Best deal on Hay Saving Rings/Feeders

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
Air gator
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Best deal on Hay Saving Rings/Feeders

Postby Air gator » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:48 am

Hi,
Just thought I would see if anyone could give me first-hand experience with some of the hay saving rings/feeders like Hay Conserver, Hay Mizer, etc. I got a price on another hay feeder for $1,800 and I can't afford that.
Thanks for the help.
0 x

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Re: Best deal on Hay Saving Rings/Feeders

Postby Brute 23 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:19 pm

That's crazy. A regular hay ring shouldn't be more than a couple hundred dollars.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

bball
GURU
GURU

Postby bball » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:45 pm

Air gator wrote:Hi,
Just thought I would see if anyone could give me first-hand experience with some of the hay saving rings/feeders like Hay Conserver, Hay Mizer, etc. I got a price on another hay feeder for $1,800 and I can't afford that.
Thanks for the help.

Lot of factors to consider: how many cows your feeding, how much hay and for how long, etc. etc. I feed anywhere from 25-35 cows hay for 4-5 months in a fairly harsh northern winter environment. I have used the $200 hay rings and have a couple of the very high dollar "hay saver" rings. For me, and my economy of scale, those $1600-1800 feeders will be a very long time paying for themselves. I do keep my eyes peeled for Bextra feeders being sold used or cheap. Good value in them. Something else to consider, those $200 hay rings are very easy to move without any equipment. The big ones need a tractor.
There are some studies out there that show the hay savings, I think MSU had one, and the hay savings varied from 5 to 10% but dont quote me. Again, for someone feeding 500 head, thats huge. 50 head, its going to take a while to get your money back. Good luck!
0 x
We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are.
-Anais Nin

Air gator
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Air gator » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:06 pm

Not sure how much hay you would save with this one. $319.

0 x

Air gator
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Air gator » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:35 pm

This is the $1,800 one.

0 x

M.Magis
GURU
GURU

Postby M.Magis » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:54 am

These inserts are fairly economical, and appear to me would keep more hay dry than the cheap cradles. However, I’ve never used one so its just a guess.

https://www.farmshow.com/a_article.php?aid=16458
0 x

zirlottkim
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby zirlottkim » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:10 am

A friend gave me this feed trailer. It's old and and had not been used in years. It was a ball of rust. I replaced a lot of metal, had it blasted and painted with a good marine paint at a shipyard I use, and put new tires. Also changed the hitch from the pin style to a ball receiver. I have a 3 point hitch ball on tractor so I don't have to get off tractor to hitch it up. When it's real wet in winter, I'll move it daily to keep cows on dry ground. It's a real time saver. The down side is that if your hay is not real clean, you'll have to clean it out occasionally. I've seen some of these advertised new for around $3000 but I'm sure those have a cheap paint job. I have $1600 invested in this one but with the marine paint job, it should last me a long time.
4 x

zirlottkim
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby zirlottkim » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:27 am

0 x

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:16 pm

The Hay Manager is the one I'm wanting but it's just not in the budget right now. Think they are running better than a grand.
0 x
"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:20 pm

wow with the cost of some of those rings you could buy all the extra hay for them to waste.
1 x

bird dog
Rancher
Rancher

Postby bird dog » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:24 pm

Can you roll it out? I can about half the time and then have to put a couple days worth in rings. I wish I could roll out every bale.
0 x

chevytaHOE5674
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby chevytaHOE5674 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:32 pm

slick4591 wrote:The Hay Manager is the one I'm wanting but it's just not in the budget right now. Think they are running better than a grand.

I have 3 of them and can't say enough good about them. Waste very little hay and are heavy built so the cows/tractor don't tear them up.

As for people balking at the cost yes they are expensive, but at least with the hay managers I have they are heavy built and easily last 5x as long as the "heavy duty" rings from the local farm store. So between the increased lifespan, and saved hay for me they are worth it. Yeah I could "go buy lots of extra hay" and skip the good feeder, or I could buy the feeder and feed out more cows on the same amount of hay I already have, thus making me more money.
2 x

Air gator
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Air gator » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:35 pm

I had no idea there were so many choices. Thanks for all the feedback.
One problem on some of these is that if you don't have a front-end loader they are too high to put a bale in.
Of course, the other is I live in Florida so the best hay rings seem to be from Iowa, Wisconsin, etc.
The inserts look pretty good. Thanks for the photos of the hay wagon. Not sure if I can find a used one.
You really have to calculate whether or not you are spending hay money on a feeder. It looks like the Hay Mizer might save the most hay based on the kickplate or whatever you want to call that...skirt. It weighs about 1,000 pounds.
1 x

BFE
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby BFE » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:15 pm

-We have the GoBob monster doubles. They save hay and are indestructible. Extremely heavy, though.
0 x
Formerly known as Clodhopper from SE IL

Air gator
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Air gator » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:27 pm

Thanks BFE,
The GoBobs are impressive but I don't think my tractor will lift a bale that high. Also wondering if you lose hay around the bottom on that one because it doesn't look like it has a skirt.
0 x

Return to “Grasses, Pastures and Hay”