Bred Heifer Bloodbath

Discuss upcoming sales and sale results.
Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Bred Heifer Bloodbath

Post by Stocker Steve » Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:43 pm

Looked at some Minnesota December bred sale data. There were a couple large strings of bred heifers that were preged and sorted at the sales barn. A middle of the road string had the opens sell for $175 more per head than the breds. :shock: Would the most profitable time to sell all those heifers have been off summer pasture?

Stocker Steve

bird dog
GURU
GURU

Re: Bred Heifer Bloodbath

Post by bird dog » Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:45 pm

I'm not sure if it matters when you sale as long as they are open. TexasPawPaw told me one time to have my big heifers preg checked even if I knew they were open just so the would have that big O on their hip. Sound advise then as well as now.

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Nesikep » Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:50 pm

If there was such a price spread I'd be giving them all a shot of dex+lute a month before
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

Buck Randall
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by Buck Randall » Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:08 pm

Stocker Steve wrote: ↑
Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:43 pm
Looked at some Minnesota December bred sale data. There were a couple large strings of bred heifers that were preged and sorted at the sales barn. A middle of the road string had the opens sell for $175 more per head than the breds. :shock: Would the most profitable time to sell all those heifers have been off summer pasture?
Yes, last summer when they weighed 500 pounds. :D

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Post by Stocker Steve » Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:01 am

Those heifers would have weighed about 750 during the late summer, and would have been killed during the peak price - - start of grilling season - - the following spring.
Stocker Steve

Dave
GURU
GURU

Post by Dave » Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:51 am

I was thinking more like 750-800 back in May when they were bred. A couple neighbors and I (I am small potatoes in this deal) have 200 heifers contracted for August weighing 900 at $1.34. That is right at $1,200 a head. A lot of bred heifers here don't sell for that money.

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Post by Stocker Steve » Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:34 am

Dave A couple neighbors and I (I am small potatoes in this deal) have 200 heifers contracted for August [/quote wrote:
Is this an annual yearling deal, or just a one off due to the big heifer discount this fall?
Stocker Steve

Dave
GURU
GURU

Post by Dave » Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:17 pm

Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:34 am
Dave A couple neighbors and I (I am small potatoes in this deal) have 200 heifers contracted for August [/quote wrote:
Is this an annual yearling deal, or just a one off due to the big heifer discount this fall?
First time for me. Nothing new to the main guy but I don't think it is an annual thing. More of if the stars line up sort of deal. There is also 150 steers involved. I don't know the steer money as I don't have any steers. I know that neighbor B held the smaller end back last fall. But with high hay prices last winter they ended up going to town about February to save on feed.

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Post by Stocker Steve » Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:03 pm

Sounds good. I plan to sell mine off grass when the spring flush is gone. I just have to be strong and not breed them all, again...

Have you run any per acre gross margin numbers for grazing yearlings vs. pairs?
Stocker Steve

Dave
GURU
GURU

Post by Dave » Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:00 pm

Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:03 pm
Sounds good. I plan to sell mine off grass when the spring flush is gone. I just have to be strong and not breed them all, again...

Have you run any per acre gross margin numbers for grazing yearlings vs. pairs?
It would be difficult to run those numbers by acre on these. They are are being fed now. Come some time in April they will go out on rangeland. To this meadow, to that meadow. Lots of acres per head. Then in about the first of July they will come down and go out on irrigated pasture for the last month or so. At least that was the plan according to neighbor B. I am just along for the ride. I am an unpaid hired hand. My calves eating free is a way for him to pay me for my part time work. Works for both of us.

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Post by Stocker Steve » Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:09 pm

Discounted calves and free grazing. You are going to need a new tax man.
Stocker Steve

Dave
GURU
GURU

Post by Dave » Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:26 pm

Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:09 pm
Discounted calves and free grazing. You are going to need a new tax man.
It is not exactly free. This got me to adding up the things I remember. I hauled a total of 19 loads of cows or calves probably averaged 30 miles one way per trip. My truck and trailer, fuel, and time. Spent two days hauling hay from field to stack yard. Again my truck and trailer. Assisted working cows at preg check, 800-900 cows total over about 4 days. Did vaccinations at 5 brandings. Twice daily check on 100 cows at calving. I bought calves for him at the sale and hauled them home on 3 days. It is about 70 miles one way to the sale. And fed 500 calves with the mixer wagon for 4 days. So you can see things aren't exactly free. For him feeding 24 heifers is a drop in the bucket when you figure he is feeding 900 cows plus the calves that didn't leave this fall. But it is worth something to him to have an extra man that he just needs to call when he needs more help. For me, I am retired. There is direct deposit to my account twice a month no matter what I do or don't do. But it gives me something to do. On the flip side I am not tied down to anything.

Jeanne - Simme Valley
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Jeanne - Simme Valley » Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:38 pm

Dave - to me - that is an ideal situation. Good for you.
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

gcreekrch
GURU
GURU

Post by gcreekrch » Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:53 pm

Dave, you will know when you are getting overpaid when the neighbor gripes about how many of your calves he is feeding. You might want to slip out and top up at a sale when he gets busy calving! πŸ˜‡πŸ˜‰
Vaccinations, cheaper than whiskey. ;-)

Dave
GURU
GURU

Post by Dave » Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:41 pm

gcreekrch wrote: ↑
Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:53 pm
Dave, you will know when you are getting overpaid when the neighbor gripes about how many of your calves he is feeding. You might want to slip out and top up at a sale when he gets busy calving! πŸ˜‡πŸ˜‰
You might have a point there. One of his hired men was adding up the heifers in the contract deal and he said my 30 heifer. I only have 24. I guess I need to add another 6. Actually I would need to expand my feed bunk. The 24 I have fill up all the space in it now. He said we are 100 short on the contract so someone has to buy some more heifers. Might as well be me.