Protests close them

Discuss upcoming sales and sale results.
Bright Raven
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Protests close them

Post by Bright Raven » Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:18 am

hurleyjd wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:48 am
https://powellgardens.org/protecting-po ... community/

https://fox4kc.com/2018/02/21/butcher-s ... community/

I am not advocating one way or the other on this just adding some information as what is going on.
That Lone Jack, Missouri situation is a good example of NIMBY.

NIMBY exposes the hypocrites. Whether it is a landfill, mine, manufacturing plant or large slaughterhouse, it is always a great development for the community if it is in John Doe's backyard. Just not in my backyard. Lol

"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

hurleyjd
GURU
GURU

Post by hurleyjd » Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:48 am

ccr wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:00 pm
how do these activist get started? i mean who or what instigates the activism, and the sheeples that follow?

during the vietnam war there were people against it and spoke up and i got that, but some of this stuff these days i don't get.
May I ask a simple question are we as cattle producers activists or not. Is the side your on with a group of other people considered an activist that is right and the other that is against you that form as a group an activist. Are people that belong to political parties also activists that believe that their side is right. Activism is more prevalent now after all of the social media that we are exposed to and people out there that we do not know trying to reach into our minds and control our thoughts and actions. Wish the only problems we had would be why does my tractor not do right in cold weather and what is the best pickup to buy what is the best breed of cattle to raise. We can find it all right here on the Cattle Today Website which was not available to me twenty years ago.

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Post by Ky hills » Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:01 am

hurleyjd wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:48 am
ccr wrote:
how do these activist get started? i mean who or what instigates the activism, and the sheeples that follow?

during the vietnam war there were people against it and spoke up and i got that, but some of this stuff these days i don't get.
May I ask a simple question are we as cattle producers activists or not. Is the side your on with a group of other people considered an activist that is right and the other that is against you that form as a group an activist. Are people that belong to political parties also activists that believe that their side is right. Activism is more prevalent now after all of the social media that we are exposed to and people out there that we do not know trying to reach into our minds and control our thoughts and actions. Wish the only problems we had would be why does my tractor not do right in cold weather and what is the best pickup to buy what is the best breed of cattle to raise. We can find it all right here on the Cattle Today Website which was not available to me twenty years ago.
In a sense by definition of activist the root word is active so the argument could I suppose be made that someone involved in anyway with any particular subject is a activist. I believe in reality that is too simple of terms and not the complete story. I and I think most equate the term activist to be applied to someone or group using extreme measures to bring “awareness to their cause. Therefore by that definition cattle producers are not activists.
To me someone who disagrees with my way of thinking on social or political or whatever views is not an activist automatically. If an individual or a group is pushing an agenda in a confrontational or out of the ordinary way that disrupts or causes tangible problems for another then that is what I would consider activism. Asking questions objectively and even civilly arguing points and positions in appropriate settings is not what I would call activism.

cowgal604
Rancher
Rancher

Post by cowgal604 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:11 am

ccr wrote:

My step sister is an animal activist like this. She has always struggled socially. About 5 years ago she watched a few documentaries and then became vegan. She started following a big vegan personality around here. That vegan personality posts a lot about local farms. Then she started joining this person at farms protesting. And now she’s posting up with signs out front of farms weekly. Before you know it she will be freeing my animals.

My farm accounts post about this kind of stuff all the time. I try and bring light to it. Try and explain to the people that follow my account why and how most farmers care. But then I pick up an almost dead calf off the auction floor. And then people see it. Then a whole new online post gets started. One about how the farmers that “care” allowed that to happen.

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Post by Ky hills » Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:03 am

At this point there is such a generational gap between the folks who have lived directly off of the farm and land to where most folks are at least 2 to 3 or more generations dependent on stores and restaurants for their food. Most have little to know first or even second hand information on the reality of animal agriculture, so it’s easy for folks with an agenda to falsely influence others into believing them.

gcreekrch
GURU
GURU

Post by gcreekrch » Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:42 am

I have thought about this for a couple of days now and one thought keeps coming back. Did a company like Cargill or JBS fund the activist side to get rid of competition?

Stranger things have happened.
Vaccinations, cheaper than whiskey. ;-)

gcreekrch
GURU
GURU

Post by gcreekrch » Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:44 am

cowgal604 wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:11 am
ccr wrote:

My step sister is an animal activist like this. She has always struggled socially. About 5 years ago she watched a few documentaries and then became vegan. She started following a big vegan personality around here. That vegan personality posts a lot about local farms. Then she started joining this person at farms protesting. And now she’s posting up with signs out front of farms weekly. Before you know it she will be freeing my animals.

My farm accounts post about this kind of stuff all the time. I try and bring light to it. Try and explain to the people that follow my account why and how most farmers care. But then I pick up an almost dead calf off the auction floor. And then people see it. Then a whole new online post gets started. One about how the farmers that “care” allowed that to happen.
You need to photoshop this girl into something fur and post on social media. She might be rejected from the idiocy clan.
Vaccinations, cheaper than whiskey. ;-)

Redgully
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Redgully » Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:32 am

gcreekrch wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:42 am
I have thought about this for a couple of days now and one thought keeps coming back. Did a company like Cargill or JBS fund the activist side to get rid of competition?

That is the right question. Around here the activists have professional 'rent a crowd' activists, the crap they get up to is horrendous.

WFfarm
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by WFfarm » Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:31 am

gcreekrch wrote:

Like the anti-virus computer companies secretly write and release the new viruses and malware to keep their products in demand.

HDRider
GURU
GURU

Post by HDRider » Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:53 am

gcreekrch wrote:

Knowing how they paid for legislation, how could you doubt they might want to take out what competition still exists.

It most likely would be an arms length effort.
bball wrote: "The juice wasn't worth the squeeze."
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."