grass heading out

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
rollinhills
Cowhand
Cowhand

grass heading out

Postby rollinhills » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:39 pm

Can anybody tell me why the O-grass, and fescue is already heading out, seems to me we are at least three weeks early, also I have 20 ac of wheat that's heading out and is only knee high at best. It's supposed to rain here till Sat. then be pretty for a week after that maybe I can get that baled.

kickinbull
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: grass heading out

Postby kickinbull » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:00 pm

Same thing here in SC KY

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:01 pm

Don't know really......but I noticed some KR Bluestem heading out a couple days ago. Last time it did that this early was 2012 comming off the drought.

Another abnormality, I've got 3 peach trees I all but pronounced dead a month ago because they showed no sign of budding. This week they finally are putting some leaf on.
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:12 pm

My grass is green, but not growing at all. i was considering starting a thread about that, but i see I'd be the only one in that canoe. I am seriously considering starting feeding hay again. Not sure how to equitably divide 18 rolls of hay between 117 cows.
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

rollinhills
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby rollinhills » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:13 pm

I'm guessing it was the warm weather we had back early??? but heck I don't know, it sure has caught me off guard.

scf84
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby scf84 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:47 pm

Bigfoot wrote:My grass is green, but not growing at all. i was considering starting a thread about that, but i see I'd be the only one in that canoe. I am seriously considering starting feeding hay again. Not sure how to equitably divide 18 rolls of hay between 117 cows.

your not the only one, grass is pretty and green, just not growing, except for the yard.
i think if we could get a good rain that would help. been 2 weeks without rain here, just got .40 a day ago.

M.Magis
GURU
GURU

Postby M.Magis » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:53 pm

Warmer than normal weather seems to cause it to head out early. I'm having the lack of growth problem too, I assumed it was just me. I hope it gets going soon.

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:04 pm

Fescue and OG isn;t doing much. Brome and bluegrass is heading out
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

talltimber
GURU
GURU

Postby talltimber » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:43 pm

I was thinking of starting this thread as well. Same thing here. Some fescue heading out and aint but about 12-18" tall (the head). Not growing much, and we've had a couple little showers along.
If you cross the river before, leave a good horse on this side.

sim.-ang.king
GURU
GURU

Postby sim.-ang.king » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:48 pm

Spring came a month early. Wheat is heading out, ready to harvest early June most likely.

Don't sell your hay yet, you my need it.
Red Bull Breeder wrote:So Queenie works ok now?

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:15 pm

I got back from Missouri yesterday. Gone a week. Amazing to me how little the grass grew. I am disappointed in the performance of pasture grasses thus far.

Guy at the Mill blamed it on cool nights but it was cooler last year.

rollinhills
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby rollinhills » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:02 pm

I fertilized my wheat hay about a month ago and I bet some of it isn't half knee high, nothing seem to be growing right.

TANK30705
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby TANK30705 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:11 pm

My fescue has started heading out also, within last week. We are still in drought, but got 1.75 of rain in last few days!
May cut hay Sunday/Monday. That would be first ever hay, cut on my farm in April!

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:33 pm

I think grasses and especially clovers respond more to the weather that is ahead of us than what the weather is like currently, ie if my clover doesn't start to get going in autumn then I am sure that the next spring will be pretty ordinary, it just doesn't bother to germinate.

I think plants have a lot more intelligence than what we give them credit for.

Ken

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:46 pm

wbvs58 wrote:I think grasses and especially clovers respond more to the weather that is ahead of us than what the weather is like currently, ie if my clover doesn't start to get going in autumn then I am sure that the next spring will be pretty ordinary, it just doesn't bother to germinate.

I think plants have a lot more intelligence than what we give them credit for.

Ken

I agree. I can't remember ever seeing a wild oat on my place. My hay fields are wrapped up in them. Im sure my pastures are to, the cows are just eating it as fast as it grows. I just don't know what it's sudden appearance means.

We've had wet weather, and we've had warm weather, but we hadn't hardly had a ray of sunshine all year. Usually, when your out early of a morning, and there's a heavy dew, the rabbit tobacco will almost be foamy with bubbles. I'm assuming with gasses put off from photosynthesis, or the crebs cycle (wish I'd paid attention in school now). Anyway, I've noticed all spring, it's just covered in dew, and no bubbles. I guess stuff ain't growing cause it's not sunny enough.
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

Return to “Grasses, Pastures and Hay”