or store inside. Ask me how I know, I tried it ONCE! The hay stack got hot and molded.
"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a harder battle." - Plato

"Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something" - Plato

ValleyView
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed May 01, 2019 10:55 pm
Location: Winchester, Ok
Has thanked: 31 times
Been thanked: 9 times

Re: Storing Round Bales Outside

Post by ValleyView » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:17 pm

Orientation of the rows (North/South vs West/East) etc, also comes into play.

According to one study (OK State) which I’ll try to find showed uncovered and stored hay in a North/South row molded less than hay stored in rows West/East.

Thought being, bales were exposed to more even sunlight throughout the day. This is how I store my hay.
First generation Brangus Cow Calf producer.

Easier to learn when you don’t know much!

VVCC

User avatar
bball
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3142
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:43 am
Location: Indiana
Has thanked: 251 times
Been thanked: 85 times

Re: Storing Round Bales Outside

Post by bball » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:41 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:07 am
I discussed this with Jeanne and she may not agree. Elwood was just here. He is 74 and the biggest hay supplier in the County. I buy all my hay from him. He recommends putting the round bales end to end with about 6 inches at a minimum between rounds. Jeanne said to push them together end to end and apply pressure with the tractor.

Both Elwood and Jeanne agree, do not let the rows touch. Allow a minimum of a foot says Elwood.
Elwoods correct. Leave a few inches between. I get less spoilage with that instead of butting them up tight. Always get moisture built up and no way to dry out.
We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are. -Anais Nin
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. -Aesop

chevytaHOE5674
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 611
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:40 pm
Location: Western UP, Mi
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 20 times

Re: Storing Round Bales Outside

Post by chevytaHOE5674 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:04 pm

When I have excess hay and need to store it outside I put bales in single rows pushed as tight together as my tractor will push. When I feed those bales the hay is fresh as can be in between, if I leave a gap then they weather and mold.

User avatar
JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4422
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:51 pm
Location: Middle Georgia
Has thanked: 218 times
Been thanked: 240 times

Re: Storing Round Bales Outside

Post by JMJ Farms » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:08 pm

I’m on the other side of the fence. I jam em up tight with about 5 foot between rows. And I try to stack with the rows running east/west. My thoughts were that our predominantly west winds would help with air flow. But north/south may be better. I’ve never tried it.

With all that said, I really wish I had a hay barn. I hate wasting what is my single biggest yearly expense.
Until we remember that the left wing and the right wing belong to the same bird and we come together as a nation then this country is in for more turmoil - Jogeephus

User avatar
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty
Posts: 23907
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Big Thicket East Texas
Has thanked: 161 times
Been thanked: 346 times

Re: Storing Round Bales Outside

Post by Caustic Burno » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:12 pm

JMJ Farms wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:08 pm
I’m on the other side of the fence. I jam em up tight with about 5 foot between rows. And I try to stack with the rows running east/west. My thoughts were that our predominantly west winds would help with air flow. But north/south may be better. I’ve never tried it.

With all that said, I really wish I had a hay barn. I hate wasting what is my single biggest yearly expense.
I am thinking shrink wrap is the way to go.
Money doesn’t buy happiness, but the lack does buy misery.

User avatar
JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4422
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:51 pm
Location: Middle Georgia
Has thanked: 218 times
Been thanked: 240 times

Re: Storing Round Bales Outside

Post by JMJ Farms » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:18 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:12 pm
JMJ Farms wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:08 pm
I’m on the other side of the fence. I jam em up tight with about 5 foot between rows. And I try to stack with the rows running east/west. My thoughts were that our predominantly west winds would help with air flow. But north/south may be better. I’ve never tried it.

With all that said, I really wish I had a hay barn. I hate wasting what is my single biggest yearly expense.
I am thinking shrink wrap is the way to go.
Could be. But it’s gonna take a minute!
Until we remember that the left wing and the right wing belong to the same bird and we come together as a nation then this country is in for more turmoil - Jogeephus

User avatar
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty
Posts: 23907
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Big Thicket East Texas
Has thanked: 161 times
Been thanked: 346 times

Re: Storing Round Bales Outside

Post by Caustic Burno » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:55 pm

JMJ Farms wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:18 pm
Caustic Burno wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:12 pm
JMJ Farms wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:08 pm
I’m on the other side of the fence. I jam em up tight with about 5 foot between rows. And I try to stack with the rows running east/west. My thoughts were that our predominantly west winds would help with air flow. But north/south may be better. I’ve never tried it.

With all that said, I really wish I had a hay barn. I hate wasting what is my single biggest yearly expense.
I am thinking shrink wrap is the way to go.
Could be. But it’s gonna take a minute!

They have balers now that use shrink wrap.
Money doesn’t buy happiness, but the lack does buy misery.

chevytaHOE5674
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 611
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:40 pm
Location: Western UP, Mi
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 20 times

Re: Storing Round Bales Outside

Post by chevytaHOE5674 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:51 pm

Plastic wrapping dry hay (especially individually) can get pricey. It can be a good way to keep hay dry but if your plan is a long term solution a barn will be way more cost effective.

User avatar
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty
Posts: 23907
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Big Thicket East Texas
Has thanked: 161 times
Been thanked: 346 times

Re: Storing Round Bales Outside

Post by Caustic Burno » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:56 pm

chevytaHOE5674 wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:51 pm
Plastic wrapping dry hay (especially individually) can get pricey. It can be a good way to keep hay dry but if your plan is a long term solution a barn will be way more cost effective.
As tax crazy as they are going here I don’t that the barn is the best way.
If you pour a slab the counties eyes light up.
Money doesn’t buy happiness, but the lack does buy misery.

Post Reply