Low Buck Baleage

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
Stocker Steve
Mentor
Mentor

Low Buck Baleage

Post by Stocker Steve » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:53 pm

Tried to learn baleage this year. Don't think I am there yet. Used a local inline rental wrapper, but found out this fall that it did not put enough plastic wraps on. I am using a traditional baler, so have to stay under 40% moisture to keep the chains on. Feed quality seems to be mostly based on forage mix:

- RC and thistle baleage is consistent, cattle really like it
- old alfalfa and grass stand baleage is inconsistent, some spoilage in (drier) bales with a high percentage of grass, cattle do some sorting
underseeded oats baleage is consistent but course, should have cut it sooner, cattle eat it OK

Stocker Steve

Silver
GURU
GURU

Re: Low Buck Baleage

Post by Silver » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:57 pm

How many wraps did you use? I shoot for about 6, which gives me about 50 bales between changing the rolls.

Stocker Steve
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Stocker Steve » Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:58 am

I was shooting for 4 wraps...
Stocker Steve

Stickney94
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by Stickney94 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:54 pm

SS,

Well, this was my 4th year doing baleage and I can't say I've figured it out either. I've had better luck with baling hay when I think its almost too dry than baling when its too wet.

I shoot for 6 wraps on my individual wrapper. But I've also learned to really try and get the wrap to stretch/get tight as I think that is maybe as critical as # of layers.

Stocker Steve
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Stocker Steve » Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:46 pm

How do you control the amount of stretch?
Stocker Steve

Texasmark
GURU
GURU

Post by Texasmark » Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:30 am

If this makes you feel better, I have been trying to learn how to farm since 1979 and haven't mastered the "art" yet. Every time I do anything it is unlike the previous attempt. Glad I am a Small Time Operator (STO). Would probably go broke if I attempted to be a BTO....baling hay is no exception.

Stickney94
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by Stickney94 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:21 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:46 pm
How do you control the amount of stretch?
There is a tensioner on my wrapper. Each wrap brand and thickness seems to act a bit different (also weather conditions).

For my wrapper -- tensioning is far easier with two people. We start wrapping and I tension until I see a fair amount of stretch in the film.

For a roll that is 30" wide initially -- I'm guessing I set the tension so that it stretches so it goes on the bale and is more like 26" inches wide. Does that make sense? I've never measured it. I just sorta know how it should look.

I know there was a thread, maybe here, or on haytalk that described this better than I just did. There was someone that talked about stretching the film considerably -- almost to the breaking point in order to get the bale tight. Perhaps it matters more for individual wrapped bales than an inline.