pearl millet and cow peas

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

pearl millet and cow peas

Post by skyhightree1 » Fri May 03, 2019 10:33 am

Has anyone ever planted pearl millet with cow peas? If so how did that workout?

Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

ValleyView
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: pearl millet and cow peas

Post by ValleyView » Fri May 03, 2019 2:06 pm

Just did a few weeks ago along with quite a few other varieties. Would be happy to report back in a few weeks.
First generation Brangus Cow Calf producer.

Easier to learn when you don’t know much!

VVCC

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Post by skyhightree1 » Fri May 03, 2019 2:11 pm

ValleyView wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 2:06 pm
Just did a few weeks ago along with quite a few other varieties. Would be happy to report back in a few weeks.
Please do
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Post by 1982vett » Fri May 03, 2019 7:47 pm

I did a test run back in 2011 to see if it would work....but everything was a failure that year so nothing to report.
Aug 7, 2019 22:51GMT -5 the illustrious potentate said:
Because you have the freedom to say what you think, doesn't always mean that you should.

The right to speak freely is not free of consequences.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Post by skyhightree1 » Fri May 03, 2019 8:55 pm

1982vett wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 7:47 pm
I did a test run back in 2011 to see if it would work....but everything was a failure that year so nothing to report.
Definitely wasn't a good year

jdg
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by jdg » Fri May 10, 2019 4:54 pm

I've been planting summer annual mixes for the past 6 years in south Ga. These are my favorite species...roughly in order:
Pearl Millet (tif leaf 3 and BMR 360 King agri)
Sunn Hemp
Sorghum Sudan (fear the sugar cane aphid if you're in the south...i only put a few pounds in)
Crabgrass
Cowpea

and this year i'll be adding: buckwheat, Sunflower, Alyce Clover, and Okra. These mostly for soil health, and not because cows love them.

Cowpeas can't really keep up with the growth of the millets and Sudans...you get some second growth after your first graze if you don't hit it too hard the first time through, but the sunn hemp is the heavy lifter legume...its grows like crazy.

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Post by Caustic Burno » Fri May 10, 2019 5:36 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 10:33 am
Has anyone ever planted pearl millet with cow peas? If so how did that workout?
I do with soybeans and sorghum.
Makes a fine food plot.
Money doesn’t buy happiness, but the lack does buy misery.

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Nesikep » Fri May 10, 2019 5:42 pm

jdg wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 4:54 pm
I've been planting summer annual mixes for the past 6 years in south Ga. These are my favorite species...roughly in order:
Sunn Hemp
Sorghum Sudan (fear the sugar cane aphid if you're in the south...i only put a few pounds in)
Crabgrass
Cowpea

and this year i'll be adding: buckwheat, Sunflower, Alyce Clover, and Okra. These mostly for soil health, and not because cows love them.

Cowpeas can't really keep up with the growth of the millets and Sudans...you get some second growth after your first graze if you don't hit it too hard the first time through, but the sunn hemp is the heavy lifter legume...its grows like crazy.
didn't realize sunn hemp was a legume, I thought it was a grass... I've considered Pearl millet but it's hard to get seed here.

We've done a lot of buckwheat, our problem with it is it wants SOOO much water in our temps and irrigation just knocks it down flat.. it'll grow 6 ft high but be 6" off the ground doing it... we use it for green manure alone
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

snoopdog
GURU
GURU

Post by snoopdog » Fri May 10, 2019 7:19 pm

jdg wrote:
Sunn Hemp
Crabgrass
Cowpea

What is your normal rainfall after first graze, and about a date on the calendar. It seems you're pretty humid there, just going off my experiences traveling.
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Post by Stocker Steve » Fri May 10, 2019 9:52 pm

jdg wrote:
Sunn Hemp
Crabgrass
Cowpea

Why do you like pearl millet more than sorghum sudan ?
Stocker Steve

Banjo
GURU
GURU

Post by Banjo » Sat May 11, 2019 6:24 am

jdg wrote:
Sunn Hemp
Crabgrass
Cowpea

Do you drill this mix into existing pasture?

That's my opinion.....feel free to make it yours.

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Post by callmefence » Sat May 11, 2019 7:20 am

Stocker Steve wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 9:52 pm
jdg wrote:
Sunn Hemp
Crabgrass
Cowpea

Why do you like pearl millet more than sorghum sudan ?
:pop:
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

jdg
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by jdg » Sat May 11, 2019 6:55 pm

pearl millet is a little easier to manage (Sorghum Sudan has a tendency to get stemmier) and grows in lower pH soils...it also does not attract sugar cane aphids, if you are within their reach. You can probably get slightly better ADG's out of SS.

In south GA, we can often start planting summer annuals in mid to late April, and as late as early July. (you can plant them later, but might only get one graze).

I've overseeded annuals in fields that we manage no-till for summer and winter annuals, planted them in perennial pastures, and in clean till. They do best in clean till, next in annual no-till, and usually perform the least overseeded in perennial pastures. Obviously the more fertility and moisture you have, the better. A lot of our annual plantings we can irrigate, but not all.

jdg
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by jdg » Sat May 11, 2019 6:57 pm

Pearl Millet also has an amazing ability to survive very little moisture, and then grows exponentially once it receives water.

Texasmark
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Texasmark » Sun May 12, 2019 6:39 am

jdg wrote:
Sunn Hemp
Crabgrass
Cowpea

Mind sharing your soil type and average PH?