New Baler

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
User avatar
CCCowman
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 121
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:08 pm
Location: East Tennessee
Has thanked: 46 times
Been thanked: 20 times

New Baler

Post by CCCowman » Thu May 23, 2019 5:55 am

Looking at a new baler. Vermeer Rebel 5400 or New Holland 450 Utility. Any opinions on these?


Some people are just dumber in the head than a hog is in the butt.

hurleyjd
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4233
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:52 am
Location: Yantis, Texas
Has thanked: 30 times
Been thanked: 98 times

Re: New Baler

Post by hurleyjd » Thu May 23, 2019 6:54 am

Stay away from the Rebel 5400, had one and it was always a problem to use. Prone for the belts to quit turning.

User avatar
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 9454
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:29 pm
Location: Middle Georgia
Has thanked: 185 times
Been thanked: 569 times

Re: New Baler

Post by True Grit Farms » Thu May 23, 2019 7:32 am

A Vermeer 5400 is the simplest baler made, and the best. IMO And by the way the belts aren't supposed to turn until hay is forced against them by the pickup.
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Texasmark
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 811
Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:56 pm
Location: N. Texas
Has thanked: 56 times
Been thanked: 40 times

Re: New Baler

Post by Texasmark » Thu May 23, 2019 8:01 am

True Grit Farms wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 7:32 am
A Vermeer 5400 is the simplest baler made, and the best. IMO And by the way the belts aren't supposed to turn until hay is forced against them by the pickup.
No idea as to the 5400 but my JD 375, for the STO type farm is a honey, hands down. Had to put some roller bearings in it because the PO left it out in the weather but being a '91 model....so be it.

hurleyjd
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4233
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:52 am
Location: Yantis, Texas
Has thanked: 30 times
Been thanked: 98 times

Re: New Baler

Post by hurleyjd » Thu May 23, 2019 9:09 am

You now have two opinions on the 5400 baler one good and one bad. Go to this website for more opinions.
https://www.haytalk.com/forums/topic/11 ... belt-slip/

littletom
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 868
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:01 pm
Location: southern Ky
Been thanked: 12 times

Re: New Baler

Post by littletom » Thu May 23, 2019 12:25 pm

We have 2 year old nh 560 rollbelt really no problems with it. Just a standard dry hay roller

User avatar
pricefarm
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1337
Joined: Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:05 pm
Location: Southwest Va
Has thanked: 32 times
Been thanked: 19 times

Re: New Baler

Post by pricefarm » Thu May 23, 2019 9:30 pm

I like Vermeers. Why not get a new Vermeer say a 5410 or a m series's? I have a 554xl behind a 5525 JD and the baler will eat hay faster than my tractor will pull it on hills. And yes the belts on mine sometime turns real slow until there's hay in the pick up other times they don't move

User avatar
Red Bull Breeder
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7621
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:26 am
Location: North Arkansas
Has thanked: 293 times
Been thanked: 288 times

Re: New Baler

Post by Red Bull Breeder » Thu May 23, 2019 9:45 pm

I wouldn't have a Vermeer baler as a gift. Go deere or new Holland and bale hay.

User avatar
pricefarm
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1337
Joined: Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:05 pm
Location: Southwest Va
Has thanked: 32 times
Been thanked: 19 times

Re: New Baler

Post by pricefarm » Fri May 24, 2019 5:24 am

Red Bull Breeder wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 9:45 pm
I wouldn't have a Vermeer baler as a gift. Go deere or new Holland and bale hay.
Why?

User avatar
cfpinz
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5712
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2005 12:11 pm
Location: Virginia
Been thanked: 32 times

Re: New Baler

Post by cfpinz » Fri May 24, 2019 6:15 am

pricefarm wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 9:30 pm
I like Vermeers. Why not get a new Vermeer say a 5410 or a m series's? I have a 554xl behind a 5525 JD and the baler will eat hay faster than my tractor will pull it on hills. And yes the belts on mine sometime turns real slow until there's hay in the pick up other times they don't move
Assuming yours has them, have you adjusted the small coil springs on the bottom side of the large tension springs? On my old L, I had to adjust them occasionally - think the setting was 4-1/2". That helped to get the belts going at startup.

To the OP, the Rebel and Utility model are both base models, no frills and you get what you get. We've had Vermeer balers since the late 70's/early 80's and they've been good to us, both the balers and especially the company. Vermeer is one of the extremely few companies that I can say has been a pleasure to work with.
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.

