Virginia Hay

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
JW IN VA
Rancher
Rancher

Virginia Hay

Post by JW IN VA » Sat May 18, 2019 1:24 pm

Anyone making any hay in Va,yet?
A couple of neighbor have started cutting and baling this week.Don't know how hey got it dry that quickly but got it baled.I thought the weather was a little too iffy and need to finish some repair work anyway.
Hope to get started the first of the week.Looks good with the weather.Everything seems to be earlier this year.Seems like when I grew up,no one thought of cutting before Memorial Day.

Not everything your neighbors do is wrong-Not everything they do is right,either.

sstterry
GURU
GURU

Re: Virginia Hay

Post by sstterry » Sat May 18, 2019 2:58 pm

People here in Upper East Tennessee have started. Was over at my feed guy's this morning and his son was out getting in hay that was rolled last night. We also had a long discussion about Hayledge and how he really liked it. He wasn't putting up any this year but he was impressed using his neighbor's wrapper last year. He hates all the plastic waste though.

pricefarm
GURU
GURU

Post by pricefarm » Sat May 18, 2019 8:30 pm

I mowed a few acres on Wednesday and rolled it today. It was dried down good a lot better than I thought it would. Mowed some more today but there's a chance of rain on Monday. Monday if it isn't raining I will be mowing about everything I have the weather looks good next week

SmokinM
Rancher
Rancher

Post by SmokinM » Sat May 18, 2019 8:45 pm

I am in central VA and I baled some today that was cut Tuesday. It was pretty good I got lucky and the showers missed my hay field mostly. Some have been cutting here for 3 weeks but they are fooling themselves when they think they got it dry. I wonder really how much truly dry hay you can make here in VA, the relative humidity is not forecast to get below 50% anytime in the next 10 days. Even with no rain it seems it only dries to a point. I give mine a good day or two more than most to cure and use a tedder at least twice on most all of it. Had the usual rocky start with a few pieces of equipment. Seems no matter how much fixin and repairing I do in the off season there is always something that won’t work right when I hit the field.

cowrancher75
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by cowrancher75 » Sun May 19, 2019 2:52 pm

i'm not in VA but should be cutting now. still hitting 40's in the night and chance of tstorms every other day. been gettin them too. 6" soaker the other day.

ground is wet.. grass is cow head high.. oh well

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Post by kenny thomas » Sun May 19, 2019 3:27 pm

Many here got it wet last night. .2"here.
I didn't gave hay down but had just sprayed some Multiflora Rose with Cimmeron. Will see in a couple days if I wasted it
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Post by kenny thomas » Sun May 19, 2019 8:44 pm

Hook2.0 wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 4:14 pm
kenny thomas wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 3:27 pm
Many here got it wet last night. .2"here.
I didn't gave hay down but had just sprayed some Multiflora Rose with Cimmeron. Will see in a couple days if I wasted it
We just got rain again
Sprayed until almost dark. One downside to having all electric fence and divided into paddocks is it takes a lot of spraying.
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

cfpinz
GURU
GURU

Post by cfpinz » Mon May 20, 2019 6:26 am

Cut some Friday, baled it last night. Just a tad on the green side, but not enough to hurt anything. That particular field put out 30% more than last year.
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.

JW IN VA
Rancher
Rancher

Post by JW IN VA » Mon May 20, 2019 6:57 am

SmokinM wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 8:45 pm
Had the usual rocky start with a few pieces of equipment. Seems no matter how much fixin and repairing I do in the off season there is always something that won’t work right when I hit the field.
Been there more than I would like. Still wrenching.
Not everything your neighbors do is wrong-Not everything they do is right,either.