Got a good rain

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
chevytaHOE5674
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: Got a good rain

Postby chevytaHOE5674 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:51 pm

Being 1/2 of a mile from the largest body of fresh water on the planet means that unless something crazy happens we don't really get "drought" like other areas do. Even if we don't get rain we always get mist/fog off the water and heavy dew which amounts to more than what some people would call a "good rain".

Getting rain all season to the point there are cat tails in your fields, grass is flooded out and dead, and animals have had their feet rot right off is just as bad as drought in my eyes.
0 x

coachg
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby coachg » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:17 am

chevytaHOE5674 wrote:I wish I could send our rain elsewhere. Almost 6" in the last 48 hours and supposed to continue steady for 48 more. Add that on top of out 100 and some odd inches since May and its just been a slop shop all year, never in my life have I wanted a little bit of a drought like I do now.

After last summers drought I'll take this year's wet slop any time !
0 x
John 3:16 For God so loved the world...

chevytaHOE5674
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby chevytaHOE5674 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:21 am

coachg wrote:After last summers drought I'll take this year's wet slop any time !

Last summer was almost as wet as this summer UP here. My backyard and hay lot which are usually dry have had standing water in them going on about 20 months now. Last fall was very wet here then winter came with a bang and there was mud and standing water underneath our 4 feet of snow and it stayed that way right thru this spring when it started raining and hasn't quit. Most of our ground has been wet so long that there is white and black mold growing on the soil...

Like I said there's really no such thing as a true drought where I live. I would gladly take a couple of months with no moisture, but that will never happen this time of year. So hopefully next summer things dry up some.
0 x

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:29 am

Rain is in the forecast for Tuesday, but they say it'll only be sprinkles. Right now a few sprinkles may be the only reason my seed survives, if it does.
0 x
"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

coachg
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby coachg » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:50 pm

ChevytaHOE, Polar opposites in N Alabama . Last summer was dry , our ponds dried up and I had to haul water to our cows. We struggled to have enough grazing and barely made it through the winter with what little hay we made. This summer has been extremely wet, from the Spring through this weekend, 3 inches last night ! We struggled to get hay cut and cured to bale between wet spells, but we have 3 times the hay we normally carry into the winter ! I wasn't making light of your plight and know constant dampness can causes issues with your cattle. Hoping you get some dry days !
0 x
John 3:16 For God so loved the world...

5S Cattle
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby 5S Cattle » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:37 pm

I planted 30 acres of wheat and crimson clover last Saturday. Got an inch Sunday morning on it and I noticed it's about 2 inches tall today. We were real dry though so we need some more. 80-90% chance on tue-wed so it's looking pretty good
0 x

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:12 pm

5S Cattle wrote:I planted 30 acres of wheat and crimson clover last Saturday. Got an inch Sunday morning on it and I noticed it's about 2 inches tall today. We were real dry though so we need some more. 80-90% chance on tue-wed so it's looking pretty good

Yeah, I’m hoping that one doesn’t pass us by too. The rain we got last Sunday let our oats grasp for life like a drowning person gasps for air. Pastures need better moisture ( and cooler temps) to transition to winter grasses. Nothing is thriving right now.
0 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:24 pm

Went out today and checked on my pasture. Looks like everything sprouted and died off due to lack of moisture. This is the second time this exact same scenario has played out for me.
0 x
"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

chevytaHOE5674
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby chevytaHOE5674 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:55 pm

Approaching 9" of liquid moisture in the last few days, and there is a bunch of wet slushy snow to melt also, so probably close to 12" of moisture in the last 5 or so days. 3-5 more inches of snow for tonight.
0 x

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:57 pm

slick4591 wrote:Went out today and checked on my pasture. Looks like everything sprouted and died off due to lack of moisture. This is the second time this exact same scenario has played out for me.

Mines not dead, but it’s not growing....musta had some frost a few days ago, Bermuda looks burnt.
0 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:12 pm

Been showering off and on most of the afternoon. Maybe half inch so far.

Look hard enough you can see the oats in this Bermuda. Planted about a month ago.

This was planted a week ago after a rain.

0 x

Return to “Grasses, Pastures and Hay”