Completely Flat Land???

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
GEAUXLIVESTOCK13
Beginner
Beginner

Completely Flat Land???

Postby GEAUXLIVESTOCK13 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:44 am

So I live in Louisiana and I can't seem to find to many large chunks of pasture that people are will to sell. We have a lot of sugar cane land down here though. How do you think completely flat land would hold up with livestock farming? I know this is somewhat of a dumb question, but my main question would be about drainage from big rainstorms and the health other animals walking around in sopping wet fields all day. Thanks for yalls answers!!

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Re: Completely Flat Land???

Postby Stocker Steve » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:17 pm

Should have a sacrifice area for wet periods.
Stocker Steve

ddd75
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ddd75 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:42 am

i bought a new flat farm with heavy top soil.

I had to deliver hay past the tractor axles to them this last winter. I poured a big concrete pad for them to stand on before the winter.

next move is to build feed barns, hay barns, etc... so I can hav ea feeding operation right near them..

everything else is great, but the wet winter sucked.

you'll have more money in infrastructure but the benefits of better forage, heavier yields, etc.. will outweigh that IMO.

It's also very very nice to "setup" your setup anyway you like anywhere you like.. instead of.. well.. I gotta put it here because thats the only flat spot.. :D

littletom
Rancher
Rancher

Postby littletom » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:37 pm

Don't see why it wouldn't work. Here flat land is in crops and rough ground in crops and cows. Really good soil type that's flat brings a premium for crops for sure if a tobacco farmer wants it.

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:39 pm

There's at least one S. Louisianian on the board, lives near Nueva Iberia. He seems to be making it work ok.
Shoot him a PM--His username is MudHog.

I used to live in the same parish as he, and up in Saint Landry Parish near Opelousus and Lafayette Parish near Carencro. They get in the fields to plant and harvest cane..you should be able to get in enough to feed and gather cattle. That gumbo does get sticky but you'll find a way.
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

bbirder
Rancher
Rancher

Postby bbirder » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:56 pm

Check your PM's
"A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years. A bad climbing rope will last you a lifetime."

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:19 pm

There a lot of cattle ran on the coastal plains of Texas water has to stack up to run off. It doesn't get any flatter than from Sabine Pass to Galveston.
I am the NRA
Brimmer Pimp

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:50 pm

hmm all I have is flat land
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

Texasmark
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Texasmark » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:03 am

The comment about hoof rot is a consideration. I grew up on the gulf coast but wasn't raising cattle back then. I'd talk to locals with the same situation as you aspire and see how they deal with it.

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:07 am

I have flat land and sugar cane is grown to the north, east and west of me. No problems raising cattle but I do use a sacrifice field when feeding cows. I'd imagine the soil type would have a lot to do with it though. Mine is sandy loam to loamy sand and if you find a rock is probably an arrowhead.
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:45 am

skyhightree1 wrote:hmm all I have is flat land

I seen flat land once. Even coon hunted on some. Couldn't walk right. We have one leg shorted than the other so we can walk the hills. So do our cows. :hide:
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

Some people know people, who know people, who aren't very nice people and you could get a visit from them someday. So be good people.

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:41 pm

kenny thomas wrote:

I seen flat land once. Even coon hunted on some. Couldn't walk right. We have one leg shorted than the other so we can walk the hills. So do our cows. :hide:

This must really hurt your weaning weights but it does explain why they have "adjusted weaning weights". I assume you plug in your slope angle and the program adjusts accordingly.
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

JSCATTLE
GURU
GURU

Postby JSCATTLE » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:28 pm

My cows are on wet ground 6 months out of the year. I know guys who run cows in the Marsh where they are grazing in water 85 percent of the time .. foot rot isn't caused by water. I haven't had a case in 4 or 5 years. If you cull that cow the problem goes away . Treat it and keep her and she will get foot rot again .
God bless America .. 1/20/17 ..

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:03 pm

JSCATTLE wrote:My cows are on wet ground 6 months out of the year. I know guys who run cows in the Marsh where they are grazing in water 85 percent of the time .. foot rot isn't caused by water. I haven't had a case in 4 or 5 years. If you cull that cow the problem goes away . Treat it and keep her and she will get foot rot again .

That is what I've seen also. Sometimes I'll have one get an injury to a hoof and the muck may delay healing but they always heal and I don't even treat unless it really affects its mobility.

I don't think any land is completely flat. My land is flat but it has hills to. Only thing is my hills are inverted.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:23 pm

Jogeephus wrote:
kenny thomas wrote:

This must really hurt your weaning weights but it does explain why they have "adjusted weaning weights". I assume you plug in your slope angle and the program adjusts accordingly.

:lol2: @ both of yall
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

Return to “Grasses, Pastures and Hay”