The Cows are coming to Town

Discuss upcoming sales and sale results.
Dave
GURU
GURU

Re: The Cows are coming to Town

Post by Dave » Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:38 am

Let's see, on a day that good 400 pound steers brought over $2.00..... watched some low line calves go through the sale for $0.20. So forget them. Long horn calves beat that by about a quarter. I will pass. Polled Herefords came through at $1.00. I had a feedlot buyer tell me that the Pinz calves have no heart and have too high of a death rate in the yard. We just don't see them here. The roan Shorthorns..... Hmmmm. What are they bred to? Another roan? That first calf will be $0.25 off, maybe more. Bred Char they would work. Even Angus you could mix in a few blue calves with a bunch of blacks and not get beat. Everyone seems to like the few blue cows you see around. So the heifers wouldn't hurt too bad.
The biggest expense in a cow/calf operation is feeding the cow. It cost the same to feed a cow who raises a good calf that is at the top of the market in value.

Stocker Steve
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Stocker Steve » Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:08 pm

Female wf F1s sell with the Angus are most sales here. I am a buyer because they are worth more. I think you need to do private treaty sales to get a consistent $75 to $150 premium. So you could buy a Hereford female that eats less and get a calf premium.

Female roans sell for $100 to $200 premium over blacks at almost any sale here. So you could use a white SH bull and get a consistent female premium.
Stocker Steve

Dave
GURU
GURU

Post by Dave » Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:13 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:08 pm
Female wf F1s sell with the Angus are most sales here. I am a buyer because they are worth more. I think you need to do private treaty sales to get a consistent $75 to $150 premium. So you could buy a Hereford female that eats less and get a calf premium.

Female roans sell for $100 to $200 premium over blacks at almost any sale here. So you could use a white SH bull and get a consistent female premium.
There are some real good Herefords (look at Chandler and Harrell Herefords) but none of them are polled or at least they didn't start out life that way. My apologize to the Polled Hereford crowd but the ones we see here are the short dumpy ones. There are a lot of F1 Hereford/Angus around here. A lot of these guys who have bred Angus for years are using a Hereford bull on their black cows. They sell well but not at a premium. The roans will be off $0.25. I do have a standing order for any blue roans but they are few and far between.