Leasing Out My Land For Hay

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
Jabes0623
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Leasing Out My Land For Hay

Postby Jabes0623 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:58 am

I have 30-35 acres of really nice hay fields I'm interested in leasing out for next years hay season. Due to a new job I simply don't have the time to deal with it anymore.

The stand is mixed grass & legumes, fertilized to 100% of what's called for by soil samples & averaged just under 2.5 tons per acre on this seasons 1st cut.

There is also a brand new 60x60x16 pole barn that would be part of the lease to be used as storage for the hay.

Location is SE Ohio.

There's a lot of information out there but much of it is outdated & obviously regional. So I figured I'd come here & see if I could generate some type of consensus.

Fair price for the lease? Lease it by the acre or by the bale? Long-term contract or year by year? What's the best way to advertise the lease?

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Leasing Out My Land For Hay

Postby dun » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:20 am

Only thing I can comment on is to insure it's in writing that it will be kept up to current soil test year by year.
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

littletom
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby littletom » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:49 pm

Guy down the road from me leases 200+ acre they do it on half; then buy his half or he sells out of field. He fertilizes some some he does not. That deal don't sound to great to to me.

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:46 pm

Operators prefer doing it on shares to minimize yield risk.
Lots of hay in this country and many operators ask for two thirds.
You need to think about how long the stand will last, and what happens then?
You may want to keep the shed as a separate deal.
You need to go talk to the sustainable local operators before you consider advertising for a mineral miner.
Stocker Steve

kilroy60
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby kilroy60 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:30 am

I know of a guy who leases his bermuda field - 20 acres. The owner fertilizes and sprays the field as needed (per soil sample) and gets $11.00 per roll as the lease payment. Good info above from Stocker Steve.

ddd75
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ddd75 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:56 am

60/40 rule, you get 40%. probably more fair where you're at.

here hay ground is pretty rare most want a 50/50 deal.

i'd shoot for the 50/50 deal with barn access. make sure you put in the agreement they pay for any barn damage.. i've seen some idiots really destroy buildings shoving hay into them.

Texasmark
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Texasmark » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:48 am

dun wrote:Only thing I can comment on is to insure it's in writing that it will be kept up to current soil test year by year.

+1 on that and put it in a legal document (lease) registered with the county clerk and type it in bold print. Add to that to haul off anything put on the property during the lease. You are going to severely limit your takers but at least you will have something left when it's over. You are offering a mighty juicy morsel to would be soil abusers!

Return to “Grasses, Pastures and Hay”