Soil Sample Results

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Re: Soil Sample Results

Postby kenny thomas » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:50 am

Banjo wrote:
kenny thomas wrote:
herofan wrote:
$4,000 for the fertilizer that contains the specific needs the soil sample suggests and lime. It’s 30 acres.
again
3 years ago I spent $176 an acre on some pasture. It produces great now. I just tested it again a couple weeks ago and it needs 80lb of P per acre. I will spread that soon.[/quote]

That sounds like an oxymoron ......if after 3 years and $176/ac. it produces great now, why does it need more now?
Soil tests are somewhat like going to the doctor once or twice a year for a checkup when your not sick......they will find something wrong with you.....but to each his own.

Banjo, I understand your,thought. My thought is,that even though it,is producing good now if i add what's needed I can add even more production in the,future. I'm trying to achieve 1 cow per 2 acres and with that stockpile enough Fescue so I,can graze most of the winter. The expense of the,fertilize and,lime is offset by less hay expense.
0 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

Some people know people, who know people, who aren't very nice people and you could get a visit from them someday. So be good people.

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:44 am

4k in fert on 30 acres is an awful lot dumped at one time.

I'd lime it now and not put any fert on it until spring. then i'd only do 1/2 the rate they said.
0 x

tom4018
GURU
GURU

Postby tom4018 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:47 am

ddd75 wrote:4k in fert on 30 acres is an awful lot dumped at one time.

I'd lime it now and not put any fert on it until spring. then i'd only do 1/2 the rate they said.

I have good luck putting P and K on in the fall. It helps to build the roots up.
0 x

Banjo
GURU
GURU

Postby Banjo » Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:37 pm

kenny thomas wrote:
Banjo wrote:
kenny thomas wrote:
again
3 years ago I spent $176 an acre on some pasture. It produces great now. I just tested it again a couple weeks ago and it needs 80lb of P per acre. I will spread that soon.[/quote]

That sounds like an oxymoron ......if after 3 years and $176/ac. it produces great now, why does it need more now?
Soil tests are somewhat like going to the doctor once or twice a year for a checkup when your not sick......they will find something wrong with you.....but to each his own.

Banjo, I understand your,thought. My thought is,that even though it,is producing good now if i add what's needed I can add even more production in the,future. I'm trying to achieve 1 cow per 2 acres and with that stockpile enough Fescue so I,can graze most of the winter. The expense of the,fertilize and,lime is offset by less hay expense.

I understand, as you say....just my thoughts only...don't bet the farm on it. :nod:
0 x

That's my opinion.....feel free to make it yours.

herofan
GURU
GURU

Postby herofan » Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:37 pm

I was wondering about that. Maybe instead of putting the old standard of triple 19 I could put the mix they recommend, but just not enough to break the bank.

It’s never my intent to be contrary, but as someone mentioned, when one runs a test, they will always find something wrong.

I realize one has to put nutrients back, but I also realize that as long as I mow and put something, I’m not going to wake up one morning and it’s a barren wasteland just because I haven’t put the suggested mix on it. It’s always going to have grasss; at least that’s been my experience.

Even though some might say it’s silly to blindly put triple 19 on it for the last 3 or 4 years, it has gradually improved each year and has doubled its yield from a few years ago, so I don’t really feel like what I have done has been a waste.
0 x

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:20 pm

tom4018 wrote:

I have good luck putting P and K on in the fall. It helps to build the roots up.

yes but his ph is off, that needs corrected first before anything.
0 x

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:22 pm

herofan wrote:

I was wondering about that. Maybe instead of putting the old standard of triple 19 I could put the mix they recommend, but just not enough to break the bank.

It’s never my intent to be contrary, but as someone mentioned, when one runs a test, they will always find something wrong.

I realize one has to put nutrients back, but I also realize that as long as I mow and put something, I’m not going to wake up one morning and it’s a barren wasteland just because I haven’t put the suggested mix on it. It’s always going to have grasss; at least that’s been my experience.

Even though some might say it’s silly to blindly put triple 19 on it for the last 3 or 4 years, it has gradually improved each year and has doubled its yield from a few years ago, so I don’t really feel like what I have done has been a waste.

you need to be putting actual amounts of P , K, and N on, not triple 19. triple 19 is very little of everything.
0 x

tom4018
GURU
GURU

Postby tom4018 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:30 pm

ddd75 wrote:
tom4018 wrote:

yes but his ph is off, that needs corrected first before anything.

I should have said to lime and put half the P and K on this fall. It has worked for me.
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:31 pm

Banjo wrote:Soil tests are somewhat like going to the doctor once or twice a year for a checkup when your not sick......they will find something wrong with you.....but to each his own.

It's your responsibility to be able to interpret the results and YOU decide if any amendments are required at all.

As for the original poster, I'd find me another fertilizer dealer. He's trying to rob you. Sure hope he's not a friend.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

MtnCows93
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby MtnCows93 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:29 pm

i would put down all the lime and fert the land needs, make it produce as much grass as possible and then add more cows to your heard accordingly
0 x

tom4018
GURU
GURU

Postby tom4018 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:35 pm

Herofan,
Have you looked at UK's AGR-1 and compared what the dealer suggested to your soil test? Would you care to share your test results?
0 x

littletom
Rancher
Rancher

Postby littletom » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:08 pm

Lucky_P wrote:Soil tested about 45 acres this fall just prior to reseeding to thicken the stand; university soils lab did the analysis. Did not call for any lime... but pH is right on the line, and I'm seeing quite a lot of broomsedge in some of the paddocks. Didn't spread lime right now, but I think I'll probably have 2T/acre spread next spring, despite their recommendation. The sedge tells me that it needs it.

Ph is not the only thing that causes broomsedge. I have it all over one field that is 6.8. It is pretty low in P
0 x

herofan
GURU
GURU

Postby herofan » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:11 pm

tom4018 wrote:Herofan,
Have you looked at UK's AGR-1 and compared what the dealer suggested to your soil test? Would you care to share your test results?

I’ll share when I can. My brother has the actual results with him and I can’t recall the specifics.
0 x

tom4018
GURU
GURU

Postby tom4018 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:21 pm

herofan wrote:
tom4018 wrote:Herofan,

I’ll share when I can. My brother has the actual results with him and I can’t recall the specifics.

If you can get the actual P and K levels that can be used to go by UK guidelines.
0 x

herofan
GURU
GURU

Postby herofan » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:29 pm

TexasBred wrote:As for the original poster, I'd find me another fertilizer dealer. He's trying to rob you. Sure hope he's not a friend.

So, are you saying there is no way that 30 acres of fescue and orchard grass could require $4,000 worth of fertilizer and lime?
1 x

Return to “Grasses, Pastures and Hay”