Too much grass

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Too much grass

Post by Stocker Steve » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:40 pm

Really late spring, but 1.5" of rain last night and cool season forage is exploding. No blooms yet except for dandelions. Looking into buying some grass cattle. Corn price volatility has some folks spooked.

Stocker Steve

chevytaHOE5674
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Too much grass

Post by chevytaHOE5674 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:49 pm

I wish I had that problem. The cold wet continued weather has stunted everything. As I type its 51 degrees and pouring rain, by the middle of the week we may have high temps in the 40s again. Still heating the house with the wood stove and feeding some hay and baleage to the cows.

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Post by Stocker Steve » Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:48 pm

Turned off the wood heat last week. :banana: No hay feeding here, but we are seeing some cull pairs and grass cattle coming down from the northern border. They were dry for two years, and now I think they are out of forage up there.

An old French trick is to apply 30 to 40# of actual N when the trees start to leaf out. "Heats up the soil" when the biology is still asleep. Should move turn out up about 2 weeks, and extra forage should cost less than 2 cents per lb. DM.
Stocker Steve

Aaron
GURU
GURU

Post by Aaron » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:06 am

Got most of fertilizer out on Thursday and Friday. Couple fields and majority of pastures never got done as plant wasn't open for loading on Saturday - lazy people and Ma Nature's excess water saved me from spending an extra $3k. Got 1.6" from that system. More than enough to cement a decent hay drop for the season. Time for two dry hot months ahead. Fields have been growing at 1-2" every day this week. Down to one cow left to calve. Had 91% in first cycle, and all but this last one in a month's time. Will be sending girls to their summer homes this week and next.
cor durum laborem

W.B.
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by W.B. » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:27 am

I would say corn prices are as cheap today as they are going to be for quite awhile. Lots of ground here that never got planted. We never warmed up till June now cool again this week. The corn that did get in is just emerging. Easily the latest corn crop in my lifetime.

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Post by Stocker Steve » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:08 am

Talking heads are telling users to lock in corn for 2019, and for producers to presell some corn for 2020. Who knows.

In theory, higher corn prices increases VOG and makes grazing stockers more profitable. :nod: Need to play the rebound.

Tried to buy some cattle yesterday. Ended up with 8 head. Plenty of bidders. Kill buyers wanted heavy breds for fetal blood, and bought most of the big fall calvers, paying up to about 70 cents...
Last edited by Stocker Steve on Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stocker Steve

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Post by kenny thomas » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:11 am

Kill buyers wanted heavy breds for fetal blood...
[/quote]
Explain that please Steve. I have not heard that mentioned before.
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Post by Stocker Steve » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:17 am

Apparently they draw blood out of the umbilical cord for lab use. I was told it is being used to grow fake meat?

They like fleshy breds - - fall calvers and dairy replacements currently. Paying about $250 for an unborn calf...
Stocker Steve

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Post by kenny thomas » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:22 am

Stocker Steve wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:17 am
Apparently they draw blood out of the umbilical cord for lab use. I was told it is being used to grow fake meat?

They like fleshy breds - - fall calvers and dairy replacements currently. Paying about $250 for an unborn calf...
Thanks for the info. Must be a specialized thing.
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Post by Stocker Steve » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:40 am

Sounds like they have been doing this for about 6 months in certain kill facilities.
Stocker Steve

rollinhills
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by rollinhills » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:35 am

Stocker Steve wrote:

I bet those fake meat eaters would love to know that?????

Texas PaPaw
GURU
GURU

Post by Texas PaPaw » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:11 pm

kenny thomas wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:22 am
Stocker Steve wrote:

Thanks for the info. Must be a specialized thing.
At least 2 major cow packers been harvesting the fetal blood for over 2 years. According to Wikipedia, it is normally drawn from the heart of calf from just killed cows. They have been paying at least 5 cents over top kill value for many heavy bred cows. Packers are bidding a lot of the profit out of the last calf heifers. Bovine fetal blood serum is for sale on the net for $349/500 ml and up. Not sure how much of this blood they get from a heavy bred cow but they are sure willing to pay for it.
Good luck & happy trails.

Brock

Brock's Law "If you do enough stumblin', you'll stumble on to something"

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Post by Stocker Steve » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:59 pm

[quote="Texas PaPaw" Bovine fetal blood serum is for sale on the net for $349/500 ml and up. Not sure how much of this blood they get from a heavy bred cow but they are sure willing to pay for it. [/quote]

What are the major uses?
Stocker Steve

Dave
GURU
GURU

Post by Dave » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:14 pm

I had a kill buyer tell me that they harvest that blood at least 10 years ago. I have no idea how or what they were doing with it. But if it has value you can bet those kill plants are taking advantage of it.

Texas PaPaw
GURU
GURU

Post by Texas PaPaw » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:33 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:59 pm
[quote="Texas PaPaw" Bovine fetal blood serum is for sale on the net for $349/500 ml and up. Not sure how much of this blood they get from a heavy bred cow but they are sure willing to pay for it.
What are the major uses?
[/quote]

Steve, here's an article that google found that explains a lot of the uses. As I understand fetal blood serum is used in medical research, vaccine production and many other uses including base cells for fake meat.

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_an ... _meat.html
Good luck & happy trails.

Brock

Brock's Law "If you do enough stumblin', you'll stumble on to something"