Missouri Stocking Rates

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
Ginther
Beginner
Beginner

Missouri Stocking Rates

Post by Ginther » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:28 am

First time post although I’ve scoured this site for a long while. I’m very interested in purchasing some land in Missouri to run cattle. I know it all depends on location and how much brush/ improved pasture there is, but I was wondering if some Missouri cattle people could tell me stocking rate. I’m currently looking at some places in the neighborhood of 750-1000 acres and they are saying they can run 200-375 momma cows. I’m just wanting to get some first hand testimonials. Also how much money per acre per year do you put into fertilizer for your more improved grasses. Thanks for any and all information!

Dueyb
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: Missouri Stocking Rates

Post by Dueyb » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:09 pm

I’m in southern IA about 30 miles north of MO line. Most folks around here graze 2-3 acres and hay another 1-2 acres per pair (less if grazing crop residue or feeding silage). We personally graze a pair per 3 acres from late April into mid-November with 6 paddocks and weekly moves on land that is about half ridges and half really steep. We don’t put up any hay and therefore don’t fertilize. Has a good stand of fescue, orchard, timothy, and lots of clover/trefoil so graze it right and shouldn’t need much. I think northern MO is a great place to run cattle. Ground is reasonably priced, R/E taxes are cheap, it’s scenic, and not all that many people in some areas.

SoILcattle
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by SoILcattle » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:38 pm

10 miles from the river in Southern Illinois we can run 2 pair per acre with good management.

T & B farms
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by T & B farms » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:14 am

What kind of grass? Fescue I’m assuming. Here I’ve been having good luck with one pair to 2.5-3 acres. With some management and a couple fall rains, you can get by on very little hay.

Ginther
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Ginther » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:26 am

I’ve mainly found places in southern Missouri, but I’d be interested in a place anywhere. I live in northwest Kansas, but I’m currently running cows in Montana after the ranch I had cattle on in Colorado sold for tons of money. I’m looking to get a place to keep everything together and not jump around. Some of the places are already super improved with small paddocks to rotational graze every couple days/weeks and I’m sure I could get used to that over a couple weeks/years of doing it.

Ginther
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Ginther » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:36 am

Mainly fescue with a small amount of Bermuda grass.

Dueyb
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by Dueyb » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:23 am

I’m not as familiar with Southern Mo but I do believe they have much thinner soils and rock. Also, MO fencing laws are different by the county and I believe most of the state is a fence in state with the exception of several northern counties.

cowrancher75
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by cowrancher75 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:37 pm

how much are you looking to spend

Ginther
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Ginther » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:42 am

The current places I’ve looked at have been in the 1.5-2.4 range. The cattle paying for the ground is a must. They way I’ve penciled some of these places they will work.

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Post by Stocker Steve » Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:49 pm

[quote=Ginther Thanks for any and all information!
[/quote]

Really need to specify the length of the grazing season along with the stocking rate.

We can run a pair per acre (for a short 4 to 5 month season) with 40#N - - but this is usually not the most economical approach.
Stocker Steve

cowrancher75
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by cowrancher75 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:20 pm

Ginther wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:42 am
The current places I’ve looked at have been in the 1.5-2.4 range. The cattle paying for the ground is a must. They way I’ve penciled some of these places they will work.
i'm looking at some of the same places, I know what place your talking about with the bermuda. It is a nice place. It seems like we are limited to numbers until you can afford the 5+ million ranches. not much to buy out there unless you can piece of some together.. and everyone wants a ton of money for their junk house... I can't buy until late this year, so i'm not competing with you right now :cboy:

MikeBo
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by MikeBo » Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:32 am

We run cattle outside of Mountain View Mo., southern Mo. is some of the densest cattle country in the US, the state is always in top 5 for total cattle but most of those animals are in the lower 1/3 bellow 54 highway. This provides great access to vets, markets, feed, etc, Very short winters but can be wet, we feed hay January to March but strip graze some locations

We have properties that stock a pair on 1.68 acres up to 2.5, rates are on places with Bermuda, Caucasian, etc. We do have to fertilize Bermuda, Caucasian, and some hay fields. The remainder we just spray for weeds and once clean sow clover.

blacksnake
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by blacksnake » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:58 pm

If someone is able to run 2 pair per acre I bet they have a short growing season and feed hay many months as well as a lot of supplementation. Just wish I could come close to that.

MikeBo
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by MikeBo » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:49 am

blacksnake wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:58 pm
If someone is able to run 2 pair per acre I bet they have a short growing season and feed hay many months as well as a lot of supplementation. Just wish I could come close to that.
We have one farm that runs a pair for 1.68 acres, 14 paddocks, 3 with Bermuda, and 30 acres of Caucasian. We overseed Bermuda with annual rye, cattle do well. No fescue on the place. Most of our places require 2.5 acres per pair. Sorry if I was unclear.

Ebenezer
GURU
GURU

Post by Ebenezer » Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:54 am

The NRCS web soil survey can help you target tracts with better soils or less amendments needed. That means a lot in the long run as far as inputs, limitations and productivity.