Renting ground for hay production

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Renting ground for hay production

Post by Bigfoot » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:56 pm

I have never rented ground for making hay. I have cut hay on the shares, a third and two thirds is the best trade I’ll make. Normally, I buy the other man’s third in the field for $25-30 a roll. It makes for expensive hay, when it’s all said and done. That day is gone for me either way, because everything I was cutting has been lost to row crop. It’s all gone.

Here’s the problem here. Every single solitary speck of ground is either in row crop, or the CRP program. I “hear” the banks have cut back on operating loans for cash rent. My sources say, they won’t the farmers to put crops out on the shares. I couldn’t swear any of that will happen, and I can’t promis if it did, it would free up any land.

I’ve ran some numbers, and renting ground for $70 an acre, and planting sudex will make for very expensive hay rolls. I’m talking if you made 4 rolls to the acre having $80 a roll in it. Good year brings the price down of course, and a dry year drives it up. No way those numbers work, not for me any way. Trucking hay in, is equally expensive as well.

What in the world do you plant on rented ground, that makes it feasible?

Your not a small business owner. Your a stay at home mom trapped in a pyramid scheme.

snoopdog
GURU
GURU

Re: Renting ground for hay production

Post by snoopdog » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:03 pm

I think our climates are comparable, and imo, wheat or oats is gonna be your best bet, but 70 an acre even that's iffy. Is it a long term lease? That could make a difference.
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Post by Caustic Burno » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:06 pm

I rented a couple hayfields for years.
They were hayfields.
Now I planted five acres of pearl millet one year and got two fantastic cuttings. Cows loved it what I didn’t like is the drying time.
When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat. Ronald Reagan

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Post by True Grit Farms » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:07 pm

Can't see planting anything that will work on $70 ground. We pay up to $30 per acre for established hay ground and that's to much.
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

pricefarm
GURU
GURU

Post by pricefarm » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:24 pm

I think you would be better off paying 30$ a roll than renting the ground then going to the expense of planting a crop to harvest as hay.

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Bigfoot » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:30 pm

pricefarm wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:24 pm
I think you would be better off paying 30$ a roll than renting the ground then going to the expense of planting a crop to harvest as hay.
There really hadn’t been any hay here to buy for several years now. I lose ground every year, and hay to buy just seems to get more scarce. It’s almost not about economics, it’s more about availability. Caustic says it best, when he says welfare cattle. I get up that $80 a roll range, and these ladies won’t be making a dime.
Your not a small business owner. Your a stay at home mom trapped in a pyramid scheme.

pricefarm
GURU
GURU

Post by pricefarm » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:32 pm

Bigfoot wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:30 pm
pricefarm wrote:
There really hadn’t been any hay here to buy for several years now. I lose ground every year, and hay to buy just seems to get more scarce. It’s almost not about economics, it’s more about availability. Caustic says it best, when he says welfare cattle. I get up that $80 a roll range, and these ladies won’t be making a dime.
Is there any corn silage around ? Here you can buy corn silage for around 60$ a ton. I wonder how much hay you can replace with corn silage?

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Bigfoot » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:50 pm

pricefarm wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:32 pm
Bigfoot wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:30 pm
pricefarm wrote:
Is there any corn silage around ? Here you can buy corn silage for around 60$ a ton. I wonder how much hay you can replace with corn silage?
At the moment, there is no corn silage. Amish dairies are quiting milking right and left. They have the equipment and the ground, so that might open as a possibility. I have considered driving to them individually and seeing if an arrangement could be made. Personally, I’d like to keep my dealings with them at zero.

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Post by ddd75 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:52 pm

i planted around 3 acres of dwarf sudan right into a existing pasture and got somewhere around 50 rolls.. 4x4's.

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Post by ddd75 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:56 pm

been a few years.. i think it was somewhere around that. i got 5 cuttings.

sstterry
GURU
GURU

Post by sstterry » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:07 pm

pricefarm wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:32 pm
This adds nothing to this thread other than to say that growing up it was my job after school to feed about 100 head by hand with corn silage. We stored it in an old cement silo and I had to take a silage fork and throw it out of the silo and then load it in a wheelbarrow and dump it along the feed way. I hated it at the time, but I wish I could go back and do it again.

pricefarm
GURU
GURU

Post by pricefarm » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:23 pm

Wow feeding silage to 100 head is a lot of shoveling. You must have had a strong back

MtnCows93
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by MtnCows93 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:53 pm

id look into baling corn stalks and having them poured with liquid feed, im pretty sure you would not need a grinder but it would probly pay for itself depending on your numbers. or possibly just feeding the stalks plain and putting out lick tanks for the cows/ creep feeders for the calves. is there any big corn fields nearby you could rent and graze all winter?

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Bigfoot » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:05 pm

ddd75 wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:52 pm
i planted around 3 acres of dwarf sudan right into a existing pasture and got somewhere around 50 rolls.. 4x4's.
You just burned the pasture down with glyphosate and no till drilled it in? I have lost a few acres to broomsedge, and had contemplated going in with dwarf Sudan. I figure for what it would cost to turn under, fertilize, lime, and reseed that the same amount spent on a Sudan crop in the same place would yield more. I haven’t gotten past the reading about dwarf Sudan though. I think if they named it something different, it’d be grown all over.

Lucky
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Lucky » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:37 pm

It’s looking more and more like feeding a good commodity mix instead of hay is going to be the going thing. I know several that are doing it here and making it work. Seems like 12# a day is what a cow needs. This would put my cost at $1.44 a head. This year it cost me $1.75 to feed hay. I know this is off topic but thought I’d throw it out there.