Extremely Profitable Big Time Operators ?

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
BFE
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: Extremely Profitable Big Time Operators ?

Postby BFE » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:03 pm

I have a friend who contracts with a big hog company. Says it used to be really good, not so much now, but what else are you gonna do with a $750,000 hog barn in the back yard?

I looked into a free range egg set up, similar deal as the hogs. It takes 12 acres and 800,000 to 1,000,000 investment in the building. Gross for the farmer is around 140,000 per year, not including the building. There are a few Mennonites not far from here doing it. If I were to do it, I'd find buy ground somewhere away from my home place and do it there, so if it went tits up on the contract I could be shed of the whole thing. No way am I tying my home place up to be at the mercy of someone else.
0 x
Formerly known as Clodhopper from SE IL

bigbull338
Beefmaster Breeder
Beefmaster Breeder

Postby bigbull338 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:06 pm

BFE wrote:I have a friend who contracts with a big hog company. Says it used to be really good, not so much now, but what else are you gonna do with a $750,000 hog barn in the back yard?

I looked into a free range egg set up, similar deal as the hogs. It takes 12 acres and 800,000 to 1,000,000 investment in the building. Gross for the farmer is around 140,000 per year, not including the building. There are a few Mennonites not far from here doing it. If I were to do it, I'd find buy ground somewhere away from my home place and do it there, so if it went tits up on the contract I could be shed of the whole thing. No way am I tying my home place up to be at the mercy of someone else.

with the layer house you can also sell your litter for $10 a ton when you clean out the layer house.theres no telling how much litter is sold around here.
0 x

BFE
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby BFE » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:53 am

I wonder how many ton you would get with 20,000 chickens? That is a big bonus, the fertilizer value.
0 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:57 am

BFE wrote:I wonder how many ton you would get with 20,000 chickens? That is a big bonus, the fertilizer value.

A lot of livestock feeders work for be nice. :nod:

Short term, we had been running extra cows on purchased hay short to re mineralize the home quarter. No confinement building note to pay off with this approach.
0 x
Stocker Steve

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:58 am

ddd75 wrote:several feeding out dairy beef and several milking. buying all inputs.

they all have new 60k trucks, trailers, semis, equipment, buildings, etc.

Reminds me of the definition of a nervous wreck. A man with a wife, girlfriend and a bank note all 30 days past due. :hide: Hard times will get rid of all that fancy equipment.....well all but the big 4x4 and the wife's Land Rover.
1 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

BFE
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby BFE » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:48 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:
BFE wrote:I wonder how many ton you would get with 20,000 chickens? That is a big bonus, the fertilizer value.

A lot of livestock feeders work for be nice. :nod:

Short term, we had been running extra cows on purchased hay short to re mineralize the home quarter. No confinement building note to pay off with this approach.

Pretty much sums it up. My hog barn friend says each big barn is worth about 250-300 acres of fertilizer. The actual cash pay is just enough to keep him on the farm, so yes he is working for the Shiite.
0 x

Return to “Grasses, Pastures and Hay”