Bred Heifer Bloodbath

Discuss upcoming sales and sale results.
Jeanne - Simme Valley
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Bred Heifer Bloodbath

Post by Jeanne - Simme Valley » Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:44 pm

Well, sounds like if "they" think there is 30, ------ you have 30 heifers on feed now!!

Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

gcreekrch
GURU
GURU

Post by gcreekrch » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:37 pm

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:44 pm
Well, sounds like if "they" think there is 30, ------ you have 30 heifers on feed now!!
Yes, taking a rail out of one of his new panels for more bunk space shouldn’t take long. :D
Vaccinations, cheaper than whiskey. ;-)

Dave
GURU
GURU

Post by Dave » Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:21 pm

gcreekrch wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:37 pm
Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:44 pm
Yes, taking a rail out of one of his new panels for more bunk space shouldn’t take long. :D
I wouldn't have to pull down any rails. Just extend the bunk and I should replace those next two feed panels. Those panels are bent a lot more than the picture shows. But I do have 10 of those panels in a stack.

The bigger problem with more calves is mud. I do have another section of the corral but I need to build the one section of fence which isn't there. And the roof blew off the shed in that section although I could get by without that roof for now.

There is always more to do. By the time I get this place whipped into shape they will probably be hauling me off.

gcreekrch
GURU
GURU

Post by gcreekrch » Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:06 pm

Never make excuses not to own more cattle! This year is going to be a good one!
Vaccinations, cheaper than whiskey. ;-)

Jeanne - Simme Valley
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:50 am

Mud??? That's nothing. I'm worried when (IF?) our mud freezes, I may tip over with the ruts buried under the snow (that's IF and WHEN we freeze and get more snow!!).
Because of the mud, I had gravel pads built over fabric along our fences and I put round feeders up next to fence so I don't drive tractor into our winter "lots" (sacrifice areas). (Kinda same as what you are doing) But, I have one lot that I was not able to do that and we have to drive into it and end up moving feeders from bad area to next area to get ruined. This is the lot I worry about the ruts. Had a bulldozer lined up last summer to scrape excess soil off but they never got around to me.
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Dave
GURU
GURU

Post by Dave » Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:18 pm

Calves that I averaged paying about $580, I that are going to sell for about $1,200. With almost no expense into them (vaccinations and minerals). Why chop a hole in the boat when the fish are biting?

I will make improvements over the spring and summer. Then be up front with increasing the numbers next year. If the boss has problem with an increase I am sure he will say something. And we will reach an agreement on the number.