Show equipment colors

Discuss the ins and outs of the showring.
Steershower
Beginner
Beginner

Show equipment colors

Post by Steershower » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:47 pm

I have a white and black steer,he has four white legs and a white head. The rest is all black. What color show halter and show stick along with color of clothes should I show In? This is my first show steer and just want to do it right.

sstterry
GURU
GURU

Re: Show equipment colors

Post by sstterry » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:54 am

I haven't shown in 40 years. I would suggest searching the internet for pictures of winners in shows and see what they are wearing. I know that FiresweepRanch's kids show and she might be able to help you.

jltrent
GURU
GURU

Post by jltrent » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:41 am

Steershower wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:47 pm
I have a white and black steer,he has four white legs and a white head. The rest is all black. What color show halter and show stick along with color of clothes should I show In? This is my first show steer and just want to do it right.
Welcome, red, white and blue wouldn't look bad with that combo calf colors.

DLD
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by DLD » Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:49 am

Black show halter always on black or black and white cattle, brown on red or red and white, your choice of black or brown on white, yellow, or grey. If you’re in a bind and need to, it’s not too big a deal to use the other color, but any color but black or brown leather show halter just doesn’t look professional/serious. For the same reasons, I prefer show sticks to be silver or black, but I can tolerate most any solid color if you must. My daughter will use nothing but carbon fiber sticks - they’re more expensive but light and strong and don’t get bent up like the aluminum ones, but her twin brother says they’re too light...
There’s nothing wrong with you wearing a little color, but again, try to look serious. Remember you’re supposed to be drawing attention to your calf, not yourself.