To late to plant?

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
Ky cowboy
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

To late to plant?

Postby Ky cowboy » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:26 pm

Just got my last cutting of hay put up, and have been wanting to put some seed on the field. I have to disk it lightly bc theres not a no till drill worth a crap around to rent. Im worried it might be to late for seed now. I'm located in western ky, we usually do it in Sept but it's been a real busy year

Thanks
0 x

kentuckyguy
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: To late to plant?

Postby kentuckyguy » Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:00 pm

I think you would still have time to get some wheat in the ground. It would be a pretty big gamble getting fescue to establish.
0 x

Ky cowboy
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Ky cowboy » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:38 pm

I was wanting fescue orchard grass. Guess maybe spring time then
0 x

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:57 pm

we're having nice weather, i'm going to put some out if i can get around to do it.
0 x

M.Magis
GURU
GURU

Postby M.Magis » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:19 pm

Still warm now, but it could go down hill in a hurry. I’d wait.
0 x

kentuckyguy
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby kentuckyguy » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:46 pm

Looks like we are going to get out of this dry spell we are in too. Might be to much of a good thing for planting.
0 x

SmokinM
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby SmokinM » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:03 pm

If you have been dry all Sept. like us in VA it wouldn't have germinated or grown until it rains (hopefully Monday) so wouldn't have mattered if you planted it earlier. You can plant later in fall than people think and I have good luck doing thru October. IMO it is better to get it up and germinated in the fall even late so that it is ready to go in the spring. Spring planting of grass hasn't worked well for me.

Long and short is if it were me and I needed it I would plant it.
0 x

BFE
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby BFE » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:43 am

Shouldn't be a problem. I planted 25# each of wheat and fescue in mid October last year, and I got thick fescue now. I'm going to do some more this week, and pray for rain. We did some in the first of September, and it's very sparse. We're as dry now as I ever seen it.
0 x
Formerly known as Clodhopper from SE IL

Lucky_P
GURU
GURU

Postby Lucky_P » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:00 am

Not too late.
I drilled MaxQ fescue and Persist OG and red/ladino clover into 45 acres of thin pasture the last two days... looks like I may have hit it just right, with the rain that came in last night.
Planting fescue/OG by the end of October should still work out OK for you. I'd rather risk it later in fall than trying to get it in in the spring mud and then having it turn toes-up if it quits raining early.
0 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:45 am

Lucky_P wrote:Not too late.
I drilled MaxQ fescue and Persist OG and red/ladino clover into 45 acres of thin pasture the last two days... looks like I may have hit it just right, with the rain that came in last night.
Planting fescue/OG by the end of October should still work out OK for you. I'd rather risk it later in fall than trying to get it in in the spring mud and then having it turn toes-up if it quits raining early.

Get a better root system this time of year..
0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

u4411clb
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby u4411clb » Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:59 pm

I planted rye grass, wheat, oat mixture last Friday, so I don't think it is too late.
0 x

Ky cowboy
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Ky cowboy » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:36 pm

It rained 3 inches here today with more to come. So it'll be another week or more, but I did find a no-till drill for rent in the neighboring county. Our co-op has one but they don't take care of it and it never works right so I'll try the other one. Thanks for the advise.
0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:11 pm

When it comes to planting, I tend to think of how Ol Ma Nature does it. Grass seeds are shed in the late summer to fall and some into winter. Stuff seems to grow just fine. The only thing I would be concerned about is planting so late in the year that if the seeds germinates a hard freeze will call the young plants.
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

Return to “Grasses, Pastures and Hay”