Small Squares

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
littletom
Rancher
Rancher

Small Squares

Post by littletom » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:42 pm

Anyone sell them, what is your experience horse quality ? Orchard grass and timothy and or alfalfa

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Small Squares

Post by Bigfoot » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:31 pm

I put up a few for myself, but never sell them. I believe a man could sell all the square bales he could make in my area. Horse people are going to shy away from fescue. About anything else, and they’ll be happy. Personally, I prefer fescue for my horses. The earlier it can be cut, the better. For everyone that’ll feed alfalfa, there is somebody that won’t. In my opinion, not worth the extra fuss to fool with.

Friend of mine sells wads of square baled hay. He’s got a nice thing going. He bales, while a couple of Amish kids load the wagon. He has 6 large hay wagons. Pulls them in a shed, and calls whoever is up next to get a load. People seem to be happy with the arrangement, and the bale is only handled one time.
Your not a small business owner. Your a stay at home mom trapped in a pyramid scheme.

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Post by Stocker Steve » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:40 pm

[quote=Bigfoot Horse people are going to shy away from fescue. About anything else, and they’ll be happy. Personally, I prefer fescue for my horses.
[/quote]

What is wrong with fescue hay?
Stocker Steve

5S Cattle
Rancher
Rancher

Post by 5S Cattle » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:41 pm

What are small squares of alfalfa going for around y’all?

littletom
Rancher
Rancher

Post by littletom » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:46 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:40 pm
[quote=Bigfoot Horse people are going to shy away from fescue. About anything else, and they’ll be happy. Personally, I prefer fescue for my horses.
[/quote]

Mares red bag. Foals can't break through placenta during birth often die if no one standing there.

littletom
Rancher
Rancher

Post by littletom » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:46 pm

5S Cattle wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:41 pm
7 bucks normally none to buy right now

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Bigfoot » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:59 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:40 pm
[/quote]

Nothing wrong with it for me. I could see if you had brood mares being Leary of it, if it was cut late. Most horse people operate off what they’ve heard, and not what they know. They heard somebody say don’t feed it to a horse, so they won’t.
Your not a small business owner. Your a stay at home mom trapped in a pyramid scheme.

5S Cattle
Rancher
Rancher

Post by 5S Cattle » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:22 pm

littletom wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:46 pm
5S Cattle wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:41 pm
7 bucks normally none to buy right now
$20 down here

Dave
GURU
GURU

Post by Dave » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:41 pm

Around here small squares of alfalfa by the truck load will run about $240 a ton plus trucking. At the feed store selling single bales they run $15 and up.

ohiosteve
GURU
GURU

Post by ohiosteve » Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:13 pm

I've learned that if I put up small squares that are green and soft with no mold I have no problem at all selling them to horse folks. I've learned it's best to tell them come take a look, it's nothing special if they don't want it I know I'll have no problem selling it. I have orchard grass, Timothy and brome from a cheap pasture seed mix I buy at rko.
People are usually shocked when they find out I'm not a very good electrician.

Named'em Tamed'em
GURU
GURU

Post by Named'em Tamed'em » Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:30 pm

Small alfalfa squares are 22-26 a bale here now.
Get over it! It could have been alot worse.

sstterry
GURU
GURU

Post by sstterry » Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:46 am

40lb fescue squares are about $5 per bale here. But we did have an excellent growing season last year. I have seen some alfalfa for sale but did not see the price.

Texasmark
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Texasmark » Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:16 am

Bigfoot wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:31 pm
I put up a few for myself, but never sell them. I believe a man could sell all the square bales he could make in my area. Horse people are going to shy away from fescue. About anything else, and they’ll be happy. Personally, I prefer fescue for my horses. The earlier it can be cut, the better. For everyone that’ll feed alfalfa, there is somebody that won’t. In my opinion, not worth the extra fuss to fool with.

Friend of mine sells wads of square baled hay. He’s got a nice thing going. He bales, while a couple of Amish kids load the wagon. He has 6 large hay wagons. Pulls them in a shed, and calls whoever is up next to get a load. People seem to be happy with the arrangement, and the bale is only handled one time.
My Bermuda pasture has worn out and I spent a lot of time deciding on what's next. In my search for what works here in N. Texas and is affordable, with decent yield for round baling, I settled on Ky 31 Tall Fescue. In my 3rd year and it's doing beautifully and I think I made a super choice.

On horse folks and things they feed their horses and their horses eat I think "Colic" is #1 on the oh my gosh list for feed induced health problems in Equines. I have horse neighbors that feed their horses sorghum-sudan roundd bales of hay out in remote pastures, right along with their cattle...no feed distinction....year after year, no casualties that I know of. Have another in particular that started out with 21 Arabian horses, has never bred nor rode nor improved the 60+ acres they bought years ago, no this nor that.....last time I counted was 15, (attrition took it's toll) and she only feeds green Coastal Bermuda Squares and some hand fed oats......some people buy feed for their personal consumption, not their horses.

Just like anything else to CYA for a reason, people who produce/market "things" list each and every instance of anything going astray while used/operated/consumed/fed to the "general public" which is made up of variances in mentality and conditions from A to Z anywhere in the world, under any kind of condition/usage. Seems "Common Sense" isn't so common!

hillbilly beef man
GURU
GURU

Post by hillbilly beef man » Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:43 am

$3 bale picked up in the field here. If I had the time I could sell my hay in small squares to horse people and buy all my hay for cattle and come out pretty good.
There is no education in the second kick of a mule.

midTN_Brangusman
Rancher
Rancher

Post by midTN_Brangusman » Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:03 am

I got a a neighbor that buys semi loads of Bermuda and alpha large square bales from out west. Busts them up and makes small square bales and resells on craigslist to horse folks. Got a pretty neat setup with a conveyor belt. He must be doing pretty good, quit his day job now that's all he does.