User avatar
Red Bull Breeder
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7621
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:26 am
Location: North Arkansas
Has thanked: 293 times
Been thanked: 288 times

Re: New Baler

Post by Red Bull Breeder » Fri May 24, 2019 6:38 am

So you can bale hay when you need to. I have saw more Vermeer balers burn than any other brand. Never seen the net wrap work like I think it should on a Vermeer. I don't think they make a nice a bale as a Deere or New Holland.

hillbilly beef man
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1367
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 2:30 pm
Location: northeast TN
Been thanked: 8 times

Re: New Baler

Post by hillbilly beef man » Fri May 24, 2019 8:15 am

Texasmark wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 8:01 am
True Grit Farms wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 7:32 am
A Vermeer 5400 is the simplest baler made, and the best. IMO And by the way the belts aren't supposed to turn until hay is forced against them by the pickup.
No idea as to the 5400 but my JD 375, for the STO type farm is a honey, hands down. Had to put some roller bearings in it because the PO left it out in the weather but being a '91 model....so be it.
Dad bought a 375 new in 1993. We have put 500 bales a year through it every year since then. A couple of belts and a set of tires is all that has ever been spent on it, but it has also never been rained on. Not bad for a 26 year old baler.
There is no education in the second kick of a mule.

User avatar
Silver
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1714
Joined: Tue May 19, 2009 12:08 am
Location: BC Peace River country
Has thanked: 561 times
Been thanked: 498 times

Re: New Baler

Post by Silver » Fri May 24, 2019 9:41 am

Red Bull Breeder wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 6:38 am
So you can bale hay when you need to. I have saw more Vermeer balers burn than any other brand. Never seen the net wrap work like I think it should on a Vermeer. I don't think they make a nice a bale as a Deere or New Holland.
I have a JD 566 that I parked shortly after I bought the Vermeer 605N. I just use the JD when I have to run two balers to catch up. I used to think it was quite a machine but now I can see that there is no comparison between the two.
And I wouldn't have a NH under any circumstances. Too many of them in the area with all sorts of gremlins.
So I guess to each their own.

User avatar
CCCowman
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 121
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:08 pm
Location: East Tennessee
Has thanked: 46 times
Been thanked: 20 times

Re: New Baler

Post by CCCowman » Fri May 24, 2019 6:16 pm

cfpinz wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 6:15 am
pricefarm wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 9:30 pm
I like Vermeers. Why not get a new Vermeer say a 5410 or a m series's? I have a 554xl behind a 5525 JD and the baler will eat hay faster than my tractor will pull it on hills. And yes the belts on mine sometime turns real slow until there's hay in the pick up other times they don't move
Assuming yours has them, have you adjusted the small coil springs on the bottom side of the large tension springs? On my old L, I had to adjust them occasionally - think the setting was 4-1/2". That helped to get the belts going at startup.

To the OP, the Rebel and Utility model are both base models, no frills and you get what you get. We've had Vermeer balers since the late 70's/early 80's and they've been good to us, both the balers and especially the company. Vermeer is one of the extremely few companies that I can say has been a pleasure to work with.
I only bale about 250 bales a year. Dont need anything fancy. I'm leaning towards Vermeer.
Some people are just dumber in the head than a hog is in the butt.

poorboy
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 79
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2005 3:08 pm
Location: Kentucky
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: New Baler

Post by poorboy » Fri May 24, 2019 7:17 pm

I have a 450 utility. I bought it from a neighbor that had had it for a couple years. He realized it was time consuming and he was better off buying and grazing. It had about 300 through it. I've put about 2000 trough it in the past three years so far.

The only problems I have had is with auto tie. I picked up a stick and it hit perfect to bend the cut off assembly. I bent it back but still sometimes it gets in a bind. I need to replace the flipper rod for the knife. I remember it only when it doesn't cut, like the hole in the roof when its raining. One downside its a dirty baler, I mean the loose material builds up on the belts more than the little JD I have. The only other thing I don't like is hook up of the connector plug for the controls to the baler, I used a paint pen to help get them lined up.

If I was buying new I would get the net wrap and I'd think you would be pretty satisfied for many years for that amount of hay. I haven't had much experience with the rebel, but they are popular around here and I've heard nothing bad on them. Like what was said they are both base models. For that amount of hay they both would be fine. An older jd in good shape would also be a good option, especially if you have someone who knows them look it over.

I have a little 4x4 that I've used since 91 and I wouldn't care to hook up to and finish this years crop with even now. Just on an older baler little things can happen on Saturday evening on a memorial day weekend to put you in a bind. But that can happen to anyone of them even new. That's when a good dealer and good neighbors come into play. Not a bad idea to check out what they are using.

Post Reply