Producer v Feeder v Packer

Discuss upcoming sales and sale results.
Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Re: Producer v Feeder v Packer

Post by Stocker Steve » Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:36 pm

Nice western cow country photo. I don't expect that you have many small hobby farms in that area.

Stocker Steve

Dave
GURU
GURU

Post by Dave » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:30 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:36 pm
Nice western cow country photo. I don't expect that you have many small hobby farms in that area.
Yep, no hobby guys on that ground. I lease out my grazing rights up there. It is no country for old men either. The nearest hobby farms are probably 50 to 60 miles to the east or west in the irrigated flat ground around La Grande or the treasure valley.

bball
GURU
GURU

Post by bball » Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:35 pm

Dave wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:41 am
HDRider wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:33 am
Government grazing, huh
There are huge areas in the west which were never homesteaded. That is why the government still owns it. The reason it wasn't homesteaded was the settlers just couldn't make on the ground. Two times the government up the amount of acres one was allowed to homestead. Even that didn't work on a lot of it. This county has over a million acres of public land. About two thirds is forest service land. Most is pretty mountainous and heavily timbered. Along with high elevation. About a third is BLM. That tends to be arid land. A lot of it is steep and rocky but the water holes tend to be a long ways apart. I have grazing rights on a shared BLM allotment. It is just under 5,000 acres and allows 200 cows for 5 months of the year. It is steep. And a cow better be able to walk because it can easily be well over a mile in any direction to water. The picture is part of the grazing allotment. Not the best ground but certainly not the worse either.

25 acres per head. Yea, I imagine it would be tough for a hobby guy to make that work..judging from that picture, and your other posts, there aren't many folks living up that way..and the pic explains the why. Essentially, a niche, as SS described previously.
Dave, on those grazing rights you have access to and lease to someone else, do you have to pay for that access or is it an application process and grants you specific access upon approval? I am somewhat familiar with the BLM from my days in NM, but never utilized any of the land.
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. -Aesop
Exercising compassion provides the most linear and fulfilling state of happiness.

Dave
GURU
GURU

Post by Dave » Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:59 pm

bball wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:35 pm
Dave wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:41 am
HDRider wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:33 am
Government grazing, huh
There are huge areas in the west which were never homesteaded. That is why the government still owns it. The reason it wasn't homesteaded was the settlers just couldn't make on the ground. Two times the government up the amount of acres one was allowed to homestead. Even that didn't work on a lot of it. This county has over a million acres of public land. About two thirds is forest service land. Most is pretty mountainous and heavily timbered. Along with high elevation. About a third is BLM. That tends to be arid land. A lot of it is steep and rocky but the water holes tend to be a long ways apart. I have grazing rights on a shared BLM allotment. It is just under 5,000 acres and allows 200 cows for 5 months of the year. It is steep. And a cow better be able to walk because it can easily be well over a mile in any direction to water. The picture is part of the grazing allotment. Not the best ground but certainly not the worse either.

25 acres per head. Yea, I imagine it would be tough for a hobby guy to make that work..judging from that picture, and your other posts, there aren't many folks living up that way..and the pic explains the why. Essentially, a niche, as SS described previously.
Dave, on those grazing rights you have access to and lease to someone else, do you have to pay for that access or is it an application process and grants you specific access upon approval? I am somewhat familiar with the BLM from my days in NM, but never utilized any of the land.
I am not sure how it was originally decided. That happened back before I was born. Which was a long time ago. But it did have something to do with your base acres of deeded ground These rights came with the place when I bought it. I also have some rights in another allotment on the other side of the canyon. Both allotments are shared allotments. The one pictured is me and one other guy. The other allotment there is four people who share it. You can buy, sell, or lease the grazing rights. Leasing the BLM requires a 3 year lease. You can buy or sell forest service grazing rights but you can't lease them. The forest service requires that all cattle run on your allotment have your brand. With the buying and selling it is not nearly as cut and dry as it originally was.
I was surprise that this works out to 25 acres per cow. I guess I never figured that one. There are some areas of good grass but there is also a lot of rock and steep ground. If it were all ironed out flat there is probably 10,000 acres or more.

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Post by 1982vett » Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:31 am

Wouldn’t grazing rights on the blm land be a bit difficult to use if you don’t own or lease land next to it?
Aug 7, 2019 22:51GMT -5 the illustrious potentate said:
Because you have the freedom to say what you think, doesn't always mean that you should.

The right to speak freely is not free of consequences.

Dave
GURU
GURU

Post by Dave » Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:19 am

1982vett wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:31 am
Wouldn’t grazing rights on the blm land be a bit difficult to use if you don’t own or lease land next to it?
There are a lot of people who haul cattle to BLM leases. Some a long ways. In fact ads for ranches for sale will state, "out the gate BLM allotment" because it is a benefit not having to haul. One of the ranchers who shares on one of my allotment brings them in from about 150 miles. An other drives them up the road for about 4 miles. i would have to drive them down the road about 2 miles to that allotment. The one pictured is out my back gate. The guy I share that allotment with drives them about 3 miles and cut across my place to get them out on BLM.

HDRider
GURU
GURU

Post by HDRider » Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:34 am

Whole different ball game.
bball wrote: "The juice wasn't worth the squeeze."
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."